Detailing World Forum banner

S8 or Pixel 2?

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Hereisphilly 
#1 ·
I'm looking at getting a new phone soon.

I liked the original Pixel, but got an S6 instead. Previous phones have all been Samsung Galaxy (S2, S4 and now S6).

I love Samsung phones, and the S8 looks awesome. The Pixel 2 is close, and I think the camera is slightly better.

Having the Pixel would mean I'd be having it for something different. Having the S8 would be because I think it's the best looking phone out there (and I like the Samsung brand).

So, out of the two, which would you have?

PS - Apple is totally out of the question so don't even mention it.

#2 ·
Depending when you are thinking of changing, might be worth waiting for the S9? Pretty sure it is due to be released this year, so could be worth a little wait. I do like the look of the Pixel 2 XL though...

I know what you mean about Apple - completely against them, but they are starting to appeal more to me because of the security aspect.

#3 ·
I'm on the s7 at the moment been on samsung since s3 as not an apple fan. Heard recently (Not checked it out) that with the pixel you can move apps to sd card and get rid of manufacturer apps etc. This if true could sway me next change time. Daughter has s5 and I get so annoyed that you can have so much memory free on the sd card but phone memory is full because of the built in apps/system memory and apps that can't be moved to sd card or more annoying the apps that you move to sd card but move back when there is an update!!!

#4 · (Edited)
S8? The S9 is coming out end of february/beginning of march, if you can afford the Pixel 2s pricetag.

I'll go for the S9, because I absolutly want wireless charging. Otherwise I'd go Pixel 2 for a clean android. Camera is/should be excellent on both, which is my next requirement.

#6 ·
Hands down pixel 2 all the way, camera, UI and software is leagues ahead of the S8

Only thing that might let you down is the screen size / shape on the pixel 2 as it's not got the super tall shape like the S8

If you can stretch to a Pixel 2 XL that would solve all your problems [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I'd not say the camera is that bad on an S8 or even an S9, they're quite on par with a Pixel 2, that's not a reason I'd go for one of the two.

The advantage of the pixel is only one: clean android. Which means it's without all the frills of other companies, and that makes it a) fast as an UI and b) easy to keep on the latest android level.

#8 ·
Had this debate, and I went S8, no regrets.

They were very close but what tipped me over was headphone jack.
I don't want BT headphones and quite often, I want to charge while listening to headphones and didn't want splitter/adapter considerations.

Occasionally use qi charging too.

Camera on S8 is fantastic, I can't see anything phone based being anything more than marginally better in minor aspects.

#12 ·
Historically Samsung announce in march for release in April, so going by what they normally do, there is a quarter to wait

All depends how OP wants to wait I guess

What I will say is that Samsung is still woefully slow in software updates, the S8 still hasn't got an Oreo build and it's now 5 months since release. When the build is out it will still be a pretty bloaty mess

You simply don't get that with a pixel, and all of Google's AI / machine learning tech which is really gathering pace now and something Samsung simply can't hold a candle to

#17 ·
Ah right evleaks, yeah he's generally pretty accurate with alot of stuff

If the MWC unveil turns out to be true then it's impressive Samsung can ramp up production earlier in the year. They may just run the date out and have a longer pre order period

Guess more will be revealed end of Feb then but my money is on a bit of a wait

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.