Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Tech & Gadget Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Tech & Gadget Zone Gadgety, Techy or even a Techy Gadget! Stick a post in here! Sponsored by SlimsDetailing - inspired by anybody who has a car they love and care for

Old 09-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #11
shl-kelso
Orbital Oracle

My own view (having recently upgraded from a 65” Samsung plasma to a 75” Sony full array direct backlight with local dimming LCD/LED is that there is a big jump in picture quality even with upscaled HD - my new TV has much better motion handling, much more accurate colour, and far higher brightness.

When I am able to use 4k HDR (and especially with Dolby Vision) then this really does show how far image processing has improved over the years. I don’t mean all the artificial processing/smoothing modes that more often ruin the image, but the base processing that simply achieves a natural image, correct colour, correct brightness/contrast, and fluid motion without needing to resort to professional calibration.

UHD Blu-ray definitely gives the best picture with an appropriately well mastered disc, but even watching Sky Q and HD sources looks so much better.

So choose wisely and you should easily see the improvement both from a bigger screen and better quality images.

Prices will be better again come January on current 2018 model TVs once the major manufacturers announce their 2019 ranges at CES, but like any tech you have to decide to buy when it suits you as there are always new models with more improvements just waiting to be launched. So expect brighter screens with potentially better colour accuracy again next year, although the improvements are becoming incremental again rather than being massive steps forward as the current technologies and processing mature.
shl-kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #12
Andyblue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,748 Times in 1,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westerman View Post
I know Virgin will be available within a few months, problem is I've recently locked myself into BT for 18 months.
I think it might be best to wait a while and within around 12 months see what's available then. That way I can buy myself out of BT....

Harry

Harry, just wait until BT email you with a price increase - probably around January time if previous history is to go off - you can then give them notice you’re not happy with the increase and leave - it’s in their T&C as is their ability to just increase your cost mid contract - I’ve had the argument several times with them...
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
westerman (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #13
westerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shl-kelso View Post
My own view (having recently upgraded from a 65” Samsung plasma to a 75” Sony full array direct backlight with local dimming LCD/LED is that there is a big jump in picture quality even with upscaled HD - my new TV has much better motion handling, much more accurate colour, and far higher brightness.

When I am able to use 4k HDR (and especially with Dolby Vision) then this really does show how far image processing has improved over the years. I don’t mean all the artificial processing/smoothing modes that more often ruin the image, but the base processing that simply achieves a natural image, correct colour, correct brightness/contrast, and fluid motion without needing to resort to professional calibration.

UHD Blu-ray definitely gives the best picture with an appropriately well mastered disc, but even watching Sky Q and HD sources looks so much better.

So choose wisely and you should easily see the improvement both from a bigger screen and better quality images.

Prices will be better again come January on current 2018 model TVs once the major manufacturers announce their 2019 ranges at CES, but like any tech you have to decide to buy when it suits you as there are always new models with more improvements just waiting to be launched. So expect brighter screens with potentially better colour accuracy again next year, although the improvements are becoming incremental again rather than being massive steps forward as the current technologies and processing mature.
Thanks for your helpful post, from the research I've been doing your comments do make a lot of sense.
Just as in any other industry whatever is the best at the time soon becomes yesterdays tech and on we go!

It seems 4K is similar in context to how 'HD Ready' followed by 'Full HD' were at the time. Theres the technology for great viewing but a shortage of material to be viewed in the format.
However the ability of some TV's to upscale means an improvement even though it's not yet the real deal.
I'm still leaning towards waiting a while and coinciding the new telly with switching to Virgin but being of an impulsive nature, anything could happen

Harry
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 07:54 PM   #14
westerman

UPDATE:-

Well I said I was impulsive !! I have spent the last week looking at TV's and reading reviews.
It's obvious the very best are Oled or Qled and way above my price bracket anyway as I was looking sub a grand.

Having always had Panasonic but they do seem to have been overtaken by the likes of LG, Samsung and Sony.

Anyway I never thought I would go 'left field' but I have plumped for a 55" Hisense. model H55U7AUK at a price of £649.

All reviews and reports say it punches way above it's price with 4K UHD, HDR,Certified with up scaling and using Hisense's heavily patented 'ULED' which I think is and LED Edge backlight system that works well.

I'll see how I get on. Internet channels will be curtailed according to my lack of speed but until I get Fibre Optic I'll muddle through.
At least now I have the technology and bigger screen

If you wonder at the Hisense, check out the model I have bought (above) it looks good.

Expecting delivery tomorrow from A.0.

Harry
The Following User Says Thank You to westerman For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (17-09-2018)
Old 17-09-2018, 08:24 PM   #15
Andyblue

Thanked 1,748 Times in 1,549 Posts
Ooh good news then - hopefully arrive tomorrow and you can get it set up and enjoy - don’t forget the “before” and “after” shots of the new TV
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
westerman (18-09-2018)
Old 17-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #16
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,348 Times in 4,432 Posts
I have always been into Sony and nearly bought the AF8 but due to Android tv interface being a pain and slow I to a gamble with LG C8 as the AF8 has the LG panel anyway love it interface fantastic and voice control great.
As said already I have got caught out he internet speed needed for Netflix and the likes, but await my 4K DV player soon, and getting good picture on Freesat box.
Matched with sonos sound bar it’s great
Derekh929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 12:35 AM   #17
westerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekh929 View Post
I have always been into Sony and nearly bought the AF8 but due to Android tv interface being a pain and slow I to a gamble with LG C8 as the AF8 has the LG panel anyway love it interface fantastic and voice control great.
As said already I have got caught out he internet speed needed for Netflix and the likes, but await my 4K DV player soon, and getting good picture on Freesat box.
Matched with sonos sound bar it’s great
I have a Panasonic HD Bluray player at the moment with twin freeview and will probably update that to a UHD / 4K job.
I have a Panasonic sound base which certainly is an upgrade on TV sound and offers a number of nice audio options. Looking forward to getting the TV tomorrow and setting it up.

Harry