Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 10-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
saul
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Pulsating pw

Hi All,

Is it common for a PW to pulsate randomly when powered up but not being used?. Not noticed this before, but today seems it does it after every 10-15 mins or so.

Unit in question is a Nilfisk C120.3

Thanks
saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #2
ENEP
Sponge Jockey

Mine does it sometimes when the incoming water pressure to PW is to low.
If for an example the water hose is bent and not flowing fully or if i've not opened the water valve fully.
ENEP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ENEP For This Useful Post:
DimitriUK (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,909 Posts
Garage
It might also do it if there's a slight leak on the high pressure side - the pump will pulse to maintain the pressure.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #4
LeeH

As above, my old Karcher has this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LeeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
Vossman

I have the same machine (C120.3), mine has been doing it for about 12 months, my sons (same machine) did it also before it packed up, not bad though it has lasted about 5 years. Time to seek another one for me.
Do a google search on this problem and many people get this with a Nilfisk, not really any solutions.
Vossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
snrbrtsn
Unwashed Member

Normally the pulsating is due to a sticking unloader valve

Simply locate, remove, clean function and grease to return pressure washer to service
Use a smearing of white petroleum grease
A google search on the Karcher model will help you locate
I’ve resurrected my Karcher Hd countless times, all too many Karcher are disposed of for such a simple fix.

I had Another issue and replacing the lance nozzle cured.
snrbrtsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snrbrtsn For This Useful Post:
percymon (10-01-2018), steelghost (10-01-2018), ttc6 (11-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #7
saul

Garage
Thank you all. Looks like I may have just missed it in the past. Will keep a listen out for it in the future.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:14 PM   #8
Atkinson91
Sponge Jockey

My Nilfisk e140 does it alllll the time......i honestly don't think it's a problem to the function and running of the pressure washer as mine has been through hell and it still works fine, had it for around 6 years now also so it's beat any Karcher or bosch I've had.

One thing I have thought about regarding pulsing PW syndrome, even on a brand new machine is mains pressure drop..... A pressure switch will detect any fluctuation in pressure..... Say someone running a tap in your house, or your boiler pulling cold water in etc...
it will take some of the pressure out of the line you have your PW hooked up to, so if that is the case... Nilfisk just have very sensitive pressure sensors setup in their machines.
I've stripped mine and replaced seals, hoses etc.. thinking it was a problem, until I turn it back on, shout 'SUCCESS' then it pulses :/
It's just a handy feature for Nilfisks to let you know you still have it turned on
Atkinson91 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atkinson91 For This Useful Post:
saul (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
Mcpx

It’s not uncommon, but if it starts to do it every so often you will probably find it starts to become more frequent. Could be a couple of reasons. I had one that I fixed myself and one that was still under a guarantee so was returned and swapped. There is a loss of pressure somewhere, either in the feed into the pw or in the output. First and easiest thing to check is the input, make sure the hose feeding the pw is sound, no leaks (including from the connections to machine and tap) or kinks in the hose. Also make sure you aren’t using water stop connectors anywhere as these can affect the flow.

It is also common to get an airlock somewhere along the line, when you connect a hose to the tap and then start to use it and it runs ok for a short while but then momentarily stops or starts to spit or sputter, that’s an airlock. Connect the washer up but disconnect the high pressure outlet hose and run water through the machine without power for a few minutes, once it’s running through consistently and evenly it should be clear. You should always ‘prime’ a pw before every use by connecting the water supply and pressing the trigger on the gun to run water through until it clears any airlocks that may be present, I usually do this to fill my buckets, two birds with one stone. Once the output is smooth and consistent you can power up the machine and proceed as normal.

If the problem persists after these steps then the pressure loss is In the machine itself, probably an o ring somewhere that has been pinched or perished. Look for any leaks from the machine and lance/gun, however slight. Changing the o rings in the gun is pretty straightforward, albeit a little fiddly to reassemble, and Nilfisk sell o ring kits specifically for the job. If changing the lance o rings doesn’t cure it then the leak is within the pump/motor assembly itself and it is probably time for a new machine.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mcpx For This Useful Post:
saul (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 04:45 PM   #10
saul

Garage
Truth be said, it's had a good innings so far. Was one of my first detailing purchases, so approx 5 years old. There are no leaks anywhere that I can see, I think it is true what Atkinson91 has mentioned "running a tap in your house, or your boiler pulling cold water in etc...".

Will check more thorughly for any leaks from the lance.