Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 22-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #151
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Thanked 1,996 Times in 1,426 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother-Goose View Post
You nutter, cleaning in the snow! Does look nice though.

Those car shades look great - would you have done the same if you "privacy glass" in the rear? It's so dark on my GLC that my father in law didn't realise his wife was in the back when he opened the door...
It was significantly cold I will admit and I don't normally feel the cold. Two hoodies, two pairs of socks, jeans and a warm hat saw me through it through.

I'm limited in my time as to when I get to wash the cars so what opportunities I can.

I did the other half's CLS whilst I was at it as well.

Also, little tweak to one of the E Class pics. Love the filter on an app I've got.

As for the privacy shades, if it had tinted windows I wouldn't have worried about getting them. Assuming the rear tints were dark enough for the kids in the back as that's the main reason for having them. Saves faffing with those naff suction ones.
Alex_225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #152
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Garage
So the E gets it's first bit of proper TLC for the year. Nothing too heavy going just a quick once over with Super Resin and a couple of coats of Britemax Extreme Elements.

Not bad for a 15 year old motor though with 124k on the clock!

Next on the list other than the cleaning is getting those headlights back to some sort of clarity.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #153
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Garage
True to my word, I did (finally) sort the headlights on the E.

Despite sorting these when I first got the car, they had started to tarnish again.

Considering the condition of the rest of the car the lights were letting it down. So quick wipe over with Meguiars Cleaning Solution.

Can't say I noticed it removing any oxidation but seems to leave a decent surface to then apply the Meguiars Headlight Coating. So a bit of masking up and a fine coating applied.

Not a bad result really.

Not 100% perfect but a lot better and side by side you can see the difference it makes.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #154
Rojer
Unwashed Member

Hi Alex,

You can get replacement lens covers pretty cheap on eBay so might be worth just replacing them.

This is just an example so you get the idea.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/17313...327&rmvSB=true
Rojer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rojer For This Useful Post:
Alex_225 (19-08-2018)
Old 19-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #155
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Garage
I had seen those on there and couldn't quite work out if they were a replacement for the entire cover or an actual cover. Might have another look at those, thank you.

Had the car in for a cheeky re-map yesterday. Found a very local firm called Expert Tuning who will carry out a re-map on various cars. Chap who runs the business was very knowledgeable and helpful prior to me even booking. The maps are actually developed by a company called Quantum, the original map was downloaded, sent to them, modified and sent back.

So prior to the new map the 3.2 straight six diesel makes 204bhp/370lbs ft so a pretty respectable set of figures, it certainly never felt slow. Assuming it was making original power figures, it should now be running 240bhp but with 420lbs ft of torque. The difference is marked though, throttle is more responsive and it pulls, I mean 2nd/3rd really push you back into your seat. Torque figure is nearer my CLS63 now!

Also will be interested to see what the MPG figures show. The last 2,700 miles it has averaged 44mpg, I will reset this and see what the next couple of thousand miles show.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #156
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Garage
Another update on the E Class. Managed to give it a thorough bit of driving since the re-map, mostly motorway running on M25 and M4.

For the size of the car, I think the 44mpg it was making is pretty respectable. Ok, so less around town (24/25mpg) but that's not why I bought a diesel!

So, this is the magic of the re-map. Not only is it significantly quicker, it runs just as well and there's been an increase in miles per gallon.

So an increase of 3mpg, doesn't seem huge but anything is better than nothing. Very pleased overall with that. Obviously it's not the same length of time it's worked the average across but similar average speed and nearly 10 hours of driving.

Today I decided to give the engine bay a spruce up after cleaning the rest of the car yesterday.

Just a combination of Autoglym Rubber & Vinyl Care plus Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #157
BrummyPete
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

That's a clean bay you have there mate, it's good your getting more mpg after the map, I am in 2 minds whether to get mine done, before when I've had remaps it's because I want the extra oomph but now I've 240bhp I'm wondering if it's well justified

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
BrummyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrummyPete For This Useful Post:
Alex_225 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #158
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Garage
I mean i can't complain that my E Class was ever a slow car, despite only being 204bhp as standard the auto box plus the torque meant it never felt lacking. I owned the car over 2 years before opting for the re-map though so I had a good feel for how the car drove etc. I wouldn't say this is a transformation as more of it feeling optimised.

Power is far more linear and throttle is more responsive, also the torque increase is really noticeable. Especially on the motorway. You can go to overtake a car and find you're carrying the speed but the gearbox hasn't had to change down so less throttle input.

I'd imagine your Jag would respond well to a re-map and I'm guessing see 260/270bhp. Not sure on the torque figures on your 3.0 engine but again that'd be a big increase I suspect. My other half has a Merc CLS350 CDI which is the newer 3.0 V6 diesel with 220bhp, apparently they remap to 260bhp but about 440lbs of torque. That's a far more responsive feeling engine anyway so doesn't need a re-map but I bet one could be good!
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex_225 For This Useful Post:
BrummyPete (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 05:28 AM   #159
BrummyPete
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Ive only had the car a few days but it certainly doesn't feel lacking in power, a remap takes it from 240 bhp and 500nm of torque to around 300 and 610nm. There is the point that it will be more smooth but can't decide may keep it standard for a bit and see how it goes

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
BrummyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:33 AM   #160
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Garage
If the car is new to you then wait until you’ve got used to the power. Then opt for a remap. I’ve obviously had my E for a while so after a couple of years it’s nice to have a car that feels even better to drive.

I’d like an S350 CDI next which is a more powerful V6 diesel. Would be tempted to remap that but would probably give it a year if I could hold out haha
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex_225 For This Useful Post:
BrummyPete (03-09-2018)