Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing'
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing' Sponsored by Ultimate Finish. Suppliers of high quality detailing products including Swissvax, Gtechniq, Specialised Covers, Dodo Juice, R222, Bilt-Hamber, Meguiars, 3M, Aqua Gleam and more. Loyalty Scheme for returning customers. www.TheUltimateFinish.co.uk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2018, 01:44 AM   #1
Chris.91
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Lancs
Posts: 33
Thanks: 29
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Clay or chemical decontamination

Hi all,

I have owned a 10 year old Milano Civic since October. It's full of swirls and stone chips. It's only been mini-valeted by a local detailer once in my ownership and rinsed a few times (but I'm hoping to change that!).

I want to get the stone chips to the bonnet and wings repaired in the near future and then have it machine polished by a pro. It looks like there's a few up north too! However, in the short term I want to do as much as I can to protect the car from turning pink. So I'm getting my hands on some wax to protect it from UV.

Before waxing and as the car hasn't been washed properly for a while, I want to get as much dirt off without contact washing (yeah, it's already swirled, but I want to practice the routine and not cause any more damage!) so I'm going to snow foam it. But I've also seen people using traffic film remover, tar remover or fall out remover (are these safe on diamond cut wheels?) along the bottom of the car, arches, etc, either before or after snow foaming. As the car will have quite a bit of contamination on it, which ones should I use, if any?

I suppose I could snow foam, wash, clay bar and then wax. But I've seen that claying can cause micro scratches, so I'm thinking to decontaminate with chemicals instead, but again the micro scratches from claying would be corrected further down when it goes to a pro, so I'm not sure. Also I'm thinking not to hand polish it as I don't want to take off anymore clear coat (even though I assume it'll be a tiny amount), is that being silly - should I buy some polish as well?

Did a bit of research and ended up buying this lot to get me started:

Nisfilk C110.7 Pressure Washer
CleanYourCar Snow Foam Lance
Bilt Hamber Auto Foam
Meguiar's APC
ValetPRO Bilberry Wheel Cleaner
Poorboys Wheel Sealant
Sonax Xtreme Tyre Gel
2x Meguiars Grit Guard and Bucket
3x Premium Lambskin Wash Mitt
Bilt Hamber Auto Shampoo
Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Bar (Soft)
Bouncers Done and Dusted Quick Detailer
Optimum Car Wax
CleanYourCar Huge 'Fluffy' Drying Towel
Nilco Glass Cleaner
Hog Hair Detailing Brushes, Microfibre towels, etc

Any advice welcome.
Chris.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:56 AM   #2
pug206
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 88
Thanks: 30
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
You also need a polish, glaze or paint cleanser before waxing.
pug206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:02 AM   #3
Chris.91
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Lancs
Posts: 33
Thanks: 29
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug206 View Post
You also need a polish, glaze or paint cleanser before waxing.
Cheers. And of those glaze lasts the least amount of time, correct? Would Lime Prime Lite be a good shout before the wax?
Chris.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:24 AM   #4
pug206
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 88
Thanks: 30
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.91 View Post
Cheers. And of those glaze lasts the least amount of time, correct? Would Lime Prime Lite be a good shout before the wax?
A glaze just fills in imperfections so wouldn't last long without a wax or sealent on top
Never used lime prime so not sure tbh
pug206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
petebak
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 99
Thanks: 11
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Remember to calculate the correct dilution for your bilt hamber foam, there is a guide in the detailing guide section.
petebak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
Rían P
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Rían P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 914
Thanks: 791
Thanked 399 Times in 337 Posts
Garage
I would reccomend using some type of paint cleanser or polish. It'll definitely lift the paint if it's swirl city. Also, it helps provide a good base for your wax.

'Serious Performance' make a great paint cleanser that'll really clean the paint and lift out any dirt that has bounded to the paint.

Alternatively, Valet Pro's Purple Passion is very good also. Would highly reccomend it.

Never used lime prime lite, though I believe it's along the same lines.

Hope this helps,
Rían P
Rían P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #7
Brian1612
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,366
Thanks: 1,757
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,988 Posts
Fallout remover and tar/glue remover will rid the paint of some particles of contaminate which aren't heavily engrained into the paint but they won't remove the deeper set stuff. Without claying you won't get rid of them all and your paint will still feel rough after this chemical decon. Claying can cause micro scratches and marring so I'd suggest getting a decent cleansing and filling polish to apply via hand afterwards.

