Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
bannan
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Grande Punto Sporting 1.4 T-Jet

I haven't posted on here for quite some time but I always show an interest in older cars that need a little work and restoring.

We were in need of a second car for me to take the daughter to nursery and had been looking at all sorts of small hatchbacks. I only stumbled across the T-jet, I didn't realise they did a Turbo. I viewed a couple and quite liked the styling etc. This one appearred on gumtree, i called the guy and arranged a viewing, fortunately the trader selling it had a ramp in his workshop and insisted he raise it up for me to have a good look before I even made any offers.

He had already replaced the front discs and pads, also OSF coil sring and track rod end rear discs and pads had also been changed recently too. When raised up I also noticed one of the exhaust front pipe hangers had sheared off, he replaced the full front pipe as part of the deal.

On viewing the car I noticed that all of the paintwork was original from what i could tell. There is a small amount of flaking paint on the front arch lip on both sides but not too badly rusted so I will sand, treat and paint that soon before the roads get salt on them.

3 of the wheels had been kerbed, 1 was quite bad. The steering wheel coating had also started to peel which is very common on the Fiat/Abarth/Alfas which I knew I could sort no problem.

It is on a 57 plate with 77000 miles. I am the third owner and the previous owner went by the name of Albert so I don't think it has been driven hard at all.

Some photos

Some of the issues

There was actually no history with the vehicle say that the timing belt had ever been changed so that was the first thing to get done before using the car. On inspection I think the picture gives the proof. Timing belt kit and new water pump now all done.

Steering Wheel refurb

I spent a couple of hours removing the old paint from the leather covering on the steering wheel, this consisted of simply picking the coating off and also wiping Leather Prep on a cloth over the paint which softened it up quite a bit. After lightly sanding the steering wheel to remove any rough areas I also gave another going over with the Leather Prep that I purchased from the Furniture clinic.

Before

After the colourant was applied. Satin finish coat to be applied later when fully finished as it still needs a couple more coats and waiting for a new bottle to arrive.

NSF Wheel refurb
I removed the wheel and took inside after a quick clean down. I cleaned the damage with some soapy water and dried thoroughly, keyed the area to be filled before mixing up some Isopon Wheel Filler and applied to the damaged areas. This was left for 24 hours till the next day before starting to flatten back.

Flattened back using mix of Aluminium oxide paper and 1200 wet & dry paper on a small rubbing block.

Area masked up and keyed with a couple of coats of high build primer

After the primer I smoothed off the edges ready for the colour coat, again masking the rest of the area to reduce over spray.
Finally moving the masked area further back to apply the top coat. I will leave this for a week or two for polishing to allow the paint and top coat to fully harden. Not a bad effort for a diy job I think. I have done a few wheels over the years so think I have got my technique to a good standard now. Not a bad match in colour either considering it is a smart repair using rattle cans.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by bannan; 07-10-2017 at 04:50 PM.
bannan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bannan For This Useful Post:
carrera2.05 (08-10-2017), nbray67 (07-10-2017), Sicskate (07-10-2017), Top Banana (08-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
nbray67
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,950 Times in 1,437 Posts
Garage
No pic's to see for me due the Photobucket shenanigans.
nbray67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nbray67 For This Useful Post:
bannan (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
bannan
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbray67 View Post
No pic's to see for me due the Photobucket shenanigans.
Yeah I noticed thanks, bit of a nightmare! Uploaded through tapatalk now so should be working?

The Following User Says Thank You to bannan For This Useful Post:
nbray67 (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
davies20

Well you have educated me.

My panda 100hp steering wheel (which is getting put up for sale soon) is doing the same as yours, I always thought it was a retrim job, not just a case of painting it!
davies20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #5
Blackmondie

Garage
Nice job on the wheels! Looks like a good car. The T-jet 1.4 is a good engine. Just warm the car up driving slowly, as these can not take driving hard with a cold engine like you would with a german engine...
Blackmondie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blackmondie For This Useful Post:
bannan (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #6
bannan
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmondie View Post
Nice job on the wheels! Looks like a good car. The T-jet 1.4 is a good engine. Just warm the car up driving slowly, as these can not take driving hard with a cold engine like you would with a german engine...
Thanks for the advice. I will be taking care of the turbo as if that was to fail, it would be pricey to replace. Planning on keeping the oil nice and fresh.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
bannan
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davies20 View Post
Well you have educated me.

My panda 100hp steering wheel (which is getting put up for sale soon) is doing the same as yours, I always thought it was a retrim job, not just a case of painting it!
Get a kit bought and repair it as it makes a massive difference on appearance!

Old 07-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #8
Jue
PC Perfectionist

Nice job you’ve made with the steering wheel & that wheel
Jue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jue For This Useful Post:
bannan (08-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 11:04 PM   #9
LewisChadwick7

Thanked 1,170 Times in 832 Posts
Look good mate! Theyre nice motors tbf! I miss my old grande mine was the 1.4 non turbo though to keep insurance cheap as I was only 19
LewisChadwick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LewisChadwick7 For This Useful Post:
bannan (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 12:22 AM   #10
c87reed
PC Perfectionist

Garage
It's been a long time since I've seen a sporting model. Looks like you've tackled a nice couple of jobs. I did like these when they were new and had planned to lease one way back in 2009, iirc there was a really long lead time on them and so I ended up getting the then new model Fiesta Zetec S instead.
c87reed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c87reed For This Useful Post:
bannan (08-10-2017)