Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 30-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #291
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Another days work on this section. Maybe one more day and this bit will be rust free

After this bit is rust free I'll give it a couple of good coats of Bilt Hamber Electrox zinc primer. Then I'll get the bit above the fuel tank stripped back. It's taking so long to do these sections that I need to get a coating on it before moving on to the next so that it's more manageable

Once the entire rear end is done then I'll reapply some fresh stone chip in one go.
Willsy309 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willsy309 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (30-06-2016), SBM (30-06-2016)
Old 30-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #292
transtek
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

That is so much work! Your arms, neck and shoulders must be killing you! Can't wait to see it finished.
transtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #293
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Hey all, finally a bit more of an update for you.

At long last I've conquered the worst looking bit of the 309's rear end.

I'm pretty confident that I can't possibly have got it any more rust free.

So before it has chance to think about rusting again I've given it 3 liberal coats of Bilt Hamber Electrox. Given the time it's taking between sections I'll do this on each of them then give the lot a final coating before moving on to the stone chip.

Next task is to conquer the sections either side which are a little tricky to say the least.

Passenger side underway

Drivers side so far untouched

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Willsy309 For This Useful Post:
baldy1926 (14-07-2016), Ben_W (13-07-2016), Cookies (14-07-2016), GrantB5 (18-11-2016), SBM (16-07-2016)
Old 15-08-2016, 06:45 PM   #294
Ben_W

Thanked 1,440 Times in 890 Posts
Willsy, I R needing an update!!!
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (15-08-2016)
Old 15-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #295
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 4,976 Times in 3,642 Posts
Garage
^^^^^^ what he said.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 07:56 PM   #296
Gerva90
Unwashed Member

Stunning job... I love old Peugeots and 309 is one of the rarest, it's years I don't see a 309 on the road... My dad had a GR 1.3l in the past, for two years, after his 405 been stolen... Then I purchased another 405...
Again, good job!
Gerva90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #297
Lugy
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Wow! Just spent the last few hours reading this, what an inspirational thread and probably one of the new benchmarks. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result!
Lugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #298
Bustanut

Garage
Fantastic, I had one of these cars exactly the same colour, registration was E66 CTO. Everyone else had the 205 at the time but I actually preferred the 309 GTI and they were supposed to have handled a bit better than the 205. I remover an old boy stopping me at a local petrol station asking me about it and commenting how nice it looked. Can't wait to see this finished and you must promise to take it to waxstock when it's finished so I can relive my youth. Had mine in 1994 for about 2 years. Had to replace the clutch and the dreaded brake lines. Apart from that and some overheating issues it served me well.
Bustanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #299
Humpers
Sponge Jockey

Any update???????
Humpers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:09 PM   #300
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Good evening everyone, and a belated Happy New Year.
Apologies for the lack of any update during the latter part of 2016, generally there wasn't any. I'd bought another project to occupy me for a couple of the hotter summer months whilst it was too hot and impractical to continue with the rust removal on the 309 rear end (too hot, gel dries out too quickly) however that projects been a pain in the ass, and sapped a lot of time.

Anyway I've restarted on the 309 from where I left off. From the previous update I was beginning to tidy up the passenger side of the boot floor.

One thing that's become increasingly apparent is that originality with the factory stone chip really isn't feesable to get hung up on with this restoration. The truth of it is that the old finish is failing and so is the original galvanazed coat underneath. Anyone who thinks they have a mint 309 underneath would be sadly disappointed. There's bits that I'd cleaned which looked in good order but in cleaning back the boot floor most of it has been removed, for the greater good.

These bits for example all appeared to be unbroken clean factory stone chipped areas. After some digging I've unearthed some welding requirement. This is a common area either side of the fuel tank which, from some horrors that I have seen, I think this has been captured VERY early

Passenger side

Looks harmless??

Needs attention

The worse, drivers side

Those areas can be sorted soon. In the meantime I'm focusing on the areas which are obstructed for access if the rear suspension was fitted.

Back into this area

Another example of 'what lurks beneath' the right hand side here was coated in some lovely factory stone chip just minutes before this pic

So on with the Bilt Hamber Deox Gel again

This really is a painfully slow process. It's so tight in these box sections that no substantial tools can fit in to aide the process, I'm also of the frame of mind that I don't want to remove good material unnecessarily in the process; these areas look like they could/would be a real pain to have to replace any with new material.

This really is my working tool box at the moment. A scribe set for picking at loose rust. Deox gel and a small rotary tool size wire cup and wire wheel to use on the drill where it'll fit

So working in cycles my next day commenced with 3 hours worth of scratching at loose surface rust with the scribe set and screwdrivers. That followed with 2 hours worth of Deox Gel working its magic whilst I did some housework to pass the time.

This is the same area as above after the first application of gel

I've then spent another 2-3 hours scraping again at some of the stubborn areas and picking at some of the pitted bits with the scribe. This is as far as I got yesterday

There's still plenty more hours of work to go into the rear end. Bare with me, I'll get onto more exciting stuff at some point hopefully :-)