Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 02-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
L1ARR
Unwashed Member

Recomendations

Guys,

I am treating myself to a DAS Pro Polisher and am after advice around the best products to purchase with the machine.

I have a Audi in Suzuka Grey, to date I have been using the Jeffs Acrylic range with successful results . Over the past few years of ownership the car has picked up a small amount of swirls and light surface scratches which I am keen to remove . The paint isn't in bad condition with minimal contamination, I regularly use snow foam, TFR and Iron X to keep the car as good as I can but I want to take things even further.

Having read various articles around paint etc it seems Audi paint is hard, what suggestions or recommendations do people have in terms of the following to compliment my purchase.

Clay bars
Polishing Pads
Polishes for cutting etc (liking what I read about the 3m product range but have never used them)

I will continue to use the Acrylic range until it runs out and then will be getting Swissvax BOS.

Cheers
L1ARR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
lowejackson
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,959 Times in 2,514 Posts
Any of the big names will do a great job eg Meguiars, Menzerna etc. I prefer the simplicity of the Meguiars products (105/205) plus two bottles will cost you roughly £10 each. Hexlogic pads are very popular although most pads will also work very well. You will need a compounding, polishing and finishing pad to give you maximum choices. If the paint is hard then a MF cutting pad could be a good investment.

You paint may well be very hard but you cannot guarantee it so always do a test section with the mildest products first.

As for 3M. I love their pads on the rotary but would suggest the pads are a tad too soft for a DA. With the exception of the finishing polish I am not a fan of their polishes. The official line from 3M is they are designed for rotary use only but in any case I think there are much easier products to work with
lowejackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lowejackson For This Useful Post:
L1ARR (03-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
alan hanson
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,081 Times in 899 Posts
Sonax perfect finish polish is one of my favourites
alan hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alan hanson For This Useful Post:
L1ARR (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #4
L1ARR
Unwashed Member

Thanks guys, wasn't aware that the 3m polishes etc were made for a rotary. Appreciate your input
L1ARR is offline   Reply With Quote