Detailing World Forum banner

Leak from recent refitted bathroom..... should we pay?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Itchy finger 
#1 ·
We had our bathroom completely redone in feb last year and at the time there was a leak coming though the ceiling below the bathroom, it turned out to be one of the seals on the toilet.

Fast forward to today and the current tenant has reported staining on the ceiling again so I can only presume its from the same place as last time.

Question is as the bathroom has been fitted for just under a year would I be expected to pay for any repairs or should the plumber fix them for nowt?

Not sure of the way it works here?

Cheers

Steve

#2 ·
With bathroom fitters its normal to offer a 12 month warranty period,if they do their job properly it's low chance of any need to revisit. All depends where the leak is and whether its from new installation (you say completely redone ), or from having refitted/disturbed old joints during the work. If its all new install then certainly they should be rectifying FOC.

Just had our family bathroom upgraded and fully tiled - the guy removed the toilet during the tiling, but on refitting it, the old gaskets between cistern and bowl were leaking - sod's law an unusual gasket, not available for a week, so a new toilet was the quickest solution for us. Hardly his fault, the old gasket may have lasted another month, or a year , but ultimately it was wear n tear in my case.

I

#7 ·
If it's worse when the shower is in use then I'd suggest it's to do with the shower rather than the toilet. Leaks can be a nightmare to trace its like a car as they run to the lowest point before dripping. I had a leak coming through my living room ceiling and transpires it was from a connection which was 20 ft away from where it was coming through the ceiling.

Best bet is as you've done and get your plumber out to see where it's coming from then you can argue the point of who should be paying to fix it :thumb:

#8 ·
Could you go there when he is looking for the leak and see for yourself. It could be a small leak which started from day one or a seal has just gone which can happen. He could tell you anything if you dont see for yourself.
Could be movement in the shower tray/ bath and the seal has broken (silicone bead)
Missing grout could let water through.
Feedpipe to toilet cistern is a common leak - metal nut - fibre washer - plastic thread = not a good match for a heavy handed person.
soil pipe to the pan seal can leak - loads of variations and some new toilets just dont measure up size wise.

I once fitted a new pan which had a hair line crack in the U which couldnt be seen. Must of opened when someone sat on the toilet.

Could be coming from anywhere but do you know if it is fresh water or waste water?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.