Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #31
Ennoch
Orbital Oracle

So a little update; I have new front ARB bushes. I've still not got onto doing anything at the back after the Hardrace debacle, of which the upshot was that Apex (Hardrace/BC) are either wilfully aiming to cheat customers, incompetent, or both. Suffice to say I will never buy anything from them ever again. Utter jokers.

Anyway, onto the process of replacing the bushes.

Firstly, the U-shaped brace needed to come off. This is the case for several bits on the front end so it shall be staying off until I'm done with replacing various other parts at the front, including possibly going for a tubular manifold. As I have an ALK fitted, I also have a number of aluminium spacers to allow the brace to clear the larger than stock rear LCA mount. Sadly, it seems that in the four years since I've last had the brace off, some serious galvanic corrosion's taken place and eaten significantly into the blocks. So when it's all re-assembled there's going to be plenty marine grease and Dynax going in there! Before starting the disassembly I also soaked all the bolts copiously where I could with some penetrant to hopefully reduce the risk of any damaged threads/snapped studs.

Removing the brace. Do this from the front to back, only slightly undoing the rear ones for which the holes are slotted. This allows you to simply pull it forwards rather than try to drop it all at once.

Corrosion ahoy!

A sorry looking lot but degreaser and some soaking in strong acid got rid of the worst of the rot, allowing me to primer and paint. Hopefully this'll stop it getting any worse. If it comes to it though I can easily enough get some more made up as I've got the measurements:

Old v new!

With the ARB brackets removed:

The brackets:

Back together and slathered in BH Hydrate 80 (after removing the loose stuff, before being painted with zinc anti corrosion primer and cooated with Simoniz Tough Satin Black.

Whilst under there I also took a bit of time to start getting rid of the surface rust before the real rot starts to set in. It's the downside of using this car all year round, particularly in winter to go climbing etc, and also of having it sat outside all the time. But as much as I like keeping it in good condition, I have realistic expectations of whats achievable. I don't own it for it to be a garage queen...

Sumps go bad on these, as do the lower radiator support (I'm going to take the bumpers off when I get a chance to do the same on the crash bars):

It's still not sorted the knock though, which I've finally traced to a gubbed engine mount. Yayy, another job...
Ennoch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ennoch For This Useful Post:
scooobydont (13-10-2018), Tuddie (10-10-2018), wrxmania (17-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 09:53 PM   #32
Ennoch
Orbital Oracle

I still don't have a picture of the new front seats in the car, nor the new steering wheel fitted. But I do have a picture of what you can do with your old ones; upmarket cat baskets!

Old 10-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #33
Nozza
PC Perfectionist

when you take the front bumper off, can you post some pictures of it on here after removal please, I need to do the same with my STI and having pictures helps when trying to take bits off and put them back! Cracking thread by the way.
Nozza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nozza For This Useful Post:
Ennoch (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #34
Ennoch
Orbital Oracle

Thanks Nozza. Not too sure when I'll get a chance to go at the rust behind the bumpers to be honest but it really isn't too hard. I've not had mine off yet on this car but I've removed a fair few Blob and Hawk bumpers in the past and not had any difficulties.

I just found a guide here which seems to be fairly true to what I remember doing the last time I removed one (some people suggest removing headlights but I've never found it necessary):
https://www.iwsti.com/forums/diy-mod...r-removal.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Ennoch For This Useful Post:
Nozza (13-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #35
Ennoch
Orbital Oracle

Next, sorting the squealing on start up caused by two fifteen year old dry rotted Aux belts. I had intended waiting until I got the timing belt done as they both have to come off to do that, but I couldn't deal with the screech any longer, nor the power steering that would sometimes come and go as the belt slipped on the pulley. I could have just increased the tension but it's almost as much effort to do that as it is to just replace the belts!

Releasing tension after loosening the two alternator mounting bolts

Old v new:

Also, it hasn't liked sitting for the last few weeks with minimal driving which had left the battery flat (the alarm seems to be a fairly significant drain on it) so while I had that off to charge on the bench I decided to clean up the battery tray (another potential source of rust on these cars).

The surface dirt I wasn't worried about, but the fact the drain hole was plugged was a bit more concerning

This is the little drainage channel at the front of the tray. A zip tie cleaned it perfectly which let the water flow freely:

Cleaned and sprayed liberally with Bilt Hamber Dynax UC (it dries matt):

Also, finally, a picture of the Bugeye (01-02) upgraded 'Sports' spec front seats installed. These are lighter and significantly more deep set than the Blobeye seats which are a bit more comfortable for longer journeys but don't offer nearly as much support in the upper back/shoulder region. These were dropped as an option on the Blob as this was the time the side airbag rules came in. The actual upholstery is slightly different but not so much that you'd notice if you weren't also sitting in the back (the older fabric is thinner and smooth whereas the later stuff is more heavily textured and has holes that fill with crumbs, pine needles and other dirt).

