Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
TriBorG
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

What % of the members Charge for Detailing

Just wondering is it just me thinking about doing some car cleaning for Money ?

I know Detailing world has its Pro Detailers but just how many part timers ae there out there with other day jobs

Do you think mr customer would be put off having the car detailed if your detailer turned up in a car rather than a van ?

I work in IT and there are sooooo many chancers out therre trying to fix PCs little know how and they think they are a Network MCSE Engineer

Gary
TriBorG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
ianFRST
Ford Focus RS

Thanked 1,281 Times in 977 Posts
Send a message via MSN to ianFRST
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBorG View Post
I work in IT and there are sooooo many chancers out therre trying to fix PCs little know how and they think they are a Network MCSE Engineer

Gary
same can be said for people with the PC / G220, do their own car, and then they think there a pro and try start looking for £500 jobs not aimed at anybody in particular, or you btw
ianFRST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Lion

I do detailing from home, so i dont think people would turn there nose up if you arrived in a car.
I get the odd handfull of regulars in the summer, from when i used to detail full time, all helps to go in the beer kitty
Of course i charge about 5% of what i imagine the pros do lol - i mostly do it because i enjoy being able to restore a car to its showroom glory, i let people pay what they think is fair.
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
hotwaxxx

I am a part-timer but have 4 years experience and only work from home.

Having said that - I did detail around 20 cars before actually getting the business set up and even then the first few cars was friends and family cars. You need to get yourself a lot of experience or you can really suffer (especially if someone gives you a hard German paint that is covered in swirls and expects a full correction).

I don't recommend anyone without firstly detailing a range of cars for free (such as friends/families) before asking people for money for detailing. It aint that easy.
hotwaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
TriBorG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianFRST View Post
same can be said for people with the PC / G220, do their own car, and then they think there a pro and try start looking for £500 jobs not aimed at anybody in particular, or you btw
LoL To True

I believe detailing is a skill like any other be it wood work metal work etc the more you do the better you get I am sure 95% of people could join 2 water pioes together or wire a plug even run a Spur off the ring main but would they do it properly that is a different question

I used to do car valeting when I was 17 I am now 38 back then it was a single bucket and a sponge and leather
TriBorG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
barclay03
Washmitt Meister

i dont charge as such, but ive been asked from friends/family to wash or do some defect removal on their cars, and they always offer to cover the cost of products or whatever - i dont ask anythin for the actual labour side.

for example i have a range rover, discovery and astra waiting to be done, and all their paying is for products.. despite how bloody long those 4x4's are going to take me
barclay03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
dotnetdave

Send a message via MSN to dotnetdave Send a message via Skype™ to dotnetdave
i'm the same as barlcay03 do friend and family and been in the mx5 club have a few member who have asked me to do theirs.

I charge basically for cost of products used, and agree with them what i will do before i start. I have a guy coming at easter and doing the full works but he is also going to help and be the lacky for the 2 days as well
dotnetdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
nick_mcuk
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,183 Times in 2,070 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to nick_mcuk
Naaa I have the next week off and its fille d with valeting cars....(photos will be posted on here!!)

You can make some decent enough money....and no people dont turn thier noses up...I use my A4 Avant...just make your car is clean....goes for a good advert!!

My dads mates have have very poor results from Pros turn up in the van....talk the talk but dont walk the walk...having a van means nothing!!!
nick_mcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
GateKiller
PC Perfectionist

I like to detail cars at the weekend and I tend to stick to friends and relatives. I don't tend to charge for my family though.

I sometime get people who have seen my work, contacting and asking me todo their cars. These people I charge but only a very small amount to cover costs.

I do it mainly for enjoyment. I get to try new products and I get a very nice satification seeing a very tidy car. I also get better the more cars I do.

Stephen x
GateKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
nick_mcuk
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,183 Times in 2,070 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to nick_mcuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GateKiller View Post
I like to detail cars at the weekend and I tend to stick to friends and relatives. I don't tend to charge for my family though.

I sometime get people who have seen my work, contacting and asking me todo their cars. These people I charge but only a very small amount to cover costs.
I dont charge my mum or dad...but i do mates rates...normally £60 if its a all dayer....but charge more if its non-family/friends
nick_mcuk is offline   Reply With Quote