Detailing World Forum banner

Astra 'GTC'

4K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  robertdon777 
#1 ·
Well I booked a test-drive in one of these for next week, so I'm not sure quite what to expect of them as I've heard mixed reviews.

Because I'm a low-mileager, I'll probably opt for the 1.4 petrol unit, although could be persuaded into going for the diesel as I've heard it 'pulls like a train' & has reasonable power (as you would expect for a 2.0litre.)

I'm just really doing the test-drive to see what the 1.4 petrol is like against the Golf's 1.4 TSI engine.

It's a nice looking car the 'GTC' but the prices for it are scarily expensive! :doublesho Almost £20,000 for......an Astra?!! :confused: :doublesho Even the Golf is cheaper! :thumb:

#5 ·
To be honest I think a lot of it is because the petrol units really need revved. My dad has a 1.8VVT Insignia and I thought it was completely gutless but it just needs to be kept up the rev band and it can be entertaining. I am used to driving a 185bhp diesel car with low range torque so it is very different to the Vauxhall petrols.

#7 ·
I been looking at new cars lately and cant believe the prices of some cars. I remember my Mum buying a Yaris for 6k brand new in 2001 now the yaris is 10k.

Its the sports models that Im shocked at. I was looking at the Focus ST and Astra VXR a few years back and they were 17,500 and 19,000 respectively at book price but now looking at the websites a Focus X and Astra Elite, the models below are 21k. Crazy.

Really like the look of that Hyundai above but how much bigger can cars go with the front grill in the future?

#10 ·
its a nice car interior is nice vauxhall have come on leaps and bounds, price increase is because of teh stuff its packed with they are catching vag cars reducing the gap.

compare the stuff you get in the astra then the same with an audi vw suddenly its not a cheap vag car.

#13 ·
The Astra GTC is built well, handles very well, comes loaded with features (get the SRi model)

It's a big car car, can take four adults and has a huge boot.

Overall, I adore mine. The 1.4T petrol engine is disappointing but I think that's down to me not pushing it hard enough.

I would choose one of these over a price equilivent new VW Golf.

#14 ·
The Astra GTC is built well, handles very well, comes loaded with features (get the SRi model)

It's a big car car, can take four adults and has a huge boot.

Overall, I adore mine. The 1.4T petrol engine is disappointing but I think that's down to me not pushing it hard enough.

I would choose one of these over a price equilivent new VW Golf.
On the flip side; SWMBO has a 59 plate Astra H SRi, I have a 59 plate Octavia (same platform as Golf) and I despise even being in the Astra. Her car rattles, shakes, squeeks, bumps, makes every conceivable noise under the sun. My Octavia is solid, doesn't make a sound and is generally a nice place to be.

Just my experience, not looking to start some sort Vauxhall/Skoda war.

#15 ·
I have the same, but the Mrs astra feels more solid, less rattles than my octavia. Tbh its far better than the e90 BMW I use daily too (search Google on e90 squeaky door rubber!) , its our first VX and we have had it over 4 years, normally we change every 2 years so that says something.

#16 ·
DO NOT pay RRP on any new vauxhall ..... I know thats sounds stupid but seriously ........ most decent dealers are already knocking off £3k-£4K list price from the GTC if you take finance !!

Guy I know just bought an Insignia VXR brand new, list price with options was £35.995 ......... dealer managed to get a deal at £29.850 !!! :eek: :)

I went from a Astra VXR to my Insignia Turbo and the difference in quality is just unbelievable. The Astra VXR felt cheap inside and very dated, my Insignia is a lovely place to be inside, and so much toys as standard its unreal !! Ok they are not quite "there" yet ..... but they aren't far off :)

James

:)

#20 ·
For what it offers though, even at full rrp there isn't anything else that can offer 320bhp, 4WD and available in saloon or estate. It's at least 10k (more like 15-20k) cheaper than a similar specced S4. Yeah the S4 is the better car, but its not 15k better. Whoever tells you it is cannot see past those 4 rings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.