Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 10-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
E60525d
Orbital Oracle

Applying ceramic coating

Are there any ceramic coatings that can be applied outdoors?
E60525d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
Supa Koopa
Sponge Jockey

All of them.

The problem is making sure they don't get wet including condensation for 12-24 hours.

I applied Gtechniq CSL and Exo outdoors last year under a gazebo. I then managed to put it in a friends underground parking garage overnight to be sure. It's a good job I did as at about 3am it decided to rain without any warning. With the weather we've had for the last few weeks I think it would've been easy to do, but it's always a risk.

The other problem is getting the paintwork perfect before applying the coating, this is difficult without the proper lighting. My car was new and I went over everything with a DA before coating it but there are still 1 or 2 very slight marks that I didn't spot because I was outside. Unfortunately they are now under a ceramic coating so will be remaining there for some time. Luckily my car is white and you can't see them unless you know where they are (which I've forgotten), have the right light and **** your head at the exact angle needed. So I'm not going to lose any sleep over that. Now if I had a darker coloured car I think my experience of doing the coating would have been much more difficult.

JMHO
Supa Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Supa Koopa For This Useful Post:
E60525d (10-07-2018), stangalang (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 06:55 AM   #3
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,404 Times in 4,881 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
All of them.

The problem is making sure they don't get wet including condensation for 12-24 hours.

I applied Gtechniq CSL and Exo outdoors last year under a gazebo. I then managed to put it in a friends underground parking garage overnight to be sure. It's a good job I did as at about 3am it decided to rain without any warning. With the weather we've had for the last few weeks I think it would've been easy to do, but it's always a risk.

The other problem is getting the paintwork perfect before applying the coating, this is difficult without the proper lighting. My car was new and I went over everything with a DA before coating it but there are still 1 or 2 very slight marks that I didn't spot because I was outside. Unfortunately they are now under a ceramic coating so will be remaining there for some time. Luckily my car is white and you can't see them unless you know where they are (which I've forgotten), have the right light and **** your head at the exact angle needed. So I'm not going to lose any sleep over that. Now if I had a darker coloured car I think my experience of doing the coating would have been much more difficult.

JMHO
This is exactly what I continuously try to get people to realise, its not a "manufacturer" thing, its a mechanics thing. The pitfalls of working outside are all amplified when using such products, dirt, dust, moisture, lighting etc
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
E60525d
Orbital Oracle

Ok thanks. Looks like a difficult task then without any shelter.
E60525d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
A&J
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,163 Times in 847 Posts
Depending on which coating you want to apply some manufacturers sell top coats or spray sealants that help the coating cure. They can be applied after 1h or so and sit on top of the coating protecting it.

Some examples are Gyeon Cure, Carpro reload, OPT opti seal, Gtechniq c2v3...also any carnauba wax or some spray waxex should also do the trick but stick to the previously mentioned.
A&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #6
bigmac3161
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I’ve applied C1 to 4 cars and kamikaze ism to 1 all outside never had an issue with any of them. Now’s the time to do it heatwave and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigmac3161 is offline   Reply With Quote