Detailing World Forum banner

Tool chest - thoughts on Halfords Industrial

9K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  dholdi 
#1 · (Edited)
Since having a garage I have kept my eye out and considered a tool chest to obviously store all my tools an keep the space that I've got as clutter free as possible. For the home/enthusiast user I've always thought of the Machine Mart upper ranges as being good for the job. Anyhow Halfords sent me a code for 50% off their tool chest range. Has anybody got the boxes below? I don't want any flimsy rubbish as I'd rather not have one otherwise, yet I don't need Snap-On spec either.

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets/halfords-industrial-6-drawer-ball-bearing-tool-cabinet

*After a search on here after posting I've found a good bit of info on the Halfords boxes

#2 ·
I've got that one and had it now a couple of years. I've no issues with it at all.

Keep an eye on the deals as I got 50% off and a free 6 drawer top box.

Only slightly negative is the drawer liners which are rubbish however buy a cheap rubber yoga mat and cut to size and jobs a good un :thumb:

#5 · (Edited)
Great to hear. That does sound like an especially good deal that you got for the pair macca666. Hard to say if there's a better one coming up with black friday and christmas etc. Only downside is the £40 delivery cost, not the sort of thing that you can throw in the back of a Fiesta though.

I'm not sure which box I'd go for on top, either just the middle box or the 6 drawer top box, quite like the idea of being able to put one or two things on top whereas I can't really do that with an opening lid.

How stringent are they with issuing the trade card? Had a look on their list: I used to be a welder/fabricator so I can probably blag it with my NVQ certificates, as welder/fabricator is on their list

#6 ·
I’ve had my Halfords professional 4 draw top box now since I was 19, so it’s now 19 years old, apart from looking a wee bit tatty with some knocks and scrapes it still fully operational with locking draws. If I had the space ide upgrade it by adding on the lower roller cabinet.

#7 ·
I have 2 of both the top boxes and roller cabinets plus a few Snap on ones aswell.I have the original industrial top box which must 20yrs old now and still going strong. It's not quite Snap on quality but for the money you can't fault them. I was one of the few lucky ones that managed to get a set for a steal when halfords made a mistake on the internet:lol:

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input and thoughts on these.

Headed into the Darlington store today and picked up a trade card, so great input on that as I hadn't thought that I could get one - really simple there and they were happy after seeing my City & Guilds docs. Chose to get the 6 drawer industrial base chest and the 3 drawer mid-chest costing £279. Opted for the mid box as opposed to the top box as I don't need tons of storage atm and I'd like to put the odd bit on top when doing stuff. May go for the top box at a later stage. Drawers are smooth running and feel decent. Although the professional range also seemed good on the drawer front.

Just need some socket rails for the drawers to sort stuff.

There is a small dent on the lowest drawer edge but I can't say that I really notice it, so not really an issue for me. There is an area of paint/coating that appears to have a slight amount of air beneath it, feels a little rippled, again not really and issue as long as it's not going to peel off at a later date. The box was packaged well. One improvement could be that they could supply blanking plates/bungs for the opposite side to where the handle is fitted.

#9 ·
I went for the Clarke chest & top box on a vat free offer.
I didn't think there was much between them and I don't have a trade card although it does appear like they are easy to get.
I am now collecting the Halfords modular tray sets which fit the Clarke range spot on too.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...earch&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1
I pick one up every pay day and drop hints at birthdays etc so should have full set soon :D

#10 ·
I had been keeping my eye out for a VAT free day as the Clarke HD chests look like decent stuff. I like the look of the modular trays, although I have most of the kit already, there is a deal on the Trade account where you can buy 3 and get £20 off. I did ask the gf if she wanted to contribute to the chest "it'll help keep our garage tidy..." I said. She declined my offer.

#13 ·
I need to get myself one of these trade cards.
I have most. if not more of what's in the modular trays.
I like them because it satisfies my growing OCD about having things in a place where you can put your hand on them straight away.
I will pass on stuff that I duplicate to son, sil etc as they have enough to spend their money on with kids etc so it all helps them.
Mrs holdi helps out, as I've made a space in the garage for her dryer :lol:

#22 · (Edited)
Emailed Halfords yesterday regarding the slight damage to the drawer and paint. As it was only very minor, and bearing in mind I got them at trade pricing, I suggested a discount of 5%, I had no intention of returning them anyway. Halfords got back to me really quickly and agreed to refund the above (£14) the gentlemen did say that they'd had a few similar cases of late. So now both boxes have cost only £266, and plus I'm yet to get paid another £12ish via Quidco for the purchase.

I was in machine mart the other week, when comparing to their HD+ range, I did feel that the drawers on the Halfords' chest felt sturdier with less side-to-side 'play'.

Whenever I have needed to contact Halfords in the past they have always been great at sorting things out. I had bought some ratchet spanners a while ago, after having them around 4 months still packaged and unused I ended up inheriting a full set from my late grandfather. Halfords were great and refunded them after all that time had passed without me even having a receipt, which they certainly didn't have to do.

Also got three modular sets too for the chest. Got the hammer set, the offset spanners set and the set with the various extension bars for only £52.80 on trade pricing, which was mostly paid for using Quidco cash back money.

#23 ·
Cant disagree re Halfords service.
I took my 1/4" ratchet back for exchange as it was sticking when tightening/loosening.
To get it to unstick I had to put it on a bolt that was the opposite of what I was doing.
I had the receipt with me but they didn't even ask for it, just got me a new one there and then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.