Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 17-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #11
James_G
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenekeorr View Post
Subscribed in an instant!! Canít wait for more updates.

Looks like you got a good buy at that price for a late and tidy example with sensible mileage. Itíll clean up well I reckon

Eagerly awaiting the interior pictures! Iíve always been a fan of the Checkmate spec, both inside and out.

That boot lid rust looks familiar itís probably more ugly underneath the boot release trim. If your boot release still works - it would be worth getting the trim off and trying to make sure the components arenít getting wet/mucky. If/when the release fails, the emergency release cable is under the rear seat squab

Also, worth mentioning in case youíre not aware - a quick check of the low speed radiator fan for functionality and a keen eye on the coolant level would be beneficial for your head gasket as there looks to be a few coolant marks on your expansion tank and exhaust heat shield - tanks can split and caps lose their ability to hold pressure. All relatively cheap preventative maintenance!

Agreed, they catch every stone.

My 144,000 mile Mini is on its original screen (I believe) and on a sunny morning itís like looking through a colander
Thanks for the tips. I did a visual check of coolant level but havenít checked the fan yet so will make that a priority.

Regarding the rear seat squab, I assume that just lifts up with a bit of force?
James_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G View Post
Thanks for the tips. I did a visual check of coolant level but havenít checked the fan yet so will make that a priority.

Regarding the rear seat squab, I assume that just lifts up with a bit of force?
Yep, just stick your hand under the middle of the rear seat squab and youíll feel a ring attached to a cable. You donít have to actually remove anything.

If your A/C works, you should be able to get the low speed fan to spin up by switching the A/C on for a minute. Otherwise thereís a guide online on testing it.
jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
James_G (18-02-2018)
Old 17-02-2018, 09:49 PM   #13
ibiza55
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,356 Posts
Garage
I like it a lot for a 12 year old car, just a shame about the wee rust spots on the boot/tailgate.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ibiza55 For This Useful Post:
James_G (18-02-2018)
Old 17-02-2018, 09:57 PM   #14
Del-GTi
PC Perfectionist

Very nice. Good project. Look forward to the updates.
Del-GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Del-GTi For This Useful Post:
James_G (18-02-2018)
Old 17-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #15
Fentum
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,518 Times in 879 Posts
I'm looking forward to reading this thread.

This car looks like a bargain.

And, yes, you'll really appreciate the LSD if you drive it as you're supposed to.

Peter
Fentum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fentum For This Useful Post:
James_G (18-02-2018)
Old 18-02-2018, 02:49 AM   #16
lincolndanny
PC Perfectionist

I do like your threads :-) Looking forward to more.
lincolndanny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 12:17 PM   #17
James_G
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolndanny View Post
I do like your threads :-) Looking forward to more.
Very good of you to say so Danny, thanks.
Old 18-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #18
James_G
PC Perfectionist

Garage
One of the things I find fascinating about this hobby of ours is what people will tolerate in the name of saving a few £. For example, on my first drive in it after purchase it rained, a lot. And for the next 45 minutes with the wipers on I was subjected to constant squeaking. The same for the rear wiper. It must have been doing that for months.

The car also came without any mats and when I asked where they were it was explained that in the four years of ownership they'd never had any. Could be a lie of course, as they'd replaced this Mini with 3 year old one and might have swapped the mats over (although they won't fit very well).

Finally, they had replaced a tyre early in the their ownership with that budget one I showed. And then later on replaced the other 3 tyres with Pirellis. I get that the budget one would be barely worn but by the time you're buying 3 good brand tyres why not just buy four and keep the budget as a spare/sell on eBay? Still, if everyone kept on top of these things we wouldn't have anything to fix, right?

With all that in mind then, here's the interior:

Speedo, showing the chrome line trim.

No mats...

General grubbiness

And like all good project cars, it costs very slightly less than I paid....

The worst area for dirt seems to be the back seats. They had a dog and I think what has happened it that they have had a towel down in the back to "protect" the seats, it's got wet and not been removed, hence all these water marks. Hopefully they will come out. I have plenty of fabric cleaning products and a steam cleaner but not a wet vac for doing a full extract. Very happy for some tips on dealing with this.

As a result of the dog going in the back, the boot is in pretty good shape:

I am now also the owner of a Vauxhall first aid kit.

And this Mini badged mobility bag containing the wheel brace and a can of tyre weld. Can any Mk1 Mini owners confirm if this is original?

I was very pleased to find I still have the original battery:

And this original toolkit

Needs a good clean out down the gap though

So other than the state of the rear seats, all as expected really. Certainly there doesn't appear to be anything broken, which is always good but I think there should be an ashtray in one of the cupholders. Anybody know?

Last edited by James_G; 28-07-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old 18-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #19
Del-GTi
PC Perfectionist

Keep your eye on the battery. At that age it probably won't last much longer and you don't want it letting you down. I've just replaced the battery on my new project - it was the original too at almost 11 years old.

Interior is as you say, grubby. But will clean up well. Something I used when I started doing the interior of mine was a couple of packs of those disinfectant wipes you can by from the likes of Wilkos. 50p a pack and great for cleaning and sanitising the interior before you use any protectant. it's amazing the amount of dirt they lift and you just bin them as you go.
Del-GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 01:49 PM   #20
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Interior looks pretty good overall! Do like the pattern on the seats

The carpets donít look too worn, so perhaps as you say - they pinched the mats out of it!

The toolkit setup you have seems different to what Iím used to.

My 54 plate facelift car had nothing with it, however my mumís 04 plate Cooper S has a MINI branded small black pouch with red piping which holds the tow eye, locking nut etc, this is velcroíd in place behind the removable side trims. Then it has a black bag (possibly your tyre repair bag) which houses the jack. It has two elasticated hooks on it, and sits on the Boot floor.

Maybe the later cars such as yours have that tool kit tray, and the jack is supposed to be in the black bag? Then someone has just added a can of tyre seal.

Regarding the ash tray - I donít know if they were standard fitment, but both mine and my mumís came with the removable ash tray cup holder. However theyíre not very durable, the lid has come loose on mine, so it lives in the garage. I also donít like having one cup holder and one ash tray - lack of symmetry

So possibly yours has just been broken or lost.

Eagerly awaiting the Ďafterí pictures when you clean it up!!!
jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
CDZ150 (11-08-2018)