Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #11
GateKiller
PC Perfectionist

Nick: You charge about the same I do

I just wish sometimes my mates/customers could leave their car for 2days. Trying to get a perfect swirl free finish in 1 day is very difficult.

St
GateKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #12
TriBorG
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I just find that it is hard to find the time to spend doing friends cars over a weekend .....when do I fit in cleaning my 2 cars and the wifes !!!!!
TriBorG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
Mr OCD

Send a message via MSN to Mr OCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBorG View Post
I just find that it is hard to find the time to spend doing friends cars over a weekend .....when do I fit in cleaning my 2 cars and the wifes !!!!!
Welcome to my world... I currently only detail Fri-Sunday (soon to change) but as a result I rarely get a chance to clean my own cars and bikes
Mr OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #14
little john

Garage
I go to clean my car at my Grans she has a drive and I don't. My Dad always turns up with his, "ohh just give it a go with the jetwash" yeah right I did it once and he moaned so the little jetwash job is 2 buckets, foam and hand wash with a mitt to make sure its clean. its only a few month old so I havnt had the chance to do the rest. He did try to clean some bird droppings off it a week after getting it. I got a call the following day as he found out he had scratched most of the bonnet. I managed to remove most of it by hand and its not noticable as far as he is concerned I cans ee it though. I will ge the G220 on it soon.

My sister I pester her in to keeping hers clean. She is happy I have as it looks as good now as the day she picked it up 4 years ago. the result is the first person to see it when she decided to sell has decided to buy it. she gets her new car on Wednesday and I have told the dealer not to touch the outside.

As for others, plenty want me to clean theirs but I don't have the confidence to do it. doing mine and family is ok but others not for me thanks. I am considering my first non family car, another corsa similar age to my sisters so Im reasonably confident about it so that may be my first other car. the guys that live in my grans grove think Im nuts but they all say how good my car looks.
little john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 08:16 AM   #15
m33porsche

Once you get into the territory of charging customer expectation is higher. Excellent point made earlier that this can expose you to poorly looked after swirl infested hard paint with the expectation that the outcome will be showroom condition.

I have been able to keep mine in more or less showroom condition but have looked after it from day 1 when new. Even when I've bought a used car I've spend several days/weekends slowly getting it up to standard.

I don't think I could achieve these results with a UDM in a 8 hour valet, especially if the inside was as mucky as some jobs I've seen posted here. Perhaps if the job's positioned correctly to manage expectation depending on the condition of the car you may avoid any potential conflict.

That's triggered an interesting thought - wonder if any of the pros have had issues with customers not happy and refusing to pay?? Just a thought
m33porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #16
slapshot
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33porsche View Post
That's triggered an interesting thought - wonder if any of the pros have had issues with customers not happy and refusing to pay?? Just a thought
Probably doesn't happen, but I can't imagine a Pro spilling the beans on this forum. It is something of an advertising stage afterall!
slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #17
kk1966

Quick equation for you:

Customer Expectation + Detailing Ability = £xxx.xx

Simple but effective
kk1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 10:32 AM   #18
kk1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
Probably doesn't happen, but I can't imagine a Pro spilling the beans on this forum. It is something of an advertising stage afterall!
I can honestly say its never happened. If anything i have been told its not enough and been given a tip
kk1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 10:35 AM   #19
Refined Reflections

Location: Norwich, Norfolk, East Anglia, England, United Kingdom, 3rd Rock from the Sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by m33porsche View Post

I operate a 100% satisfaction guarantee or no charge, and I can honestly say I've never not been paid.
Refined Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #20
Auto Finesse
Auto Finesse UK DW Supporter

Thanked 6,509 Times in 2,749 Posts
Garage
I just make sure me and the client are on the same page with regards to what is achievable, 100% is not always achievable and any one that says it is, is wrong sorry, say a 10 year old BMW comes in that has lived a hard used life and only ever been washed down the jet wash or hand car wash there is not much chance of it being able to be brought up 100% swirl a RDS free, but it is possable to make a huge improvement on how it looks visually.

I have also never had any one refuse to pay, nor unhappy with the work i have done for some one ( as far as i know ) i do get some clients who think i can turn there car in to a new one some times and thats not always possible, and get the odd can you fill these chips when there are 100s of little ones all over the front end, the odd one or two yes is fine but there is a point where a respray is a better option IMO

There are plenty of part times on this site and on others for that case,
Auto Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote