Detailing World Forum banner

A day wasn't enough - Clio Interior

42K views 112 replies 94 participants last post by  Forsh 
#1 ·
I agreed to this as a favor for my girlfriends best mate, without really looking into it. She stayed over on Saturday and we all got a bit tipsy, and I arrived at my mums (for driveway use) at 8am sunday morning.

Unfortunately my phone broke, and I used my old battery munching normal camera, forgetting that I had to manually change the macro/autofocus, unlike my phone, so some are a bit blurred

The owners 10 month old daughter has had a bad cough for a few months, and no one knew why. Bear that in mind...

I pulled up on the driveway, still not really having had a good look, and screamed...

Oh dear :mad:

One of the jobs I needed to do was try to bodge the drivers seat back together. The back didn't flip down and the adjuster had come out from underneath.

I took the runners off and cleaned them up

G101 (strong) and some MF's later...

Bodged the stretched tilt cable up with some cableties and superglue for good measure

I then put the runners back on, and failed to make the adjuster stay on. I tried hammering it, swearing at it and bending it. Eventually I got it on but it kept falling off. Plus the seat only runs forwards or backwards with the seat tilted.

Oh well, put it back together and got started by pulling the rear seat squabs out

and regretted it...

everything was covered in thick, green, damp mould :censored:

even mould in the carpets

and melted sweets

and :censored:

So I could bear to kneel in it to get to the rear I gave it a vac. It didn't really make a difference!

grabbed the bin, put some gloves on and set to work. (I've NEVER used gloves when car cleaning EVAH!)

Unbolted one of the seatbelt assemblies, then had to strip it down to clean it

Dived in with the G101, brushes, mf's, the bin and the vac

50/50

t'other seatbelt clip

done

back to it

done (3 hours so far). The seats were sprayed with G101, agitated slightly then vacced off. Then they were steamed, then re-g101'd then hoovered right at the end. The rear doorcard was g101'd, then steamed wet, then vacced, re-g101'd and dried.

re-filled and emptied the respective troops!

and made a 50/50 again

and done after soaking it in g101, then steaming it so the water went black, extracting, repeating, grabbing the hose to get some water in there and rinsed it!

did the annoying bit under the seat

and felt a bit queasy so took some plastic into the garage

and finished the drivers side. Grit was still pouring out of the carpet, but it was getting on for half 3 so couldn't linger

I then attended to the squabs

Didn't get any afters, another hour had passed. They got the same treatment as the backs, g101, steam and george in random and varying order.

Took the door handle off to give it a clean, and get the nougat out

Then my girlfriend and her mate (owner) turned up, which meant it was getting on for half 4. I downed the camera and:

Whipped the passenger seat out
Hoovered out more crap than the drivers side
Scrubbed the mould out of the carpet (was worse this side)
ignored the front passenger footwell as it wasn't mouldy!
Refitted the rear squabs
re-hoovered everywhere
ran a damp microfibre over the dash
re-fitted the passenger seat
packed away
admitted defeat for today, but will carry on in a few weekends time, by properly cleaning the passenger side carpets, clean the dash, windows, upper plastics, boot etc etc.

Afters (sort of)

Also need to wash it when the interior is done, and offered to service it if she buys the bits (she's had it 3 years and never touched it anywhere.

Made a porthole on the bootlid with G101, SRP and Blue Velvet. Looks promising, because it's never been washed it doesnt seem to be full of swirls.

of course, I screwed up the final picture!

The child's cough has subsided significantly, so has the one I got from doing it!

Will update soon... :buffer:

See less See more
#28 ·
I have a Karcher steam cleaner, a few years old now, and had some abuse but still goes strong. I used the little round scrubby brush to do the carpets, as it sorts the pile right out, although takes twice as long! Had a George in suck mode only and my commercial Henry for the dry stuff.

Then, about 3 diluted bottles of G101, an assortment of brushes and about 20 microfibres! Oh, and 4 pairs of nitrile gloves for picking bits of food out!

#29 ·
Absolutely right, we were all horrified at the true extent of the damage! She had no idea the mould was there, I don't think she knew that the rear seats flipped up at all. However, it seems to be working as she has banned food and drink in her car now, as apparently the smell has completely gone and she doesn't want it back to how it was, despite only half being done.

So, as long as I have changed her ways, I'll offer to have it for a day here and there in the year for a wash and hoover, which hopefully is all it will need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.