Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 21-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
DC240S
Washmitt Meister

Garage
2006 Audi TT Quattro Sport

Hi everyone,

I’ve been on here for some time under a different username with my Seat Ibiza GTi Cupra Sport.

Thought I'd start a thread for my latest project and share progress.

Ever since I first saw the early left hookers appearing at VAG shows and the first time I sat in new one at an Audi dealer many years ago - I've wanted a mk1 Audi TT. Only recently I have found myself in a position to purchase one - though its actually slightly an irrational decision it has so far proved to be VERY enjoyable 2 years in.

I first began my research/search in the summer of 2014 by signing up to the TTforum, joining the TTOC and reading as many reviews, guides and mags I could find.

My initial objective was to find either a roadster or coupe 225 that was just post facelift, no colour preference and a budget that would allow for any age/service issues to be addressed plus a few modifications - with that in mind I set out to view SOME!

I very nearly purchased the first one I viewed! - a 2002 black 225 coupe with one owner and just 13k on the clock!! Annoyingly the early start and 5 hour round trip to London proved wasted as the condition didn’t match the expectation. It was externally very tatty, had spent a life outside possibly under trees and had suffered parking abuse.
I then must have viewed a dozen or so all varying in age, miles, colour, condition and price - travelling hundreds of miles up and down the country. What was becoming apparent was that low mileage was not a guarantee of condition, and that descriptions were often inaccurate or misleading.

The game changer was when I went to view a 05 Misano Red QS with 50k at Norfolk Performance Cars. Unfortunately it was a CAT-D which I couldn’t live with but it looked and drove so special, I decided I had to find a QS!
I then viewed a further five more QS’s including flying to Belfast, NI to view one in Misano with just 35k, which again didn’t match the expectation/description (had a nice day in Belfast though!).

I was starting to loose hope by now until by chance in late September I spotted a 2006 Misano Red QS with 25k miles advertised on AutoTrader. A very urgent call/conversation with the seller followed and a viewing was arranged for the next day.
Another 2.5 hr drive to Essex and I found myself watching as a MINT QS emerged carefully from the darkness of its garage home to stand gleaming in the sun. With the feeling I got as I took a first walk around I new I wouldn’t be walking away from this one!!

Heres some pics of when I viewed/purchased it.

DC

Last edited by DC240S; 21-11-2016 at 03:44 PM.
DC240S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DC240S For This Useful Post:
Cookies (06-05-2017), Kriminal (23-11-2016), Offset Detailing (26-10-2017), SBM (16-04-2017)
Old 21-11-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
DC240S
Washmitt Meister

Garage
The TT was spared daily use and I spent some time gradually making improvements through careful cleaning and replacement of some trim.

I started to amass a few bits and bobs to fit in the future including a mint as new inlet manifold bought, genuine Audi discs and pads and some detail bling:

Old 21-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
DC240S
Washmitt Meister

Garage
The door steps were an early replacement - TBH the originals where pretty much perfect with the smallest of scuffs but I got the new ones cheap and the virgin plastic does look smart. The old adhesive was a bloody pain to remove though!

Old 21-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #4
DC240S
Washmitt Meister

Garage
The interior of the mk1 is quite special and I didn't want to ruin it with an obtrusive phone mount.
I found this neat solution utilising the air vent I think combines well with a brodit pro-mount (fixed to each other with hi strength double sided tape.

DC

Old 21-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #5
DC240S
Washmitt Meister

Garage
A detail that really annoyed me was the small clear plastic VIN window in the scuttle trim clouding/braking down - very common due to heat - so bit the bullet and bought a new one.

Old 21-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #6
DC240S
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quick (and very shaky) shot of scuttle all fitted.

With a sibling at a TTOC event...

Old 21-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
DC240S
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Completed a common modification to the rear light units to enable twin brake lights - which is euro specification only I believe due to UK MOT requirements relating to proximity of fog lights - quite straightforward to do and impressed with the effect.

Before:

Light units removed and opportunity taken for an inspection and clean:

After:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DC240S For This Useful Post:
GrantB5 (21-11-2016), Kriminal (23-11-2016)
Old 21-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #8
DC240S
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Earlier this year I got the chance to get busy with the DAP begin to correct the paint.

I started with the area of the hatch below the spoiler as it was suffering from swirls and scratches - particularly around the Audi badge which also had a halo of marks. As I had a new genuine replacement badge I removed the old one to make life easier.

Some before images:

Old 21-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
DC240S
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Treated the area with CarPro Iron X, some Tardis then a session with a clay bar.

Then got busy with some Menzerna compounds and Chemical Guys Quantum Hex Logic Pads - results:

I then fixed the new badge on using a position template I made and applied glaze and a couple of coats of wax.
Old 21-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #10
DC240S
Washmitt Meister

Garage
There was an impending need to replace the brake discs/pads.
I decided to put a bit of effort into this and take the opportunity for some aesthetic improvement.

I sourced genuine front/rear discs, genuine rear pads and Ferodo Performance DS front pads. I also "splashed" out on new rear splash plates as the originals can be seen and looked scruffy.

The factory paint/coating on the new splash plates didn't look great so I primed/painted these with several coats of Eastwoods Extreme Chassis Black (Satin) - which I have used previously and been impressed with.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DC240S For This Useful Post:
sshooie (24-11-2016), Turbo Tony (02-01-2017)