Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Old 16-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
cafcross
Unwashed Member

Water spots - make up of water

Hopefully someone can assist me with my query....

I live on a new build estate and our parking is next to the fence of a house which hasn't yet been moved into. As a result of this, the developer are still maintaining the garden which includes using a water sprinkler to help the grass.

A couple of weeks ago the sprinkler was coming over/through the fence and getting the front of my car/rear of my girlfriend's car wet. As we were both going to work it didn't seem much of an issue, although we did mention it to the sales office.

We were then on holiday for a week in Portugal when it was the heatwave. Upon returning back home both of our cars (bonnet, front bumper, windscreen, front wings and part of the roof of mine, and boot, rear bumper, rear quarters and part of the roof of my girlfriend's) were completely covered in water spots from where the sprinkler was running all day and the excessive heat and direct sunlight had baked on the water.

Saturday was the first chance I've had to wash both cars (both protected - Britemax Vantage on mine, C2v3 on my girlfriend's, and G5 on our glass). The water spots have been half removed, but have still left some marks and the paintwork now feels very rough. I've tried CarPro Spotless and a couple of different polishes (by hand, I don't own a DA) on it with no success. The only thing that has made a dent in it is claying it. I know that a DA will probably remove it, and with my success of claying it that will probably remove it.

However, in my mind this is the developer's fault for having the sprinkler emit water outside the boundary and over our cars, even after we have spoken to the developer regarding it, and I don't see why I should waste my time and products trying to fix my paintwork. Therefore I would like to send an email to the developer regarding the issue, hoping that they may pay for compensation for paint correction from a professional detailer or for my own expense. Included in this letter I would like an explanation of the make up of water (minerals etc.) and how the deposits are made up and can be baked onto paintwork (the sales office brushed it off saying they couldn't see why it wouldn't come off as it is just water from a tap - my basic explanation fell on deaf ears).

Does anyone have a scientific-ish explanation of the make up of water and how water spots form that I could possibly use? Or should I just bite the bullet and clay the car/borrow a DA and sort it myself?
cafcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
Mike J
Unwashed Member

Water has suspended particles PPM or Parts Per Million.
The water company should tell you what your supply contains.
Be aware it could also contain contaminants that entered during the construction, bits of concrete, soil, as well as calcium from the aquifer.

I would show the damage, for that is what it is, to the Site Manager, state your previous complaints (which they accepted as genuine) and ask for the Company to cover the cost of a Pro Detail to bring both cars back to their original condition.

The developers do not know what they are doing,
Sprinklers are wasteful of water with 10-15% being evaporated before the water reaches the plant roots.
Flood irregation during the hours if darkness is the best and often only way to get grass turfs to 'take' in not weather, if its seeded its the wrong time of the year for a successful germination, September being the best.

Hope this helps.
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike J For This Useful Post:
cafcross (16-07-2018)
Old 16-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
fatdazza
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,697 Times in 1,218 Posts
Mains water will contain dissolved solids. Sometimes referred to as "hardness".

When the water evaporates the solids are left behind. Hence the water spots.

to remove you will ideally need a mild acid (vinegar will removed water hard water spots, or you can splash out on a dedicated water spot remover e.g. car pro spotless).

Different sources of the mains water will contain different levels of dissolved solids.

Some areas of the country get their water from upland reservoirs and the water has low dissolved solids.

Some areas get water from underground aquifers, where the dissolved solids are very high. You will see this as limescale in your kettle etc.
fatdazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatdazza For This Useful Post:
cafcross (16-07-2018)
Old 16-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
LeeH
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

A 50/50 distilled vinegar solution will fetch them off, or anything mildly acidic.

And no it won’t ‘damage’ your paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LeeH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LeeH For This Useful Post:
cafcross (16-07-2018)
Old 16-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #5
JamesRS5
Washmitt Meister

Garage
There’s a few products available, Koch Chemie FSE, newcomer Gtechniq W9 and Kamikaze Collection Water Spot Remover, I have the FSE and KC in my arsenal and both work well and worth trying before you break out the clay bar and induce marring.
JamesRS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #6
Commander2874
Washmitt Meister

Koch chemie fse is a great product. Give it a go

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Commander2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #7
Itstony
Sponge Jockey

Prevention always better than cure.
Drying the car off is paramount in a warm and hot climate. UK is seeing this problem more of late. Try living with it, right pain.
Gtechniq QD is good to clean deposits deposits after washing.
Kock Chemie FSE is highly recommended, but all their products are top quality and one of the most established companies out there. Not had a bad one yet, immense range also.

If the area water is bad, take some time looking at filtering the incoming water supply, many good ones out there. UK water has never met EU standards for years, so always filtered mine there.
Or, even have one upstream of the suply to the hose for washing the car. Just do something or it will continue.
Hope that helps
Itstony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #8
Exotica
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,238 Times in 722 Posts
Meg’s wheel brightner is excellent, obviously use common sense when using it.
Exotica is offline   Reply With Quote