Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:26 PM   #11
Ben_W
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,394 Times in 868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enc View Post
must shift a bit

how is described on the log book ...a vw beetle ?
Yeah, it goes like a stabbed rat, and then some. My mate had a 206 GTi 180 and it left him for dead......!
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #12
Ben_W

Forgot to mention, it had the cylinders bored and honed as there was some pitting. Now runs 0.030" oversize pistons. Also has a semi hot cam in it, an Isky 260. Guess it's the equivalent of a piper fast road cam. The carbs were built to spec by an American Corvair racer, the exhaust is an original Otto performance set up from the 70's, blasted and ceramic coated.

All in the mods should have added extra power to the figures I quoted. It needs a proper rolling road set up.
Cookies (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 10:33 PM   #13
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,712 Times in 2,864 Posts
Garage
I want one
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 10:36 PM   #14
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 4,873 Times in 3,577 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
I want one
Isn't it class. I'd love a run in that!!

Cooks

Sent from my D6603
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #15
Ben_W

Chongo, where you at? I could perhaps do a run out your way and take you for a spin!

Cook's, the Rallye is coming your way!
Cookies (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 11:16 PM   #16
TonyHill

Bloodyhell....that's ace!!!
TonyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyHill For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (11-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #17
markmuddimer
Unwashed Member

Awesome...love it!
markmuddimer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to markmuddimer For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (28-05-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #18
ncd

Oh wow that is just so cool and then some.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
ncd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ncd For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (28-05-2017)
Old 28-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #19
Ben_W

It's been 2 years since this saw the road. Variety of reasons, some of which you'll understand and know of if you've been keeping up with my Rallye thread. Life is much improved these days. Still not without challenge and not so good days but no meds and generally better feel about life and the future.

Which brings me nicely to my buggy. Other than my daughter, I think this will be the one thing in life I'll always be proud of, and no matter what, it will always be there. Two years she's waited patiently until I've been ready to enjoy it again. It's been a while, but I'm ready.

So, on lighter note…...I spent two very enjoyable hours twirling spanners Friday night, whilst the wife was out and the daughter was playing out with her friends where I could see her, putting the suspension, subframe and wheels back onto the Rallye and lifting it off the axle stands and getting it back onto 4 wheels. I even figured out how to reconnect the steering rack which turned out to be so simple I felt rather stupid for not figuring it out before. Far easier to steer a Rallye with the steering wheel than trying to steer the wheels by hand as you are pushing it.

Sunday morning the sun was shining…..tidied the garden ready for friends round for a BBQ late afternoon and then wheeled the Rallye up the drive. Gave it a quick wash and parked it on the lawn. Wife wasn't best pleased. Oh well. Quick brew and then rolled the buggy out of the garage. Battery had been flat before but 24 hours on charge should have sorted that. Rolled the buggy back into the sun and reconnected the battery.

Today was all about recommissioning and benchmarking the state of it for MOT. With the battery connected, two turns of the ignition switch and the oil/battery light came on. Fuel pump whirred into life. Signs were good. A number of pumps of the throttle linkage to fill the float bowls and then a further turn of the key. Within less than a second, she sparked into life, chugging a couple of times until she grumbled away at idle as she always did. Brilliant.

Let it run for a bit and warm up. She's never entirely happy from cold as the choke linkages have been taken off (not really needed on a buggy) and without the vac tube connected from the dizzy, (long story involving me stripping carbs to clean them, then forgetting to reconnect the vac tube and burning it on the exhaust so it's now too short…) timing gets a bit off as you increase the revs as the vac advance isn't doing its thing...no biggy though.

Turned it off and then moved onto checking all the lights and stuff. Connection on a spotlight needed cleaning was all the lights required. Needed some help to check the brake lights so asked the wife to jump in and press the brake pedal. 10s and nothing. 'Press the pedal’ i said. 'I am’ said the wife. 'Are you sure, I've got no brake lights’ I queried. 'Yes’ was the reply, followed by 'im pressing the pedal on the left’......... 'That being the clutch’ I replied, drily…….’oh, I thought it was different in the buggy’ came the response…….Lord, give me strength.

Once the correct pedal was pressed, the brake lights worked. Oh good. Indicators didn't want to play at first, was the plug to the stalk unit needed seating properly.

Only things that I know need doing are the horn wiring (had a new steering wheel last year), rear number plate light (a broken wire, 5 mins with the soldering iron will fix that) and the vac advance tube. Two or three hours at most.

Then I got busy cleaning. Had a wash not long ago so didn't wash again. Got the flex out, with a black pad and the S40. Polished and buffed off, then got a coat of Nebula.

A very quick road test to check the brake (end of the close and back) and all was good (bar the stuttering due to the vac tube). I'm off this week so hopefully MOTd, taxed and driving in the road by Saturday.

Last edited by Ben_W; 30-05-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Bristle Hound (29-05-2017)
Old 29-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #20
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 4,873 Times in 3,577 Posts
Garage
Great to see that buggy again bud. Absolutely incredible looking machine, and a real credit to you chum. When's the MOT?

Cooks

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (29-05-2017), Starbuck88 (26-06-2018)