Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #141
slim_boy_fat
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,234 Times in 1,045 Posts
That's a bit odd. My e39 had one and so does the e60. Vents any gasses given off during in-car charging, into the rear o/s wheel arch.

I'm doing a job installing a rear dash cam atm, so will try to grab a clear pic of mine later while I have 'easy' access.

The connection holes on the battery are fitted with a removable plug at wither end, for universal fitting orientation I suppose.
slim_boy_fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #142
Pauly.22
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck88 View Post

oh wow I've never seen steam coming out the breather before!
https://youtu.be/lJSbqhh17S4

There should defiantly be a breather. Mine had come out from the steam so my boot was quite wet. Could hear the battery boiling on the inside.

Last edited by Pauly.22; 07-07-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Pauly.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:08 PM   #143
slim_boy_fat

Thanked 1,234 Times in 1,045 Posts
Just found out I can't post pic without uploading to a hosting site. I used to use P/Bucket but haven't used an alternative since.

Why can't we upload direct from our PCs, I can on other forums....?
slim_boy_fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:42 PM   #144
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,194 Times in 3,773 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_boy_fat View Post
Just found out I can't post pic without uploading to a hosting site. I used to use P/Bucket but haven't used an alternative since.

Why can't we upload direct from our PCs, I can on other forums....?
You can if thou use tapatalk on your phone or iPad! It'd be great if you could on PC too.

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
SBM (10-07-2018), slim_boy_fat (08-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #145
beambeam
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck88 View Post
The battery is secured with a clamp on an extended bar with a 10mm head on the end and a brace that goes across the top.

That totally reminds me! I need a replacement bar and clamp and some bolts to fix the clamp in place, been running for ages without!

Nice update, good to see it back on the road!
beambeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #146
wrxmania

Garage
Great work so far
wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrxmania For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (13-07-2018)
Old 13-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #147
Starbuck88

Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,679 Posts
Garage
The weather was a bit cooler yesterday evening so I thought I'd have a crack at an easy but satisfying job.

The Air Ducts that feed air from the cabin filters into the cabin, where they connect to the bulkhead, the foam has degraded and the previous owner tried to fix it by using black sealant. Didn't do squat and looked a mess.

I bought some closed cell foam tape which I knew would need layering,

As I twisted the passenger side off, I noticed that one of the lugs was broken off, typical on these of people not knowing they twist to get them off. This could actually be the reason engine bay smell is getting in. Anyway, thought I'd do the foam repair and I'll look out for replacements (if used they'll need the foams doing). So I've only done one side.

This is what I pulled off the bulkhead once the duct was removed:

That's tape off the foam, some foam and the messy sealant.

I picked off all soft, squashed, ripped and teared foam off the airduct, I cleaned the old glue off with Chemical Guys Tar and Glue remover and then carefully applied 3 layers of the new closed cell foam.

Voila:

I took the opportunity to clean and Gummi Pflege the rubber sealing ring, should be noted the sealing of the foam to this ring is the inner circumference part of the foam, not the outer.

After:

Final Before:

Finished:

Another thing I noticed, I'm not sure if these are Fibre Reinforced Plastic, when looking inside you can see shiny fibres, I'm concerned the age and heat cycles is causing them to break up and fibres coming off that we're breathing in the cabin.

Video, you can see it sparkling..

I'm going to look out for some replacement ducts and I'm going to get some Bilt Hamber Underbody to coat the inside of them, that way it'll keep them from breaking up.

Looking at the material it says on it that it's PP-MX and PP/EPDM which means it's not actually FRP (I Think) but the shiny little fibres mostly follow the grain so to speak.

Coolant Issue

The car also threw up coolant low warning the other day, funny how the car has now got some peculiar things happened since leaving it sat, I do hope it's nothing more sinister but on inspection the top hose that connects to the thermostat has a crack in the plastic connection.

To the left of the bleed screw on the side of the plastic, you can see pink.

With my inspection camera, you can see a nice crack has developed.

This car is a daily driver, so I have ordered a Genuine BMW Top Hose for £47, it's is easy to change (no need to take off the shroud, viscous fan etc) but I do have all the other hoses, waterpump etc bookmarked to buy, for when I do the proper coolant system refresh. I'll most likely do that when I do the CCV. Also ordered a brass bleed screw as these plastic ones melt.
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (13-07-2018), slim_boy_fat (13-07-2018), Tuddie (20-10-2018)
Old 13-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #148
Cookies

Garage
Great update buddy. Your skills with foam tape are very impressive indeed. That's a very, very tidy job!!!!!

N

The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (13-07-2018)
Old 18-08-2018, 11:04 PM   #149
Starbuck88

Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,679 Posts
Garage
We had family from my side and my other halves side come down one after the another so I've not had chance to do anything.

Until today

I needed to replace that top coolant hose, so this is what I did.

As I was only replacing that one hose at this point and as it had a new radiator on it before I bought the car, I didn't want to drain the entire coolant system.

Taking off the expansion tank cap and the bleed screw in the pipe, the system filled itself with air which pushed enough coolant into the expansion tank so that there was only a miniscule amount of coolant left in the pipe to come out.

I pulled the metal clips and took off the lower side first and let the small bit of coolant drip slowly out into a pan on the floor, then unclipped the other side, it simply then pulls off.

This is the damage to the old pipe:

You can see on the inside not only is the crack longer than the outside, the interior of that plastic was cracking all over the place. It's no wonder the plastic ends on these hoses are prone to exploding and would have been a right mess, hence me not driving the car until I sorted this pipe!

I bought a genuine coolant hose from BMW. £47. I also bought a brass bleed screw as the plastic ones melt and warp and also leak, which is what I think was slowly happening with mine.

Brass next to standard:

I push fitted the new hose on, pressed in the metal clips, job done!

Now, I was so happy I hadn't made a mess with the coolant!

These have an auxiliary electric coolant pump, it's there to circulate coolant when you use the heating function to keep the car warm when you pop into the shops in the winter. Really nice as I know other brands (as I've had a few) just push air over non moving coolant so it goes cold after like a minute! (MAX/REST function)

Now I didn't think this would be very powerful, so I left the bleed screw out of the new hose and thought it would gently burp the system.... how wrong was I!!

Correct procedure is set the climate to max temp on slowest fan speed to make sure the coolant circulates in the matrix properly, so I did.

I turned the ignition on (but not the engine) The coolant spurted out of the bleed screw hole with so much force, it hit the underside of the bonnet in a continuous fountain! It went everywhere hahaha.

So I put the brass bleed screw in all the way and turned the ignition on again.. I think it's amazing as it burps itself, there are lots of people who seem to not be able to bleed these properly but by letting the aux pump circulate the coolant the little pockets of air get burped out into the expansion tank (tank cap off) then when there's a nice flow of constant coolant entering the expansion tank, undo the bleed screws one at a time to just let out the tiny pockets of air beneath them...job done. So many people on forums and Facebook groups, overheating these with air locks etc.

Before:

After:

That power steering pipe is bugging me, I need to clean it.

I'm hoping the weather is amicable tomorrow morning so I can start some paint correction and protection!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Starbuck88; 18-08-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (19-08-2018), neilb62 (18-08-2018), slim_boy_fat (19-08-2018), Tuddie (20-10-2018), wrxmania (19-08-2018)
Old 19-08-2018, 12:20 AM   #150
Cookies

Garage
Never knew about the auxiliary pump for the heater matrix. That's Vorsprung Durch Technik for you.

Cooks

The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (19-08-2018)