Still to do in the next few weeks;
- New front Lambda sensor
- New rear control arms
- New rear trailing arm bushes
- New whiteline rear droplinks and ARB bushes
- New NSF engine mount

Also now added to that list is a new PCV breather valve and a new set of gaskets for the drivers side rocker cover as the drip has got bad enough that after a hard run there's usually smoke coming off the manifold on that side. It's a common problem but as ever with the Impreza, space is tight for what is an otherwise pretty straightforward job (I may do it at the same time as the engine mount so I can lift the engine to create a bit more space.

Last edited by Ennoch; 12-10-2018 at 01:00 PM.
wrxmania (17-10-2018)
Old 13-10-2018, 05:32 AM   #36
Andyblue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,443 Posts
Cracking updates and good to see it coming on
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
Ennoch (13-10-2018)
Old 13-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #37
Nozza
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
Thanks Nozza. Not too sure when I'll get a chance to go at the rust behind the bumpers to be honest but it really isn't too hard. I've not had mine off yet on this car but I've removed a fair few Blob and Hawk bumpers in the past and not had any difficulties.

I just found a guide here which seems to be fairly true to what I remember doing the last time I removed one (some people suggest removing headlights but I've never found it necessary):
https://www.iwsti.com/forums/diy-mod...r-removal.html
Thanks for that, I don't know when I'll get round to doing mine but that guide will come in handy! All the best with yours mate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nozza For This Useful Post:
Ennoch (13-10-2018)
Old 13-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #38
Ennoch
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozza View Post
Thanks for that, I don't know when I'll get round to doing mine but that guide will come in handy! All the best with yours mate.
No worries, if I get a chance to shove it in a workshop and spend a few days doing it then I will, otherwise I'll be relegated to weather windows seeing as winter is nearly upon us. I reckon the arch lips could do with some treatment too.

If you're going to start pulling plastic liners and the bumper off I'd recommend ordering up a load of these little clips. They're cheap as anything and that way you don't need to worry about breaking them as they'll have hardened and become more brittle with age:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IM...-/171073793989
Nozza (14-10-2018)
Old 13-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #39
Ennoch
Orbital Oracle

Something else I'm going to do is repaint the PFF7 replicas I had on the car with a view to selling them at some point, but this then led to thoughts of also needing to redo the winter wheels. I did these 3 years ago and while the colour coat is fine, I lacquered them with Hycote Wheel Lacquer. I can't say strongly enough how bad this stuff is; it just doesn't stick to the base so after the first drive was already peeling off! So I need to take them back to the base and redo.

I'm undecided whether to go for Audi Dakota Grey as they currently are, or use the other can of Subaru Crystal Grey I have from when I did the GDA STI wheels with. I'll need to spend a fair effort getting all the old lacquer off (it can't be simply overcoated) so I'll have time to decide...I'm thinking of Dakota Grey simply because it doesn't show the road grime so much! I'll need to do it soon though because I'm hoping last winter wasn't a one off.

Audi Dakota Grey on OEM WRX 17x7" wheels (Pirelli Sottozero 3 225 45 17 fitted):

This car isn't and hasn't ever been pampered, nor considered a garage queen...so hopefully there'll be plenty more of this in the next few months! I suspect these photos may go some way to explaining the rust I'm finding. Oh well, I bought it to use it rather than look at:

Last edited by Ennoch; 13-10-2018 at 09:06 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ennoch For This Useful Post:
Nozza (14-10-2018), rob267 (13-10-2018), scooobydont (13-10-2018), wrxmania (17-10-2018)
Old 14-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #40
Nozza
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
No worries, if I get a chance to shove it in a workshop and spend a few days doing it then I will, otherwise I'll be relegated to weather windows seeing as winter is nearly upon us. I reckon the arch lips could do with some treatment too.

If you're going to start pulling plastic liners and the bumper off I'd recommend ordering up a load of these little clips. They're cheap as anything and that way you don't need to worry about breaking them as they'll have hardened and become more brittle with age:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IM...-/171073793989
Thanks for the tip with the clips, I have a few clips already but not those ones so will order.

Tags
impreza, modification, restoration, subaru, wrx