Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 18-06-2018, 05:30 AM   #11
beambeam
Sponge Jockey

Haha, will do @andyblue as I've been pouring over a few of the project threads on DW lately (I work 7 nightshifts on the bounce, lot of time to kill!) but for now here's how the front garden looks!

Moved in 2.5 years ago and a lot of work has been done to the house so the garden made way for building materials and other forms of abuse. The dog will be devastated to lose the front garden as she quite enjoys nosing or barking at folk who pass by!

EDIT: Had time to kill so started such a thread: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...56#post5474756

Last edited by beambeam; 18-06-2018 at 06:18 AM.
beambeam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beambeam For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (18-06-2018), Starbuck88 (18-06-2018)
Old 18-06-2018, 07:17 AM   #12
Andyblue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,195 Posts
Just seen it

Looks good
Andyblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #13
Starbuck88

Thanked 2,261 Times in 1,553 Posts
Garage
Great thread so far beam beam!

Nice car and testament to your care. I've had a few cars where circumstances out of my control have caused problems seriously dampening my love for them but unless it's something major that's constantly hanging over your head, the love can be rekindled.

Have to say your thread seems to read somewhat like my ownership of a few cars also, we may have been dealt with the same good luck/bad luck ratio at birth when it comes to cars.

Hope BMW sort your rust, would be nice.
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 04:57 AM   #14
beambeam
Sponge Jockey

@Starbuck88, it's been a real battle at times and I still feel that due to the engine issues I have had I haven't enjoyed the car at its best yet. I have a handful of b-road blasts to look back on fondly from when I purchased it and that's it! I didn't mind in the past when I bought cheap cars that ran cheap and were cheap to fix but this is a different league! I'm not the most mechanically minded so any time I do successful diagnose (google symptoms lol) and correct an issue I get quite chuffed about it! RE: The rust, I haven't heard back from them in a month so I think a follow-up call is required.

An up to date progress post, Saturday 9th June:

Last weekend I was up north with my brother visiting the folks. Having been up and down the country several times over the last month the car was a minging mess of bugs and god knows what else. Whilst home I seized the opportunity to take care of it with the use of their drive and an early Father's day present to our Dad - the same Nilfisk PW that I had bought recently! (I'm not daft, means I only need to bring the snowfoam lance with me in future!).

Wheels were attacked first with a combination of iron removals. I did one side with Autoglym Magma and the other with Triple QX Fallout remover. I can't remember which side was which but my opinion was Magma looks glorious and Triple QX does the same job albeit slower with less of an obvious visual effect. I tidied up the rest of the wheels with a sponge and some old alloy wheel cleaner I had lying around. They are in terrible condition.

I managed to pick up a 2.5L container of the Triple QX for cheap so that will suit me for now as I learn to be efficient with product usage over time.

On to a snowfoam session with Autoglym's Polar Blast, my eBay lance (demon_motorsport I think). I used the prescribed mix and let it dwell for 8-10 minutes. I've used this product a couple of times now and have been impressed with the effect but this being the only product of this nature I've used yet means I can't efficiently comment on the cleaning capabilities. As I said earlier though, over a thousand recent miles of hot weather and bugs on Scottish roads meant the car was rank and this seemed to shift the bulk of crap off once I PW'd it off. Interesting to note that I was able to pick up Polar Blast from Edinburgh over a month ago but I was unable to find it for sale in the Elgin branch.

I rinsed it off further with a hose and rinsed the sloped drive too as I have found that Polar Blast lings around for time afterwards and can fling back up to the car when you move it.

Pressed plates removed also as the sticky tabs behind them had lost their tack and it didn't sit right by my eyes. Cleaned with solvents and reattached later during the cleaning session.

After this I went over the bottom half of the car all round with an old bottle of Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover. I diluted it a little into a bottle with a better spray pattern and laid this stuff on thick due to it's age and wanting to use it up. I immediately followed this up with by shampooing the car with another old bottle of product from when I last lived at home (2009 for a summer!) - this was Meguiars Gold Class shampoo. This helped to thoroughly remove the last of the bugs before I fired into the next step.

Roped my brother to assist with this step as I'm carrying an injury and find it difficult to crouch for long spells - I noticed this sort of residue left as I went around the car and wanted to ask if this is normal? Not enough lubricant used? I was using Auto Finesse Glide. By the time I got to the roof last the clay was starting to break up and smear but by then I had used 2/3 of the bottle. I'd appreciate any advice or pointing towards useful threads here on DW.

This was after the first hit on the driver's door. Clearly needed doing! I then washed the car again. With the Meguiars Gold Class used up I used a recent purchase and went over it with Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss. I didn't find this product to be that sudsy even after I blasted the bucket with the pressure washer though.

Time for polishing. I recently was given an unopened 1L bottle of Autoglym SRP from a friend after extending a similar kindness to him. Unfortunately I still have a nice amount of Chemical Guys All-In-One Polish that is about 12 or so years old so I wanted to use that up first. Is this wise? Will the properties of the product have changed drastically over this time? It doesn't seem to have changed by way of feel when applying/removing it.

After polishing:

Quite pleased with how it turned out. I have always been satisfied by the outcome of the CG product. Back in my cruising days and beyond I have had various cars including taking an utter bucket of an E36 3 series and respraying it with an M-Sport kit which is about when I bought slightly better products than T-cut and Turtle Wax from the local garage! This explains some of the older products I have lying around.

