Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Peugeot 309 GTi restoration. Updated 27th & 30th August 2018

Hello all,

Here's my ongoing restoration of a Phase 1 Peugeot 309 GTi.

Over the years I've owned variety of French tin, in the younger days I explored the modification route and learnt a lot about cars having had no actual mechanical training. In recent years I preferred the restoration and preservation ethic and bought a Mk1 AX GT, however with only 25,000 miles on the clock there wasn't much of a challenge, and a too good to refuse offer tempted it out of my hands.

A friend owned a 309 XE at the time which looked great, que the eBay and usual car sale website search for a GTi out of curiosity.
An extremely neglected looking GTi quickly popped up just a mile away, I went to see it, and just couldn't leave it sat there with a future looking not so hopeful.
Other than checking it on mycarcheck that it wasn't stolen or written off etc I really didn't care for much else... It looked to be fairly original and it needed saving!!

So with 90,000 miles, a non runner at the time of purchase (promised that it was just a knackered battery), and with just a V5C and receipt of sale to my 'history file', I had absolutely no clue when it was last taxed or MOT'd either.

Just about broke all the rules in the book there so let the fun begin and I hope you all enjoy the read.
Here is how it first arrived with me as owner number 4 in January 2014, my intentions for it.... Full restoration to 'immaculate' standard, and keeping everything to as original equipment (OE) specification as possible dependant on availability of parts.

Essentially things looked so tired and neglected that I would be pretty much starting from scratch. As DVLA had its MOT status listed as 'not held' I had to assume that with no expiry date of an MOT passed/failed since their records went computerised in 2005, that it had been off the road for around 10 years! The question being why......

Last edited by Willsy309; 30-08-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Willsy309 is offline   Reply With Quote