Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #221
percymon
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Excellent job on the headlights - would there normally be covers at the rear of the bulb holders ?

Hope the LEDs prove reliable, i know a few people who tried them on various GM and Nissan vehicles without success a year or so ago - either the bulbs failing (due to over heating and some units had big heat sinks/fan tails on) or the beam pattern being hopeless. In your case the LEDs look to be at similar distance from the base plate as the old bulbs so that should help the beam pattern aspect.
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to percymon For This Useful Post:
jas_racing (15-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #222
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,644 Posts
Garage
Great update...

Just to note though, you say about HID kits being not so legal, I believe these LED upgrades in place of standard bulbs is also not quite legal.

I think the only place you are supposedly allowed to use them is if you swap Xenons for LED that have the proper auto adjustment etc.

I'm only saying this on the basis of what you said, if you already know this....then ignore me

Can't wait too see this finished, but then...we'll stop getting brilliant updates like this one.
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
jas_racing (15-10-2018)
Old 15-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #223
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
Excellent job on the headlights - would there normally be covers at the rear of the bulb holders ?
Yes, I’ve left them off for now as the only option to have them fitted with the heat sink on the back of the bulb is to cut a hole in them, and I didn’t fancy doing that and it looking a bit naff
jas_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #224
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck88 View Post
Great update...

Just to note though, you say about HID kits being not so legal, I believe these LED upgrades in place of standard bulbs is also not quite legal.

I think the only place you are supposedly allowed to use them is if you swap Xenons for LED that have the proper auto adjustment etc.

I'm only saying this on the basis of what you said, if you already know this....then ignore me

Can't wait too see this finished, but then...we'll stop getting brilliant updates like this one.
I must admit I’d merely assumed the LED lights were legal when retro-fitted?! The MOT man will set me straight when the time comes I’m sure
jas_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #225
JoranRaven
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_racing View Post
Yes, I’ve left them off for now as the only option to have them fitted with the heat sink on the back of the bulb is to cut a hole in them, and I didn’t fancy doing that and it looking a bit naff
Could you not fit the box inside the headlight unit? It’s what I have done with the hid ballast on my e46. If there is room you can use twin stick to secure it.

Love the work you’ve done on the car by the way and do let us know how those lights perform
JoranRaven is offline   Reply With Quote