Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 16-03-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
danb1202
Unwashed Member

Using orbital polisher

Hi All,

Brand new to the forum and very much a novice so apologies if im asking stupid questions! Im looking into getting an orbital polisher, and after looking around on here and other places the DAS-6 v2 Dual Action Polisher seemed to be the best for the money, especially for a beginner.

my question would be application of products. So ive got the meguiars 3 step and it went on beautifully by hand. Would i just use the polisher like i would a microfiber cloth, in that i have 1 pad to take on, 1 to take off, for each stage?

and also pressure. Just let it run under its own weight, put a fair bit of pressure on myself, or somewhere in between?

Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated!
danb1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
MBRuss
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

With regards to pads, no - you don't just have one for putting it on and another for taking it off, you have specific pads for specific duties. Generally you have a "cutting" pad that you'd use with a compound to take out the worst defects, then a polishing/finishing pad which will be softer, that you use with a polish to remove any finer defects or refine the finish from the compounding stage. If you have a third step then i suppose you'd need a pad for that as well, depending on what that third step is. I presume the third step is just a wax or sealant of some sort, so you could use another finishing pad for that. You'll probably want at least a couple of each type of pad though, especially if you're planning on doing a whole car in a day or weekend.

Pressure-wise, just use the weight of the machine. Draw a thick black line on the edge of your backing plate so you can keep an eye on rotation of the pad. If the pad isn't spinning then it isn't correcting. If you push too hard then the pad may stall, but really there's no need to push down - the abrasives just need movement to do their job.
MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #3
danb1202
Unwashed Member

Thats brilliant thanks for the advice! Its a pre polish (basically a cleaning compound), polish and wax. Are there any pads you would recommend? I assume like everything, you'll have cheap nasty ones as well as decent ones
danb1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
MBRuss
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Go for something like Chemical Guys Hexlogic pads or something from Lake Country. Clean Your Car have a good selection of pads in various sizes and grades. The pads can affect the cut and finish of the polishes, so get some courser ones for the cut and finer ones for the polish. You could even get a third set of pads specifically for waxing, though a soft polishing pad is usually fine for that.
MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote