Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 26-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #1
das6dan
Sponge Jockey

VW Golf Mk5 - Needs a winter coat

What is it with women and cars...my missus has had this golf 10 years and it's a mess lol.

Its got it all, rust, dents and paint loss.

Paint loss down to Primer? A victim of pressure washing ! Got this on the bonnet too.

IS this sortable with chipex type solution?

Dent with rust, i know this needs to be beaten, filled then painted by a pro, but could I sand this rust off and protect?

Door edge with rust

I'm detailing it too, but concerned with the level of clearcoat i've got left.

Thoughts were;

Mezerna Super Heavy cut to get swirls defects out.
Sonus Super Finish Polish to get to decent gloss (If i'm lucky)
Seal up with SRP (all i got).
Collinite wax to finish
das6dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #2
das6dan
Sponge Jockey

So here is a bit of am update after the weekend.

I clayed the motor after a wash last weekend, i'd never done this before and found it quite interesting result wise. Car is 13 years old and never been clayed so the clay really suffered! I probably needed two but scrimped on one. It rained early week and there was grime on the surface even though I thought i'd got off the lube with an MF. Washed it down and it was gone.

I also Bought some wonder wheels acid version, i had images of the Acid attack victims in my head when i was scrubbing away. Unfortunately it still didn't shift the calipers. Not an entire waste of money as it shifted a bit not done by Iron Out on the other wheels.

After Wonder Wheels

A pressure wash down and then onto Bonnet wet sanding and getting some of the paint chips levelled off which was my first attempt with wet sand. I watch Forensic Detailing videos to learn, and im glad i did, jon gave some good information on what to look out for and what I need to be cautious of!

On to the Bonnet with Mez 3500 and White compound. Came up really well, hard work with my old 500w DAS6, but slow passes and patience, coupled with tea supplies and it was just about ok on compounding.

Whole car done and I thought i'd give Sonus SFX3 a bash, not overly awed by this stuff, it wasn't as glossy as I thought it could be, however im wondering if its my pad, so will get a new Final Finish polish Sonus one.

Full car before

Full car after so far

Gave the headlights a bash as they were very poor.

Before

Headlight after, she was chuffed as nuts!

Sand down with the 2500, compound, sfx4, seal and then wax. (I did one to see results with the clay bay which actually came up better).

So...need to do a final finish next week, seal, wax then fall on the floor!

I'll post some pics of the paint touch up issue I've got on the side door in the week.

Last edited by das6dan; 08-10-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:33 PM   #3
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,201 Posts
Garage
Well done, its big improvement, the first post with the scuff on the bumper i suspect is too deep for chipex. Massive improvement on the Headlights (my dad has a '06 Golf and its went cloudy too).
Christian6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:23 AM   #4
das6dan
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian6984 View Post
Well done, its big improvement, the first post with the scuff on the bumper i suspect is too deep for chipex. Massive improvement on the Headlights (my dad has a '06 Golf and its went cloudy too).
My DSLR needs a detail as well, mirror on it is bleeding knackered!

on side dent, I know, i've got rid of the rust, primed and will just protect it. Better than it being exposed to the elements with rust.

Still a bit to do yet so will update with more progress!

No idea why headlights go cloudy, i guess its grit, salts, and general grime abrasion.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:26 AM   #5
das6dan
Sponge Jockey

Also this was the wheel before wonder wheels

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=399428