Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 21-06-2018, 12:02 AM   #1
westerman
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

How would you Use BH Cleanser Fluid..Advice.

Sorry for the elementary question but never used this before.
Just ordered the BH cleanser Fluid.

When doing a minor paint correction ( light swirls) I plan a decon and clay followed by a light DA polish using Megs ultra compound and Megs 205 finishing polish. LSP will be AG Ultra HD wax.

So should I use the Cleanser fluid TWICE,( i.e.) After clay to remove as much old wax etc BEFORE polishing and again, to remove any old polish residue and prep surface for wax. Or will using it just once after all processes have been completed and just prior to waxing suffice?

Harry
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 12:11 AM   #2
Atkinson91
Washmitt Meister

A strong prewash should help degrade stuff like that!

You can do however, If it's just wax that was on there beforehand, it should of been removed with the Decon stage, especially if your using a tar remover such as tardis or citrus tar and glue remover.

Using it prior to LSP will be sufficient

Last edited by Atkinson91; 21-06-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Atkinson91 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atkinson91 For This Useful Post:
westerman (21-06-2018)
Old 21-06-2018, 12:53 AM   #3
Brian1612

Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,927 Posts
Use it to wipe each panel down after both the machine polishing steps. It's essentially a panel wipe for removing all polishing oils prior to applying your chosen LSP.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #4
westerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1612 View Post
Use it to wipe each panel down after both the machine polishing steps. It's essentially a panel wipe for removing all polishing oils prior to applying your chosen LSP.

Thanks Brian, yes I understand it's function 'removing all polishing oils' I have always used an IPA wipedown prior to LSP.

I just wondered, with this being a step up from IPA whether it might be a good idea to use it prior to polishing as well as after, my thoughts being that it would clean the panel of old product thereby reducing any chance of old wax being picked up on the cutting pad and marring the paint?

Or am I over doing it by using this method.
Thanks for you reply,

Harry
Old 21-06-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
GSVHammer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by westerman View Post
Thanks Brian, yes I understand it's function 'removing all polishing oils' I have always used an IPA wipedown prior to LSP.

I just wondered, with this being a step up from IPA whether it might be a good idea to use it prior to polishing as well as after, my thoughts being that it would clean the panel of old product thereby reducing any chance of old wax being picked up on the cutting pad and marring the paint?

Or am I over doing it by using this method.
Thanks for you reply,

Harry
I normally just wash the car again after the clay. I wouldn't use cleanser fluid here if you are going to polish in my opinion it would be a waste of product. I'd use it at this stage (to make sure the surface was clean for LSP bonding) if I was just going to wax the car after the clay and wash.

I think if there is any wax left, the compound/polish would break it down as you are about to remove clear coat from the car via DA. I would think the removed debris (clear coat) would be harder than the wax and have more chance of marring the paint.

I'd keep the cleanser fluid for wipedown after the polishing sets to inspect the final surface before applying your wax.
GSVHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
westerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSVHammer View Post
I normally just wash the car again after the clay. I wouldn't use cleanser fluid here if you are going to polish in my opinion it would be a waste of product. I'd use it at this stage (to make sure the surface was clean for LSP bonding) if I was just going to wax the car after the clay and wash.

I think if there is any wax left, the compound/polish would break it down as you are about to remove clear coat from the car via DA. I would think the removed debris (clear coat) would be harder than the wax and have more chance of marring the paint.

I'd keep the cleanser fluid for wipedown after the polishing sets to inspect the final surface before applying your wax.
Thanks for that, looks like it's used as I would IPA then and no advantage in using it to remove old wax etc., prior to polishing. So I'll just use it as you suggest.

BH just say 'Use after claying' which is not very clear as if one is doing any correction work, "after claying" would be before polishing.

Harry
Old 21-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
As other have said, it's best used after each compounding stage to remove any traces of previous compound/clearcoat/wax before moving on to the next refining stage. You'd also want to use as the last thing you do to the panels before applying LSP, be that wax or a sealant. It's particularly useful when applying a sealant as you want the paint as clean and naked as possible for best bonding. Wax is a little more forgiving.
olliewills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #8
westerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliewills View Post
As other have said, it's best used after each compounding stage to remove any traces of previous compound/clearcoat/wax before moving on to the next refining stage. You'd also want to use as the last thing you do to the panels before applying LSP, be that wax or a sealant. It's particularly useful when applying a sealant as you want the paint as clean and naked as possible for best bonding. Wax is a little more forgiving.
Thanks Ollie, yes I do understand the cleaning properties of cleaner fluid and importance of having a clean panel before LSP but as I said I usually use IPA for this..
Having plumped for this higher end stuff I was really wondering about the virtues of using it to remove old LSP prior to polishing.

Seems general opinion is it's not necessary.

Thanks for input.

Harry
Old 21-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #9
lowejackson
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,933 Times in 2,495 Posts
There is no problem in using a paint cleaner before polishing, it is entirely up to you. The advantage is the old waxes etc will not start to clog up the pad, this is not a huge issue but will have a small impact. You also get a chance to see naked paint and so all the minor swirls or marks which were partially hidden by the waxes will now be exposed. The downside is cleaning the paint will take longer.

Westerman, I know you like ONR so when you get a chance it might be worth looking at the rest of the Optimum range. For example, with their polish, no need for IPA after polishing, just wipe with a ONR dampened cloth or if that seems like hard work then use their spray wax to remove the polish oils and protect the paint in one step.
lowejackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lowejackson For This Useful Post:
cheekymonkey (22-06-2018), westerman (21-06-2018)
Old 21-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #10
Brian1612

Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,927 Posts
As mentioned above west the full decon stage should really strip most, if not all remants of old LSP you had on there prior to polishing.

Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian1612 For This Useful Post:
westerman (21-06-2018)