Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 14-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #21
Forsh
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Nice to see you tackling stuff in a 'proper' manner

Had an '86 E30 325i back in the '90s - what a tail happy beast that was! until I put some quality tyres on!

Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #22
Streeto

Reminds me of my 325i sport

Streeto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Streeto For This Useful Post:
Magic (16-09-2017)
Old 14-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #23
mickmills
Unwashed Member

Ha Ha Stevie Wonder and Edward Scissorhands !! I thought it was only me that used those descriptions

Good work your doing though and making it look easy
mickmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #24
enc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1topdog View Post
Good work so far. Its obviously had a blow over at some point. I'd be tempted to have a poke around under that cracked paint at the bottom of the NS rear C post - who knows what lurking there!
this.

nice project. .. just hope you didnt pay a lot for it
enc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 10:02 PM   #25
Magic
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro-son View Post
What a mess! Glad you've fixed those wires looks much better and actually works. Nicely done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammedorion View Post
Nice work
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyTaffy93 View Post
Bajeebus! That was a mess of a wiring situation! Glad to see you've got it pretty much sorted on that front. Crackin' work !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
Brilliant work bud. Keep it going!

Cooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdoser View Post
Excellent project thread. Keep up the good work.
Cheers guys! It's pretty satisfying fixing all the electrical woes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W124coupe View Post
Despite its list of niggles, not actually a bad buy considering the risk you took. Love the E30s. Will be following the thread to see how it transforms. Original set of cross spoke BBS alloys will transform it completely.
Yeah, it's not too bad. The only real issue is rust.

I agree on the wheels! Once I've got the major issues resolved that's going to be my first purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1topdog View Post
Good work so far. Its obviously had a blow over at some point. I'd be tempted to have a poke around under that cracked paint at the bottom of the NS rear C post - who knows what lurking there!
Very observant! For what I can tell, it's probably had two equally terrible blowovers. The finish of the paint varies from terrible to rough. Hopefully with some correction it should come up fairly well.

I did actually look at that on day one, luckily it's only the paint cracking. The rust hasn't made it there yet haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsh View Post
Nice to see you tackling stuff in a 'proper' manner

Had an '86 E30 325i back in the '90s - what a tail happy beast that was! until I put some quality tyres on!

Cheers man. I'm looking forward to driving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmills View Post
Ha Ha Stevie Wonder and Edward Scissorhands !! I thought it was only me that used those descriptions

Good work your doing though and making it look easy
Cheers man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enc View Post
this.

nice project. .. just hope you didnt pay a lot for it
Cheers man. It was a good price had it been drivable.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 10:38 PM   #26
Magic
Sponge Jockey

Garage
After fixing many wiring issues, I tested all the electrical items in the car to see what still wasn't working. The first on that list was the wipers. After a short investigation I realised that the wiper motor was the issue.

Now a little side note, after working on the car for quite a considerable time now, I've noticed that lots of things are bolted down improperly, fitted incorrectly, missing bolts etc. So I think one of the previous owners at some point stripped the car down to restore or something and then for whatever reason didn't. Decided to sell the car, and bolt everything back on badly. Now I'm paying cost.

Carrying on, once I got the wiper motor I noticed an issue.

The linkage was actually fitted in the incorrect position. I spent an hour adjusting that when I refitted the wiper motor.

I pulled the wiper motor out and opened it up to see if I could see any issues. I'm no wiper motor technician, but I knew there was an issue.

I disassembled the wiper motor and found the cause. The motor had stripped the flywheel teeth.

I thought this would be cheap fix. It's a common problem, so someone must sell replacement flywheels. No, of course not. I had to spend £50, for a whole new motor to get that plastic cog.

Once it arrived. I fitted the replacement flywheel, cleaned up the wiper motor and regreased everything.

I then cleaned up all the other plastics and brackets, and refitted the wiper motor. Note the correct position for the linkage.

Whilst I was there, I repainted the wiper arms and fitted new wiper blades.

All tested and working! However I found another problem when testing - I'm seeing a theme here. The washers don't work.

Finally, I decided to quickly run over the bonnet with my DA, just to see how it would come up. Looks pretty good for the short time I spent on it. Needs refining, but it'll do for now.

Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Magic For This Useful Post:
Cookies (16-09-2017), dubb (28-09-2017), JB052 (08-10-2017), JoeyTaffy93 (17-09-2017), John_H (17-09-2017), Sicskate (16-09-2017), Slammedorion (17-09-2017), uberbmw (18-09-2017)
Old 17-09-2017, 11:03 PM   #27
John-R-

Love these E30 318is'
My old man had one years ago, in white, got when it was only 6 months old, the previous owner had spec'd it to the hilt, with a full black leather interior and 15" wheel upgrade etc etc, wish I could have afforded the insurance when he traded it in for an E36 version

John
John-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #28
saj1985
Sponge Jockey

good work
saj1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 11:38 PM   #29
H-M3
PC Perfectionist

Wow! great work there buddy. I had few of these motors in he past, easy to work with as there are a lot of guides online. But it seems you are quite experienced anyhow so keep it up. I was a member of E30zone where you can get lots of info and tips.
H-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #30
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Excellent thread for an excellent car. You may have been duped a little but the car still looks pretty solid all things considered.

It will be worth it in the end and you seem to be doing a fantastic job - Best of luck to you!
c16rkc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
318is, bmw, e30