Something like Bilt Hamber Cleanser Polish or Britemax Virtue. Both these contain protection of their own but I would still be topping them with a wax/sealant to help them last longer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
Chris.91
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Lancs
Posts: 33
Thanks: 29
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug206 View Post
A glaze just fills in imperfections so wouldn't last long without a wax or sealent on top
Never used lime prime so not sure tbh
Yep, seems like Poor Boys Black Hole has great reviews for filling swirls etc. Think I may as well get that to hide the swirls until I get it machined...

Quote:
Originally Posted by petebak View Post
Remember to calculate the correct dilution for your bilt hamber foam, there is a guide in the detailing guide section.
Yep will do. Heard it’s a bit fiddly the BH foam, but I know it’s not meant to be thick or stay on the longest, but apparently has the most effect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rían P View Post
I would reccomend using some type of paint cleanser or polish. It'll definitely lift the paint if it's swirl city. Also, it helps provide a good base for your wax.

'Serious Performance' make a great paint cleanser that'll really clean the paint and lift out any dirt that has bounded to the paint.

Alternatively, Valet Pro's Purple Passion is very good also. Would highly reccomend it.

Never used lime prime lite, though I believe it's along the same lines.

Hope this helps,
Rían P
Cheers Rian, will look into these. Something to fill the swirls temporarily and clean at the same time would be nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1612 View Post
Fallout remover and tar/glue remover will rid the paint of some particles of contaminate which aren't heavily engrained into the paint but they won't remove the deeper set stuff. Without claying you won't get rid of them all and your paint will still feel rough after this chemical decon. Claying can cause micro scratches and marring so I'd suggest getting a decent cleansing and filling polish to apply via hand afterwards.

Something like Bilt Hamber Cleanser Polish or Britemax Virtue. Both these contain protection of their own but I would still be topping them with a wax/sealant to help them last longer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cheers. Will look into those.

Just wondering, my Optimum Car Wax claims up to 5 months durability, but have read people saying around 6-8 weeks is more realistic (car is outside and used daily). Which doesn’t seem like an issue as it’s easy to apply. If that was accurate do you think I’d need to apply the pre-wax cleanser or glaze before waxing again? Or just wash and top up the wax?
Chris.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #9
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed
 
steelghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Stockport
Posts: 5,471
Thanks: 1,993
Thanked 2,756 Times in 2,064 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.91 View Post
Yep, seems like Poor Boys Black Hole has great reviews for filling swirls etc. Think I may as well get that to hide the swirls until I get it machined...

Yep will do. Heard it’s a bit fiddly the BH foam, but I know it’s not meant to be thick or stay on the longest, but apparently has the most effect!

Just wondering, my Optimum Car Wax claims up to 5 months durability, but have read people saying around 6-8 weeks is more realistic (car is outside and used daily). Which doesn’t seem like an issue as it’s easy to apply. If that was accurate do you think I’d need to apply the pre-wax cleanser or glaze before waxing again? Or just wash and top up the wax?
BH Cleanser Polish is what you want for this. Cleans and fills in one step. Just top up the OCW when you need to.

BH AUto Foam really isn't fiddly - if you're using in a pump sprayer, just make up a 4% solution, spray it on the car, leave it for 3-4 minutes, rinse it off, ideally at pressure.

If you're using it in a lance, just fill your lance with plain water, then discharge it into a bucket until the bottle is empty, with the feed dial (the +/- on top usually) set to max. Then note the total volume of water in the bucket. Work out 4% of that - that's how much AF you need to add to the bottle before you top it up to the same level as you used for your "test run".
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
Chris.91
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Lancs
Posts: 33
Thanks: 29
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelghost View Post
BH Cleanser Polish is what you want for this. Cleans and fills in one step. Just top up the OCW when you need to.

BH AUto Foam really isn't fiddly - if you're using in a pump sprayer, just make up a 4% solution, spray it on the car, leave it for 3-4 minutes, rinse it off, ideally at pressure.

If you're using it in a lance, just fill your lance with plain water, then discharge it into a bucket until the bottle is empty, with the feed dial (the +/- on top usually) set to max. Then note the total volume of water in the bucket. Work out 4% of that - that's how much AF you need to add to the bottle before you top it up to the same level as you used for your "test run".
Cheers pal, sounds like good stuff. I'm going to need sponsoring by BH at this rate...

I've heard it's better to use a pump sprayer to apply the BH foam but I want to try out my new toys first so I'll be using the lance . In the guide it says to turn the dial down to the '-' (full foam output) so would that be 'max'?
Chris.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors