Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > Garage/Product Collections
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Garage/Product Collections Post your Garage or Product Collection pics here....

Old 15-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #1
Pauly.22
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Garage replacement, and house and garden tidy up

Hi,

Although I've been registered on here I've rarely posted much, as I've not done much car related stuff for a while, the cars I own have been laid up and I sold my nice car and have been driving around in old bangers which I barely wash, things are going to change though, I want to get into cleaning my cars properly, and refreshing them, underbody etc, I've been reading up on detailing products and things on here loads in the past few days.

I'm going to get a e46 M3, I only had my last one 4 months and feel I didn't enjoy it long enough, I had to sell as I was an apprentice and it was silly to buy a car that isn't that cheap to run and maintain.

Onto my garage, I've been in the house now about 18 months, a garage or room for a garage was my only requirement when looking for a house, so I ended up with this pile.

Annoyingly it's on an angle across the garden which wrecks the space on either side. It's got an asbestos roof, and is generally in poor condition, not anywhere I'd want to put a car for long periods of time.

It's also set back a fair bit compared to my neighbours, they did this to make getting car in and out a bit easier, I won't be using it regularly so I can afford to move my garage over to one side to make the most of the space to the side.

In May 2016 my father passed away, he was the one person I would mess about with cars with and do projects and things. With this happening the cars I have at his house need somewhere to live at mine fairly soon as the house will be going up for sale, I also now have my dads Z4, he loved that car and I can't bring myself to sell.

With all that in mind, in January this year i started sorting out the fencing and gates in my garden ready for a new garage.

I'm in no way a fencer or have much of an idea on what or how to build stuff like this, so I just went to wickes and made it up as I went along.

This is what I started with, I didn't like the garage door being directly onto the lane.

Some new posts and some battens across,

Not perfect but I'm trying to keep costs down a bit.

Needed to span the near 6 meter gap, so unused unistrut from my old job was used.

Then got some feather boards on

Then had a go a building some gates, tried my best, not perfect but work ok,

And put the feather edge on

Will finish off the door bottoms when I have the floor level done.

Added a support that hinges up to keep the unistrut from sagging

With the weight of the gates they do drop, so I used some all thread and with the unistrut I just need to undo the bolt a bit and drop the zeb out the unistrut to open the gates.

Only takes a minute and I won't be opening the too often anyway.

That basically where I'm up to for now.

I've been quoted £750 to dismantle and remove the asbestos roof, but I'm going to do it myself.

I'll take the roof off and the council will take it for free, and the actual concrete sections of the garage I'm going to use to build up the ground level and use as shuttering on the one side.

I then plan to level the ground off with the current base of the garage and then slab it all with the slabs I've already got and ones I can get cheap on eBay.

I'll be putting the new garage on the right of the garden along the fence line, no further past when my current garage ends as it's probably not strictly ok that I moved my fence out to meet the neighbours, although I don't think anyone would mind, what I've made looks better and should hopefully be more secure than what was there before.

Garage wise I plan something along the lines of this, just basically a bit shed, hopefully 6m by 3m, about 4 meters for my car then 2 meters inside for storage etc. Hopefully I'll be able to get some decent shelving or a bit of a loft space too inside.

I'll line it and insulate it, I've got an armoured cable, fuse box and lights to fit, then around the side of the garage I'll waterproof it and make a carport, that way I'll have a decent dry area to work on my cars.

I'm no expert or professional and I've probably done things wrong, and I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, but I'm having good fun having a go.

That's all for now, not sure when any other updates will be hopefully get the roof off the garage in the next couple of weeks,

Paul.

Last edited by Pauly.22; 12-08-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Pauly.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pauly.22 For This Useful Post:
chongo (15-03-2017), Cookies (15-03-2017), dholdi (15-03-2017), DouglasH (15-03-2017), Jue (15-03-2017), Steve220 (15-03-2017)
Old 15-03-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
dholdi
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly.22 View Post
I'm no expert or professional and I've probably done things wrong, and I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, but I'm having good fun having a go.
Every credit for that, sometimes the best way to learn is just doing it.
Looks good and as long as your happy that's all that matters
dholdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dholdi For This Useful Post:
Pauly.22 (15-03-2017)
Old 15-03-2017, 06:23 PM   #3
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 4,981 Times in 3,647 Posts
Garage
Well done Paul. Looks like a very respectable job you've done there buddy. You should be very proud of yourself.

Keep the updates coming. We love projects on here lol.

Cooks

Sent from my D6603
Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
chongo (15-03-2017), Pauly.22 (15-03-2017)
Old 15-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
Pauly.22
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Thanks.

I've pretty much done a deal to buy my old e46 m3 back off the guy I sold it too, only thing is it's more expensive than what I sold it for, but that's how the market has gone in the last few years,

The car holds sentimental value too, as my dad has been in it and driven it which I like.

So I really need to crack on with this garage now, asbestos coming off next week as I've a few days off work.
Old 15-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #5
DouglasH
Sponge Jockey

Good on you Paul, look forward to watching your project progress.

Doug.
DouglasH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DouglasH For This Useful Post:
Pauly.22 (16-03-2017)
Old 15-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #6
rob267
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Well done buddy. Loving this thread already. You should be proud for doing it yourself. Look forward to seeing updates.😉😉😉

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
rob267 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rob267 For This Useful Post:
Pauly.22 (16-03-2017)
Old 16-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #7
WO-WO
DW Trader

Garage
Looking good - I wish I had the time and ability to do these kind of projects myself.

www.wo-wo.co.uk

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCOsizcBnKh9RlkfrQUZJZLA
WO-WO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WO-WO For This Useful Post:
Pauly.22 (16-03-2017)
Old 16-03-2017, 11:10 PM   #8
cossack
Washmitt Meister

Dont whatever you do touch that roof! Your potentially putting yourself, everyone around you house and the council works who come to lift it at risk, asbestos is a very dangerous product and should only be handled by pros!
cossack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cossack For This Useful Post:
Pauly.22 (17-03-2017), scottk (17-03-2017)
Old 17-03-2017, 12:50 AM   #9
scottk
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cossack View Post
Dont whatever you do touch that roof! Your potentially putting yourself, everyone around you house and the council works who come to lift it at risk, asbestos is a very dangerous product and should only be handled by pros!
It's asbestos cement and not dangerous if done sensibly. Follow guidelines, wet it, bag it and don't saw, cut or sand it. There is no restrictions on who can remove it, unless rules have changed.
Don't stand on it though! Depending on the size, the panels are heavy.
scottk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottk For This Useful Post:
Pauly.22 (17-03-2017)
Old 17-03-2017, 07:03 AM   #10
Pauly.22
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cossack View Post
Cheers, I'm done a few asbestos courses now with work, and I've spoken with the council who said they will take it away,

I've bought ffp3 mask and goggles, paper overalls and will keep the sections whole and in damaged, I'll also keep it soaking wet, so the fibres can't get airborne.

Should be fine. I'll just take my time and wrap it up as I go along.

Thanks though