Unfortunately I was unable to top this up with a wax coat. The Poorboys Natty's Paste Wax had dried out due to me leaving a foam applicator inside it for well over a year. There was little left anyway. Since I couldn't find Polar Blast snowfoam in Halfords, Elgin I popped along to an Autosave branch and found some wax product by AM Details, a local detailer with a healthy amount of youtube/instagram content that I have enjoyed in recent months as I get a taste for properly cleaning cars again. I felt it best to support a local detailer and chose this over the other products available although if I had found some I would likely have bought Autoglym's new UHD wax after seeing some great reviews.

Can't wait to try it out in the near future... After all this I applied Rain-X to all the glass and took some close up photos of the rust spots now that the car was clean, I dressed the tyres with Autoglym Tyre Dressing later.

We will see what BMW say when I chase them up re: anti-corrosion warranty but I have a sense they will try and wriggle out of it claiming stone chip damage and so on.

Last edited by beambeam; 19-06-2018 at 05:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to beambeam For This Useful Post:
Cookies (19-06-2018)
Old 19-06-2018, 06:11 AM   #15
beambeam
Sponge Jockey

Continued update, saturday 9th June:

So with the evening kicking in and feeling I couldn't give the car a proper waxing with an unknown and new product, I decide to give the interior some serious attention. The car has been smelling a bit stale thanks to the big lump of a dog and two years of very occasional hoovering of the carpets. The deepest I had cleaned was when I resolved the rear wiring and leak issue. Since everything was stripped out of the rear at the time I hoovered everything intensely and achieved this:

I was inspired by AS_BO's interior deep clean of his own wagon recently and decided to gut out the interior properly.

Here's an example of what I was working with underneath! Yuck.

Considerable time spent abusing my old dear's hoover and a plethora of old and new cleaning products were used on the carpets. This included Oust!, Fabreeze, Simoniz Upholstery and Carpet Cleaner in extravagant amounts until the car started to smell and look better internally. Unfortunately I neglected to take much photos here but I'm sure you have all seen plenty of cleaned carpets on DW!

I treated all interior glass, plastics and trims to a simple wipe down with various wipe packets I've harvested cheaply from Halfords or Tesco over the years. They did a sufficient job and I achieved a nice clean matte finish from them. I really need to get some detailing brushes and go over the vents and other nooks and crannies.

With the leather seats out, I busted out some Zymol and Meguiars leather cleaning products, again unused and unopened from over a decade ago. I haven't really taken care of the leather since I bought the car two years and 24k miles ago but the results in my eyes were tremendous and really satisfying. The Zymol product I used in combination with a colourlock brush really worked well to shift the dirt. I used it liberally and nearly finished the entire bottle during this session.

Driver seat before/after, I worked my way down from top to bottom, apologies for poor lighting:

You can see the progress being made as I work away. Absolutely delighted with this and I can see myself paying more attention to the care of the leather in future with results like this. I don't have really good photos of the seats after this step but here are the rear seats reinstalled to the car.

After deep cleaning the leather with the Zymol product I applied the Meguiars stuff with a colourblock foam applicator. This actually removed a further layer of dirt which required wiping clear but the product (I must provide a photo later as the bottle is unlike what I can find online) soaked into the leather very nicely and they feel lovely and since, very impressed. All the door card were treated to the same two stage process prescribed to the seats. Seats were all fully reinstalled but not before a touch of car maintenance.

Bless my smaller and more flexible brother for doing this for me! For some time I had experienced an issue with my heating/air conditioning system that meant during long drives the strength of the fans would weaken to the point of nearly non-existent. No variance between level of output made a difference.

Having suffered the hedgehog resistor problem with older BMW's I suspected this was a similar case, I imagine somehow the resistor was overheating during long drives and ceasing to function properly? As it is directly attached to the blower motor which I found can also fail I kept an eye out for replacement units on eBay. I wasn't willing to replace with newer, expensive units until I was sure.

Luckily enough a few months ago I managed to bag a second hand blower motor for £20 from a salvager. In the advert images I spotted the resistor was still attached to the motor itself but didn't expect it to arrive with it. Second hand prices indicate a range of £60-100+ for both of the units so I was taking a punt. You can imagine my surprise when both arrived. At the very worst, for £20 I've diagnosed the problem cheaper than an autospark or garage would have cost me.

The offending item:

That is some amount of carbon crap deposited on the outside of the motor and clearly indicates the resistor wasn't the issue so I salvaged that from this item and kept it for a spare. Since installing the eBay unit the fan is blowing much stronger yet quieter than before and hasn't weakened or cut out in the 500 miles driven since. Very pleased with that result and should the £20 replacement (taken from a 1 series with 87k miles I believe) fail later I will be sure of the cause.

Overal, I'm chuffed with the results from last week's effort. It was a shame I didn't get around to waxing it but upon giving a young lad a lift home from training last night he started asking about the car and commented that the interior looked, smelt and felt brand new. He couldn't believe it was 12 years old so that was a nice comment to validate my work so far!

I'll get around to waxing the car ASAP once the proposed drive is installed. I am hoping to tackle some engine trouble and finally wire/code in the powerfold mirrors. Cheers for reading!

Last edited by beambeam; 19-06-2018 at 06:14 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beambeam For This Useful Post:
Cookies (19-06-2018), jammytask (21-06-2018), Starbuck88 (19-06-2018)
Old 22-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #16
MadOnVaux!

Thanked 1,096 Times in 1,026 Posts
Always good to get the seats out and clean underneath them....I found an iPod under my back seat...which I sold!
MadOnVaux! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 07:24 PM   #17
snrbrtsn
Unwashed Member

Great write up...
Whilst in no way connected or affiliated with James Glen, other than buying my last three of four cars I can attest to the owners Integity, one hell of a garage....
Your cars looking great!
snrbrtsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 08:37 PM   #18
Andyblue

Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,195 Posts
Looking really good

Has come up really well to the polishing, and those seats now
Andyblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #19
enc