Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 27-12-2015, 10:47 PM   #201
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Jeez its amazing some of the techniques which are out there. Just read through that attachment and the results look great, nice that it cleans out everything on the inside aswel (thinking that would be useful for cleaning up an alloy throttle body)

My method for the mount was just a thorough clean with autosmart Tardis with a stiff toothbrush as a generic clean to begin with (other products degreasing properties would probably be fine) followed up with autosol metal polish with scotch pads, working down from red, to green to the finer grey. Then just a final buff and polish with a microfibre. Cost effective option without any special equipment needed. Just takes more time as is usually the case
Willsy309 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willsy309 For This Useful Post:
k@tbloke (28-12-2015)
Old 29-12-2015, 01:20 AM   #202
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Had a few hours on the 309 today. Waiting for a few more parts to arrive again before I start reassembling the front end.

Whilst I'm waiting I've been tacking some more of the ugly stuff. In/around the engine bay there's been various bits of surface rust here and there which all needs sorting. Vast majority of it is extremely minor and will wait until I take the engine out to do a full respray on the engine bay.

However I've wanted to get the worst looking bits spruced up.

This bit of the front frame is improved again. Still needs a bit more work yet, you can see the small hole that I need to get welded when the cars mobile again.

Better than it started anyway

Next up today was to start attacking the scuttle panel area. This is an area which I should be able to completely finish and reassemble hopefully before the end of the week.

You can just see the surface rust sitting at the bottom of the scuttle too. Some bits were straying under some of the seam sealant which is always a worry but I've neatly trimmed it back a bit and it hasn't strayed anywhere near the actual seam line. Will be easy to resolve.

Anyway after a few hours scrubbing and a few hours letting Bilt Hambers Deox gel work its magic I've ended the day here

And the scabby looking bit at the bottom of the scuttle is slowly getting there.

The other bit which I'd been flicking between today was the front brake line bracket within the passenger arch. This bit (and the opposite side) I am tending to for piece of mind. As you can see the surrounding area is plastered with factory stone chip. Whilst this is great when it's sealed, in removing the slider clip that retains the solid line and flexi hose in place, it was obvious that the clip had penetrated the excessive application of stone chip and therefore could have been susceptible to water ingress and may be a potential hidden lurker for rust.

So I've excavated around it, have cleaned the fixed bracket up and can happily report that there have been no hidden bits of rust so far. I shall reapply the necessary coatings and stone chip safe in the knowledge that it's a confirmed safe zone from rust.

That's it for today.
Old 30-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #203
moxy89
Washmitt Meister

Do you still have the sax? Remember that when I was building my vts
moxy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 06:25 PM   #204
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Hey Moxy! It's been a while. The Saxo went around 2010? Yes it really has been that long.
Since then I've dabbled in a few 'temporary' projects of an AX GT500, AX GT and 106 XSi.

The Saxo sold to someone else as a shell, he rebuilt it, then ruined it, then someone else on Saxperience bought it hoping to restore it back to how it was when I had it. It's been off the road for ages now, I suspect that he's given up.

Anyway this ones a keeper :-)
Old 30-12-2015, 07:06 PM   #205
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Apologies for this being an extremely boring update.

I have been working on the 309 over the last few days inbetween tidying up the Christmas mess in the house.
I've mainly been carrying on with some rust removal on the same few parts from the last update. Sure, rust removal gel does work, and it works well, but it does take ages.
My input has mainly been applying the gel, leaving it a few hours, giving it a good scrub with scotch pads and small tooth brush sized wire brush, repeating the process then wiping clean and reassessing. Several coats are needed generally before I'm completely happy that's it's clean.

So here's how another days worth of application is panning out (I have ran out of my usual Bilt Hamber Deox so today I've been using a similar Hammerite product)

Old 30-12-2015, 07:17 PM   #206
moxy89
Washmitt Meister

Yeah, such a shame, my sax ended up the same, however I'm sure this will be stunning as the attention to detail was second to non on the sax, good look I'll keep my eye on this
moxy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #207
lincolndanny
PC Perfectionist

Missed this last update Matt, cracking work as usual. Have you got the front end back together yet?
lincolndanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #208
NicolaiT
Sponge Jockey

Awesome project! Did you like the Hammerite product and what is it called?
NicolaiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:26 AM   #209
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolndanny View Post
Missed this last update Matt, cracking work as usual. Have you got the front end back together yet?
Evening Danny. Chance would be a fine thing, I've barely had any time on it over the last few days. I still waiting for the new coolant outlet to arrive before I can reassemble too. Getting quite frustrating now as I'd really like to get the front end assembled, and back on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolaiT View Post
Awesome project! Did you like the Hammerite product and what is it called?
Thanks Nicola :-) the Hamnerite product is simply called Rust Removal Gel. Not the most imaginative name but at least there's no confusion I guess. The Hammerite stuff does work and it's handy that it's a very bright green when it goes on and seems to change any rust that's being removed to dark brown/black do it's very clear which bits still need a bit more time before its back to clean metal.
I think the better/quicker product is the Bilt Hamber Deox stuff though. I've just ordered some more of that so I'll go over all the areas again with that prior to a final rub down and degrease before applying Bilt Hamber Electrox zinc rich primer and the top coats.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #210
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Evening all,

After a long hard slog, almost a weeks worth of cleaning up the scuttle area (which I might add is a damn awkward job that requires a contortionist to help with looking in all the nooks and crannies) I'm finally happy that it's rust free.

My earlier update covered some rust that was evident in the passenger side. A similar scenario awaited on the drivers side. Again praying that nothing had developed into a hole

As you'll recall from earlier in the thread the scuttle was full of rotting conifer debris and had therefore been wet constantly for god knows how long. A worry as it was deep enough for the rust to have started creeping under the seam sealant which spreads about 20mm either side of the seam.

I've reduced the seam sealant spread to 10mm or so and fortunately no rust extended that far up.

As a starting point the rest of the drivers side wasn't too bad

The factory paintwork here is pretty crap anyway, there was never much of a key given to the surface for the paint to stick too and small bits had begun to flake loose. I really spent ages going to town on it all over with the harshest (red) scotch pad. Anything loose was easily shifted.
Then came several applications of rust removal gel. I'd ran out of the Bilt Hamber Deox Gel so I've been using the Hammerite alternative. It still works well but I've found that it needs longer to do the job and I've got through it much quicker.

Anyway all done...?

....wishful thinking! Ever the one to be thorough I grabbed the trusty mirror (old sun visor mirrors are very handy) and had a look at the underside of the lip.

Sinking feeling, many more hours of work needed

Same the other side

And more rust beginning on the underside of the other ledge just above the seam sealant.

Oh well best to catch it early. After several more hours of graft I've defeated it

So to be 100% sure I hadn't missed anything I got the scotch pads out again and gave it one final blitz, followed by some very thorough panel degreasing to clean all traces of the rust removal gel.

Two thick coats of Bilt Hamber Electrox (95% zinc primer) that they claim offers better protection than the original galvanised factory coating (I hope so!)

And that's that stage finished

The electrox is very thick stuff and does seem to fill the majority of the pitting left by the surface rust.
I'm going to leave it for a few days now to dry fully. Temperature isn't exactly ideal.
Painting I'm going to have to do in two parts, I'll do the hidden underside first as it's tricky spraying with the can inverted, I'm bound to knock the visible parts a few times in the process so I'll do the visible bit as a second stage when I'm not having to lean over at obscure angles.

That concludes the fun and games for a few days now.

Last edited by Willsy309; 05-01-2016 at 08:56 PM.