Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 24-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
OvEr_KiLL
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,527 Times in 1,272 Posts
which flexipads cutting applicator for hand

http://flexipads.com/products/detailing/applicators/

looking at the hand applicators, yellow, orange, green

i dont use a da and would like to correct by hand im currently using autoglym super resin polish/blackfire paint cleaner (gloss enhancing polish which doesnt contain micro abrasives) with a microfiber applicator pad...

which pad would you recommend for hand use out of those to use with super resin polish or blackfire paint cleaner on a bmw 1 series which will most likely have hard paint and is swirled and marred.

for example just not sure how much the yellow pad will cut, will it be too much?
OvEr_KiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
Atkinson91
Washmitt Meister

Dont get the MOST aggressive one, i like the look of this one - BLUE Light Clean & Glaze Applicator HLA70

With SRP, it doesn't really contain abrasives that will cut paint enough to remove medium/deep damage, it will however temporary fill in the lighter damage to bring back a lot of the gloss, you can do multiple coats of SRP (given enough time in between) so the resin fills more of the deeper stuff in. Put a sealent over the top once your done so it doesn't wash off in the next shower

If you want 'proper' scratch removal, meguiars ultimate compound with maybe the orange foam applicator should do the trick.

Last edited by Atkinson91; 24-06-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Atkinson91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #3
OvEr_KiLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkinson91 View Post
Dont get the MOST aggressive one, i like the look of this one - BLUE Light Clean & Glaze Applicator HLA70

With SRP, it doesn't really contain abrasives that will cut paint enough to remove medium/deep damage, it will however temporary fill in the lighter damage to bring back a lot of the gloss, you can do multiple coats of SRP (given enough time in between) so the resin fills more of the deeper stuff in. Put a sealent over the top once your done so it doesn't wash off in the next shower

If you want 'proper' scratch removal, meguiars ultimate compound with maybe the orange foam applicator should do the trick.
yeh i have ultimate compound. what about orange pad then with that and then blackfire paint cleaner with a microfiber applicator and a wax on top?

Last edited by OvEr_KiLL; 24-06-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 24-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
Atkinson91
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvEr_KiLL View Post
yeh i have ultimate compound. what about orange pad then with that and then blackfire paint cleaner with a microfiber applicator and a wax on top?
Sounds like a winning combination!

Also, dont forgot that blackfire is also a 'glaze' it serves the same purpose as SRP - to clean paint and fill scratches, so no need for both SRP and blackfire together, just one or the other

I couldnt tell you which one is better its been ages since i've used any glazes or paint cleaners, but i remember blackfire not being as 'gritty' or chalky as SRP can be.

Would be great to hear your opinions of the two side by side, see which one you prefer using
The Following User Says Thank You to Atkinson91 For This Useful Post:
OvEr_KiLL (24-06-2018)
Old 24-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
OvEr_KiLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkinson91 View Post
Sounds like a winning combination!

Also, dont forgot that blackfire is also a 'glaze' it serves the same purpose as SRP - to clean paint and fill scratches, so no need for both SRP and blackfire together, just one or the other

I couldnt tell you which one is better its been ages since i've used any glazes or paint cleaners, but i remember blackfire not being as 'gritty' or chalky as SRP can be.

Would be great to hear your opinions of the two side by side, see which one you prefer using
ive used srp and blackfire paint cleaner a few times without the ultimate compound.

srp fills a bit more that blackfire but doesnt leave as dark a finish on black metallic as the blackfire does.

will i need ipa wipe down after ultimate compound or will the paint cleaners in blackfire do it?
The Following User Says Thank You to OvEr_KiLL For This Useful Post:
Atkinson91 (24-06-2018)
Old 24-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #6
Atkinson91
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvEr_KiLL View Post

will i need ipa wipe down after ultimate compound or will the paint cleaners in blackfire do it?
No harm in doing a wipe down with 10-15% IPA but i believe Blackfire alone should do the trick
The Following User Says Thank You to Atkinson91 For This Useful Post:
OvEr_KiLL (24-06-2018)
Old 25-06-2018, 12:07 AM   #7
OvEr_KiLL

i cant find the flexipads orange anywhere and ive just read that the hydro-tech polish applicators say

Cyan Advanced Cutting Foam - The blue foam is designed for compounding and swirl removal. Even with its excellent cutting power, it leaves a nearly wax-ready finish in one step. This closed cell pre-polymer foam restores oxidized and heavily swirled paint. The blue cutting foam is a good match with Menzerna Power Finish PO 203 and Meguiars Ultra-Cut Compound.

i will probably get the cyan from PB
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...ads-cat24.html

edit. just seen the scholl concepts polishing puck on PB so ive sent them an email which one they recommend i will update when they have

Last edited by OvEr_KiLL; 25-06-2018 at 01:26 AM.
Old 25-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
OvEr_KiLL

email back from Angela at PB

'' Once you have used the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound there is no need to use anything else before Blackfire Paint Cleaner (GEP). Just go straight on to applying the Paint Cleaner.

Your BMW has hard paint and is going to be difficult to correct by hand. If you already have Meguiar's Ultimate Compound I would recommend using the Lake Country Hydro-Tech Hand Cutting Pad (cyan) to give you the most cut, but this isn't going to make a massive improvement -

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...ads-cat24.html

Alternatively, if you do not already have the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound I would recommend getting Scholl S20 Black with a Scholl Polishing Puck instead as this will work a lot better the the Ultimate Compound on your hard paint and should make a real improvement -

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...lack-cat8.html
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...uck-cat24.html

Best regards,

Angela ''