Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 01-01-2018, 12:07 AM   #1
Karl_shad86
Unwashed Member

Newbie detailing an Alfa

Got a Das-6 for Christmas and looking to take the leap into detailing. I'm going to get a scrap panel to practice before attacking my car but wondered if anyone could advise on good pads and polish for a black Alfa 159 (not sure how hard the paint is) for someone new to detailing. I've got some GTechniq P1 which I've used by hand which has had good results, I'm sure it will be more effective with a machine. The paint work isn't on bad condition but had a few swirls.

Any suggestions greatly received. Once I've tacked my Alfa I'll move onto the other halves Clio as that paintwork isn't great.
Karl_shad86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #2
dave-
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

country lake CCS pads. You might be able to get away with a white pad and meguires 205 polish and nothing else if its just light swirls.

That is a mild combo and you don't need to waste time with a scrap panel, you literally cant go wrong with that combo.

The worse thing that will happen is it wont cut as much as you want.

In that case use stronger pad and polish but the idea is to try with mild stuff first
dave- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
Karl_shad86
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave- View Post
country lake CCS pads. You might be able to get away with a white pad and meguires 205 polish and nothing else if its just light swirls.

That is a mild combo and you don't need to waste time with a scrap panel, you literally cant go wrong with that combo.

The worse thing that will happen is it wont cut as much as you want.

In that case use stronger pad and polish but the idea is to try with mild stuff first
Thanks Dave, if it doesn't cut it would I still be looking at CCS pads but a different colour?
Old 01-01-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
Moet1974
Orbital Oracle

I would strongly advise you take up the original plan of a scrap panel first. Even try to source a similar Alfa bonnet. As Dave may suggest you can’t go wrong with mild pad and polish combinations but that matters little if you haven’t at least practiced first. Alfa paint can vary wildly and in the worse case can often be a bit sticky. Sonax Ex04-06 and yellow Rupes pad would be my starting point. Now that might seem a bit on the aggressive side but IMO less pressure really makes the abrasives work like a finishing polish bud.
Moet1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
Karl_shad86
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moet1974 View Post
I would strongly advise you take up the original plan of a scrap panel first. Even try to source a similar Alfa bonnet. As Dave may suggest you can’t go wrong with mild pad and polish combinations but that matters little if you haven’t at least practiced first. Alfa paint can vary wildly and in the worse case can often be a bit sticky. Sonax Ex04-06 and yellow Rupes pad would be my starting point. Now that might seem a bit on the aggressive side but IMO less pressure really makes the abrasives work like a finishing polish bud.
Thanks Moet. I think my choice in Alfa scrap parts will be pretty thin on the ground in Cornwall, but I'll see what I can find.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #6
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,700 Times in 2,856 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_shad86 View Post
Thanks Moet. I think my choice in Alfa scrap parts will be pretty thin on the ground in Cornwall, but I'll see what I can find.
Don't worry if you can't get a Alfa panel, any panel will do but try and get one that is near the colour of your car the more practice you do will only benefit you when you come to do your own car
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:21 PM   #7
Karl_shad86
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Don't worry if you can't get a Alfa panel, any panel will do but try and get one that is near the colour of your car the more practice you do will only benefit you when you come to do your own car
Thanks Chongo. Still reading up on some much in the work of DA polishers. Have ordered some Meguiars 205, just looking at best deals for pads. I am reading a lot on the Chemical Guys hex logic pads. Looks like their white would also be fine for applying the Meguiars. Then a red for my wax (Collinite 915) which I've been using for about 4 years by hand, it gives a truly amazing finish!
Old 03-01-2018, 12:25 AM   #8
Benfr16
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Yeah lots of this stuff if preference! You can spend all the time in the world reading about the best pads and obviously there's a few that you'll see again and again, including the CHemical guys, rupes, lake country and 3m to name just a few! Eventually it comes down to having to purchase and see what works best.

If your completely new, I'd say just generally read on forums about using a da for first time and there's a series of videos called junkman2000. Quite long but he explains all really.

Make sure you look at clay bars/ decontamination as well as it will give you the best results and for most it is considered an essential step of detailing.

Prepare your wallet as the more you read, learn and practice the more it costs ! Hopefully we will see a post of your results in the coming months good luck!
Benfr16 is offline   Reply With Quote