Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 14-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #31
mdebeum
Unwashed Member

Strange, I've tested both the contact 121 and the butter wax recently and below is the beading I get (tall, round beads, exactly what I hoped for!)

Did you only use gyeon prep before applying the second time? Maybe a paint cleaner or fine Polish is needed to completely remove the old layer, then use prep? But then again M&K Pure should've done it the first time..!

Let us know if you find out what the problem is!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
mdebeum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdebeum For This Useful Post:
Rob D 88 (14-10-2017)
Old 14-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #32
Rob D 88
Washmitt Meister

Garage
[QUOTE=mdebeum;5392169]Strange, I've tested both the contact 121 and the butter wax recently and below is the beading I get (tall, round beads, exactly what I hoped for!)

Did you only use gyeon prep before applying the second time? Maybe a paint cleaner or fine Polish is needed to completely remove the old layer, then use prep? But then again M&K Pure should've done it the first time..!

Let us know if you find out what the problem is!

Yeah, I will give the car a wash shortly and I'll add a picture of the beading after I applied 121 last week.

I have got to send a picture to Fraser too! It definitely ain't right! Yours looks how I'd expect it too!
Rob D 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #33
Rob D 88
Washmitt Meister

Garage
So today I cleaned the car! After one week the beading ain't too bad! I still ain't sure, think it should be better but I might be expecting a bit too much! What does everyone think? The wash today seemed to bring the wax back to life! Could it possibly be dust that's killing the water behaviour as I work in a dusty ish area with a lot of HGV's.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Rob D 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #34
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,630 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D 88 View Post
Could it possibly be dust that's killing the water behaviour as I work in a dusty ish area with a lot of HGV's.
Dust certainly can ruin water behaviour; some LSPs seem more sensitive to this than others. It may be that 121 has amazing beading when clean but poor when dusty?
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
Rob D 88 (14-10-2017)
Old 14-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #35
Gixxer6
Orbital Oracle

Agree with the post above by Steelghost. I prepped my car a few weeks back with FK1000P and the beading was great but after a few rainfalls and driving in rain the beading wasn't as good as when the paint was clean and freshly waxed/sealed. I gave the car a wash today and was going to finish off with Sonax BSD but I didn't need to, the beading and water sheeting was great just as when I applied FK1000P a few weeks ago.

I'm not a scientist but I imagine that dust settles on the paint over time and rain and this will give water something to bond to which affects the beading. Once the car is washed, the dust layer is removed revealing sealed paint and then the beading/sheeting returns.
Gixxer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gixxer6 For This Useful Post:
Rob D 88 (14-10-2017)