Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 25-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
wyliss
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Progressing from a DA to Rotary!!!!!

Well, I've had the DA for 7 ish years now and I feel its about time I moved on.
Any help re makes of polisher to purchase plus any starter tips etc for entering the world of rotary polishing appreciated.
Thanks
wyliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
SBM

Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,720 Posts
Garage
Hmmm, like a lot of these sorts of questions its down to personal preference and choice Wyliss.

For my experience I trained on a Milwaukee rotary, and use the CYC EP801.
I've heard nothing but good about the Flex and Rupes machines too. Strangely I am actually considering a DA - I think they work great with HEX logic pads and you really do have to be a thug to damage a modern car with one.

You will need to keep your wits about you with the rotary

All the best
Ben
SBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
wyliss

Garage
Thanks Ben for the reply.
My 911 has been DA'd recently but I struggled to get some of the light scratches out etc.
What are the top 3 machines people are looking at presently?
wyliss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wyliss For This Useful Post:
SBM (25-07-2013)
Old 25-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
richtsport
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliss View Post
Thanks Ben for the reply.
My 911 has been DA'd recently but I struggled to get some of the light scratches out etc.
What are the top 3 machines people are looking at presently?
I'd be tempted to look closer at your technique and product/pad selection with the DA if your struggling with light defects.
richtsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richtsport For This Useful Post:
SBM (25-07-2013)
Old 25-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
SBM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richtsport View Post
I'd be tempted to look closer at your technique and product/pad selection with the DA if your struggling with light defects.
Yes This would be a good place to start Wyliss -not saying your technique is suspect, but if you check that first, its the quickest easiest way and cheaper than forking our for a rotary. I would also be a little concerned that you may switch to a rotary and be a bot "too long" of add too much pressure trying to move something stubborn - and this is a perfect scenario to damage a 911.
I have a post of a 911 I did a couple of years back...

[url]http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=313658[url]

Re your technique check, I use Menzerna FG500 and finish with FG2500, I did my Audi TT Roadster which was in "Moro Blue" and that was pretty hard paint. FG400 is more aggressive than 500 but I have not had to resort to that so far... What I would suggest is the following which may assist:

1. Moving on to an Orange HEX pad. The HEX cut is a little better on the harder paints/clear coats.

2. If you have been detailing in the hot weather - DON'T! Unless you are in a garage or under cover. The car panels are much better to work on when they are cool.

3. Don't be tempted to put too much polish on the pad, 3 x pea sized drops on a 5 or 6 inch pad is plenty. Cutting is a combination of the polish and the texture (holes and HEX) in the pad. If you put too much on it simply clogs the pad and it does not cut nearly as well. Also do not use too much pressure which again is tempting/natural when it appears to be not working so well.

4. Don't apply to much pressure again the effect will be like above and you will just get tired.

5. Lastly take your time and make sure you have worked the polish well.

Apologies if you know this and I an just teaching you how to suck eggs..

Just want to cover of the easy to correct stuff first.

Good luck
Ben
The Following User Says Thank You to SBM For This Useful Post:
wyliss (25-07-2013)
Old 25-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Ben_W

Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,010 Posts
Agree with all that's been said above about technique. Its deffo the key. Most importanly about working the polish long enough for it to break down fully.

I'm terms of machine, I've just moved up to a Flex XC3401. Its still a DA, but its direct drive so just as powerful as a rotary. Its fantastic. I've just been experimenting with a CG Orange Hexlogic pad and Menzerna FG400 and its blown me away.
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
SBM (25-07-2013)
Old 25-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
vRS Carl
Orbital Oracle

I moved from a CYC DAS6 Pro to a CYC EP801. Very good machine and i really notice the difference between the 2 machines.
vRS Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
SBM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_W View Post
Agree with all that's been said above about technique. Its deffo the key. Most importanly about working the polish long enough for it to break down fully.

I'm terms of machine, I've just moved up to a Flex XC3401. Its still a DA, but its direct drive so just as powerful as a rotary. Its fantastic. I've just been experimenting with a CG Orange Hexlogic pad and Menzerna FG400 and its blown me away.
Yes I have heard nothing but great stuff about the Flex at the moment thats top of my DA list - think i might treat myself in Sept ready for winter! As I said above I am a big Menzerna fan - its all I have ever used, but never had a reason to try anything else. top stuff

Cheers
Ben
Old 25-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
suspal
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,070 Times in 3,298 Posts
Can't go wrong with Flex
suspal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #10
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,613 Times in 4,936 Posts
Garage
Generically a rotary is not a "natural progression" from a da. They are different machines, requiring different techniques, they have their own individual strengths and weaknesses, break down product in a totally different way, behave differently on the panel etc. Choose a rotary if you prefer the way it feels, upgrade your da if you get better results with that machine. Neither safe in an idiots hand and both are safe in a careful attentive persons hands

I only say this as it comes up a lot and its something i firmly believe, with the progression in pad and polish technology the difference between finishes and time taken to get them is becoming nominal. Being able to use both would be perfect of course
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
organisys (26-07-2013), SBM (26-07-2013), Suba (26-07-2013)