Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim Sponsored by Valet PRO - ValetPRO - UK made car valeting and detailing products. Our aim to make top quality product we love to use. Famous for 'pH Neutral Snow Foam, Advanced Neutral Snow Foam, Bilberry Wheel Cleaner, Dragons Breath, Citrus Bling and Citrus PRE Wash. A big thank you to all our customers and stockists, we promise to bring you some excellent and inventive products during 2014.

Old 18-08-2017, 11:20 PM   #11
Tim662
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Black wheels are a tricky one, very easy to scratch when cleaning. Best you can do is use a coating like Gtechniq C5 or Carpro Dlux, then wash carefully with a dooka wheel mitt.
Tim662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 11:55 PM   #12
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,842 Posts
Garage
Yep, even a coat of FK1000P, or one of the dedicated high temp wheel waxes, or the spray and wipe sealants from RaceGlaze, CarChem or TDG (and I'm sure others) will make cleaning the wheels a lot easier (and hence less likely to harm the finish).
steelghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 11:59 PM   #13
mr.t
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
i have sealed them lads , with raceglaze i think it is...Not sure how much it does.

Annoyingly he has a gloss black roof too..lol....

Next time ill try and spray billbery on....leave it longer...and pressure wash off..il see how they come out without brushing/adjitating.
mr.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 12:13 PM   #14
RedUntilDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
As steelghost says, I wouldn't use a brush to try and remove ingrained brake dust at all, if your car got covered in sand (near a beach say) you wouldn't use a sponge/mitt/whatever to try and rub the sand off would you ? Same applies to the wheels.

If the wheel cleaner can't remove stuck on brake dust you need to clay or use an aggressive cleaner - at worst fallout remover.

As suggested, if you can protect the wheels it reduces how much crap will stick.
If you crack out the clay this will induce fine scratches! If you tell me I am wrong then you are not looking at the surface with the correct lighting.
RedUntilDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #15
BaileyA3
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
As steelghost says, I wouldn't use a brush to try and remove ingrained brake dust at all, if your car got covered in sand (near a beach say) you wouldn't use a sponge/mitt/whatever to try and rub the sand off would you ? Same applies to the wheels.

If the wheel cleaner can't remove stuck on brake dust you need to clay or use an aggressive cleaner - at worst fallout remover.

As suggested, if you can protect the wheels it reduces how much crap will stick.
I may be taking what you've said the wrong way but surely fallout remover would be the best option before using clay or aggressive wheel cleaners. Personally I would opt for fallout remover before the other two, as has been said with the clay inducing fine scratches and the potential of damage being caused by aggressive wheel cleaners.
BaileyA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #16
Crafty
PC Perfectionist

Yeah agreed, fallout remover is probably best in terms of touch free removal but I wouldn't use it regularly, it is basically an acid (of some sort) after all. I understand that regular use of fallout remover can dull the surface of paint.

I've used clay to remove specific spots of brake dust and then thrown it away (done the same for tar spots), you guys are right, if there is removed iron (brake dust) in the clay and you're rubbing it all over the wheel you would cause damage.

The best way is to stop the stuff sticking to the wheel in the first place..
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crafty For This Useful Post:
mr.t (19-08-2017)
Old 15-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #17
Kella09
Unwashed Member

I have gloss black alloys!

I use auto finesse iron out, spray each wheel leave for afew minutes then jet them off, then get yourself a decent mitt or wheel woolie and hand wash each wheel with your normal car shampoo, megs ult W&W or next gen is what I use, obviously gloss black show scratches really really easily but if you use enough iron out or fallout remover then you shouldn't get any scratches (at least I haven't)
A decent sealant will make it a million times easier on your next clean my wheels have just had gtechniq c5 and it is a must have on any alloys!!
I got a mate to put the c5 on as I have no experience but it seemed easy enough to do myself if I'm being honest!
Take time and pride if you want nice alloys and bodywork!
Kella09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 07:46 PM   #18
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 5,391 Times in 3,817 Posts
Garage
You say you used snow foam and bilberry wheel cleaner? I assume your wheels were dry and caked in brake dust before hand. I think you should have power washed the wheels first, spray on Citrus pre wash, power wash rinse then snowfoamed the wheels then let them dwel before washing with bilberry. I carry out those steps but use auto finesse wheels soap instead of bilberry. Most of the brake dust would have been rinsed away before my brush even touches the wheels. I have gloss black alloys too and no marring what so ever.
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 08:04 PM   #19
wish wash

A wheel brush for nuts, a microfibre mitt for the faces and wheel woolies for the rest. It helps massively if your alloys have a coating on them. You can get 90% of the dirt off just with a jet wash. The less touching the better.
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 09:39 AM   #20
Tykebike
Sponge Jockey

It just makes me wonder if using a jet washer is the best idea in these circumstances as the powerful blast disturbs all sorts of abrasives: underbody rust, dust, grit not to mention the grit that is on the drive, tyres etc. and this probably gets sucked into the jet stream forming a nice grit blaster.
I do use the jet washer so I don't get hung up on this theory, but then again I haven't got nice glossy black wheels.
Tykebike is offline   Reply With Quote