Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #21
Rock Lobster
Sponge Jockey

Thanks Marco, an independent inspection sounds like the way to go. I have never bothered with these in the past and relief on my own judgement and research but this would be an expensive mistake. Especially when you read the other thread on here about rear quarter panel repair costs too.

They should hold these manufacturers to account for these obvious design flaws, they are evidently not purely age related so they shouldn't be able to wriggle out of them because the car is ageing.
Rock Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #22
MGJ92
Sponge Jockey

Nice car, subscribed to follow progress!
MGJ92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MGJ92 For This Useful Post:
Pauly.22 (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #23
Pauly.22
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Lobster View Post
I love these cars and it looks like you have a very nice example there. I am thinking of investing in one early next year and keeping it long term as a bit of a toy and project but I keep hearing horror stories about rust and the rear subframe. I realise that these are never going to be a cheap car to own and run but are they really worth the risk? I would be interested to know your thoughts as an owner and enthusiast.

Keep up the good work
The sub frames do tend to crack but there loads more information and people repairing them now, ETA motorsport prices ar about £750 to fix, so not a deal breaker if the cats prices accordingly, vanos is similar thereís plenty of people who canít refurbish them.
Head gaskets do go. This will be a fair bit of money to do but in theory it should last 100000 miles if looked after so itís an expense you should only have once.

There great cars, look good for their age and with 340bhp, itís fast enough to have fun but will do 35-40mpg on a run and I average 25-28 around town with isnít bad.

My advise is to get one before prices go mad.
Pauly.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #24
Rock Lobster
Sponge Jockey

Thanks for the reply, this my thinking is to pick one up now before they get out of reach. I've seen it happen with a few on my wish list now so I'm determined not to happen again.

The mechanical side of things doesntvworry me too much to be honest but bodywork scares me! And seems to cost a small fortune to sort, but in fairness £750 Is pretty reasonable.

Good luck with the car, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and thanks again for the advice.
Rock Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #25
Adamjj1
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, this my thinking is to pick one up now before they get out of reach. I've seen it happen with a few on my wish list now so I'm determined not to happen again.

The mechanical side of things doesntvworry me too much to be honest but bodywork scares me! And seems to cost a small fortune to sort, but in fairness £750 Is pretty reasonable.

Good luck with the car, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and thanks again for the advice.
I had the same worries when i bought mine nearly 2 years ago now, had a look around myself and was happy with it (i am not clued up at all.. just have a good look around M3cutters first!) then took it to a local indy who has done all work on it and he checks it every time.. As has been said considering the running costs and quality of the car the price for repairing the subframe is not massive.. I am personally more concerned about the odd bits of rust coming through now which i want to get sorted asap but will probably cost more than the subframe repair!

Car is amazing though and i personally have an SMG (not starting a war) which likes to warm up in the mornings but not had any mechanical issues with it! Remember when you're reading horror stories that people rarely go online to tell the world their car is running great!
Adamjj1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #26
srhutch
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly.22 View Post
The sub frames do tend to crack but there loads more information and people repairing them now, ETA motorsport prices ar about £750 to fix, so not a deal breaker if the cats prices accordingly, vanos is similar thereís plenty of people who canít refurbish them.
Head gaskets do go. This will be a fair bit of money to do but in theory it should last 100000 miles if looked after so itís an expense you should only have once.

There great cars, look good for their age and with 340bhp, itís fast enough to have fun but will do 35-40mpg on a run and I average 25-28 around town with isnít bad.

My advise is to get one before prices go mad.
35-40mpg on a run?

I have a Z4 ///M roadster and even on a run with cruise set recently I only got 30mpg over a couple of hundred motorway miles.

Do love a silverstone E46 M3 though
srhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #27
Pauly.22
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:

I'd try and get one soon, everything on these does cost money, but you just have to put up with it and deal with issues as they arise.
There brilliant cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamjj1 View Post
I had the same worries when i bought mine nearly 2 years ago now, had a look around myself and was happy with it (i am not clued up at all.. just have a good look around M3cutters first!) then took it to a local indy who has done all work on it and he checks it every time.. As has been said considering the running costs and quality of the car the price for repairing the subframe is not massive.. I am personally more concerned about the odd bits of rust coming through now which i want to get sorted asap but will probably cost more than the subframe repair!

Car is amazing though and i personally have an SMG (not starting a war) which likes to warm up in the mornings but not had any mechanical issues with it! Remember when you're reading horror stories that people rarely go online to tell the world their car is running great!
Never tried SMG, although i think there quite reliable. And pumps etc aren't too expensive to sort these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhutch View Post
35-40mpg on a run?

I have a Z4 ///M roadster and even on a run with cruise set recently I only got 30mpg over a couple of hundred motorway miles.

Do love a silverstone E46 M3 though

Well I got 40.1 on the readout, don't know how accurate that is. which I re set once on the motorway and did 56 mph most of the way as I was going to work and I'm not about to rush,

You should get more if you wasn't using cruise though out your m.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #28
Pauly.22
Washmitt Meister

Garage
This is what it looked like last night, battery gone flat and pretty cold, I went to scrap snow off the carport as it’s got a temporary roof and I don’t want it all caving in on the car.

For today once been and got an Xmas tree I set to work on the car,

Needed some warmth so a fire log that burns for 2-3 hours sorted that.

Got them off, managed to damage the track rod in the process

Got them apart and fixed the shield as it was cracking on the mounts and the top mount was doing nothing.

Then just painted everything black.

With the silver calipers and bits it should look quite good.

Passenger side wishbone lower bush thing wobbles far too easy, was hoping to just re paint them, but have now ordered 2 track rods and front wishbones, still need to sort out power steering pipe and I’ve got a purple tag rack in the garage. Don’t know weather to fit it.

Also need to drill out the the little screws for the discs and re tap them, the bolts have been butchered and I couldn’t undo them.
Old 26-12-2017, 09:20 PM   #29
Pauly.22
Washmitt Meister

Garage

Will sand and treat rust then stone chip and add some silverstone blue top coat to the inner wings, pant the crossmember, hopefully start putting it back together soon.

Clear coated the new shocks

Cleaned up these roller top mount things

Painted wishbones

And these don't know what there're called

Got a replacement xenon sensor

Rebuilt the snapped bracket with meccano, the connection rod for this has a seized ball joint, probably why it ended up snapping, it current soaking in wd40, I don't think it will work, bought this off eBay for £3 so miles cheaper than buying a new bracket.

Will put a rivet through and give it a lick of paint

Wonder how much more of my car will end up in the wheelbarrow

The Following User Says Thank You to Pauly.22 For This Useful Post:
slim_boy_fat (27-12-2017)
Old 27-12-2017, 07:45 PM   #30
Pauly.22
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Before

With stone chip, after sanding the rust and treating it

With top coat, will clear coat it tomorrow.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pauly.22 For This Useful Post:
AaronGTi (28-12-2017), Bill58 (28-12-2017), scuba-phil (08-01-2018), Sicskate (28-12-2017), slim_boy_fat (27-12-2017)