Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 26-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #101
Ianbuckwell
Unwashed Member

Just been reading through your thread and saw the nice finish on the aluminium engine bracket for the alternator/pas I believe it was (post 54) you painted it in a grey primer, then silver basecoat and clear coat, which you then baked. Could you tell me what brands/products you used to achieve this?

The details are incredible, little things like the strutbrace Sparco sticker, did you get a matching one or did you have to have it custom made?

Thanks

Last edited by Ianbuckwell; 27-02-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Ianbuckwell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ianbuckwell For This Useful Post:
jas_racing (28-02-2017)
Old 28-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #102
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianbuckwell View Post
Just been reading through your thread and saw the nice finish on the aluminium engine bracket for the alternator/pas I believe it was (post 54) you painted it in a grey primer, then silver basecoat and clear coat, which you then baked. Could you tell me what brands/products you used to achieve this?

The details are incredible, little things like the strutbrace Sparco sticker, did you get a matching one or did you have to have it custom made?

Thanks
I used the below for the parts you mention:

I masked around the Sparco sticker on the strutbrace
jas_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:10 PM   #103
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I spent the day at FCSS on Monday, the plan being to clean up the engine and gearbox, plus drop off the mountain of refurbed parts I've completed over the last few weeks.

So, up at the crack of dawn, hit the road for 2.5 hours and I was at FCSS for just after 9:00am. (Apologies for phone-quality pics, I forgot to take my digital camera with me).

This is how the engine looked to start with:

Top right you can see the tell-tale signs of the rocker cover gasket having been leaking for some time, that whole area with several mm's deep with thick gunge.

From other angles:

Cambelt cover off first:

Engine propped up for cleaning:

Cleaning involved scraping off the worst of the gunge with a flat scraper, then lashings of brake & clutch cleaner, then POR Degreaser. After:

Corroded cast iron was treated with POR Metal Ready, then a heap of masking followed:

Then 3 coats of grey gloss engine enamel:

I decided to leave the cylinder head and sump as they've cleaned up well and look good in their bare metal state. The rocker cover didn't need anything doing to it either as I have the newly refurbed one to go on in due course.

Unfortunately there's an issue with the oil pump as when I removed the oil filter and remote oil cooler base I noticed damage to the thread in the casting (sorry no photos), which is all the same unit as the oil pump. At some point in the past before my ownership it's been bodged with what looks like chemical metal but I'm not prepared to do the same when it goes back together. In discussion with the owner of FCSS he's not comfortable fitting/using a second-hand oil pump so my only option is to buy a new one. Only available as OE units from Italy...at a mere £470 plus delivery - ouch!

Onto the gearbox...FCSS have a diesel-powered hot pressure washer so I used that to remove the worst of the grime. After:

Looks better than it was but not good enough for my liking. Painting is not an option as it won't be durable enough so I'm currently considering blasting the casings in some way, but that'll have to wait until my next visit to FCSS.

The bodyshell of the car is still at the bodyshop in a state of limbo as FCSS don't currently have the space back at their place to bring my car back and keep it in dry storage when it's done. That suits me as I still have to buy a new starter motor, alternator, water pump, cambelt kit & tensioners, aircon pump and the aforementioned oil pump so the bills are racking up and I need to pace myself a bit!

Last edited by jas_racing; 12-03-2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Found & added photos of engine masked up
The Following User Says Thank You to jas_racing For This Useful Post:
Tuddie (13-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #104
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Just noticed you can just about see the damage on the oil filter base/oil pump casting, as circled in the below (damage is to the smaller, inner circular part):
The Following User Says Thank You to jas_racing For This Useful Post:
SunnyBoi (03-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #105
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Oh, and it seems it's a small world in Fiat Coupé terms. In early 2009 I bought my then-girlfriend an Electric Blue 20V non-turbo W reg Coupé, very tidy indeed and drove sweet as a nut. Here it is with my Plus when both were in their prime:

We split up in late 2009 (Christmas day to be precise), she took the Coupé with her and I thought I'd never see it again...

Fast-forward a few years and this is what remains of it, in FCSS's yard:

It had an 'eventful' few years, after I last saw it driving away on Christmas day 2009, being bought by FCSS via eBay in mid-2010, the engine & 'box taken out, a 2.4 5-cylinder lump from a Fiat Stilo Abarth dropped in with a Coupé turbo 'box, a few mods, remapped to 205bhp, then used as a daily driver by the (ex)wife of the owner of FCSS. It ended with a bang: a head-on with an on-coming vehicle in a narrow lane. RIP W157 OLA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jas_racing For This Useful Post:
SunnyBoi (03-03-2017), Tuddie (06-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 10:21 PM   #106
enc
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
what are the 2 extra holes in the boot lid ? have they been moving it about with a fork lift truck or something ?
enc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #107
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enc View Post
what are the 2 extra holes in the boot lid ? have they been moving it about with a fork lift truck or something ?
Yes I think so
Old 06-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #108
Tuddie
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Tuddie
Im gutted seeing cars treated like that.
Tuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #109
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Small update:

A few bits brought back from FCSS needed a clean up:

Oil filter base cleaned up:

In etch-primer:

VHT silver base & lacquer:

Injector rail cleaned up:

In etch-primer:

After silver VHT base & lacquer:

Bell-housing plate as it was:

Cleaned and rubbed down:

Painted in zinc primer then two coats of satin black:

This peculiar looking assembly is screwed into the back of the block to carry the oil pressure switch and gauge:

A couple of coats of aerosol silver Hammerite is all it needed:

The earth cable from battery-to-chassis-to-gearbox before cleaning:

Unfortunately it fell into two pieces while I was cleaning it so some 25mm2 cable and suitable connectors were used to make a replacement. Old vs. new:

Close-ups:

Headlight refurb next

Last edited by jas_racing; 12-03-2017 at 02:16 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jas_racing For This Useful Post:
Alfa male (15-03-2017), carrera2.05 (12-03-2017), DC240S (19-08-2017), enc (15-03-2017), fatttty (14-03-2017), Sicskate (12-03-2017), SunnyBoi (12-03-2017), Tuddie (13-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #110
lincolndanny
Washmitt Meister

Always enjoy your progress updates, a pleasure to read
lincolndanny is offline   Reply With Quote