Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #51
footfistart
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Well good news and bad news........

Bad news is that the car has developed a really good oil leak. I only noticed it because I had a few nineties waiting for the bus at the work car park so I had a nose under the bonnet and found evidence of oil. So under I went and sure enough thereís a lot of oil around thatís for sure. If bloody annoying as itís one thing after another. Which means Iíll have to get the plastic pig back tomorrow.

Good news is that itís very smooth and pulls strong.

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
footfistart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:42 PM   #52
footfistart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob267 View Post
I am also joining the dad tank brigade
Not as big as your tank buddy.

Just sold my ford focus st3 to raise a deposit for a house. Picking up a 2007 volvo v50 d5 auto on friday.

Worlds apart from the focus st but seemed a comfortable place to be and i liked the auto. Never had a auto before so all new to me.
Hoping its reliable.

Hope all is well with yours after the headgasket. Keep up dates coming mate. Great thread.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

House deposit. I can dream of that. They are comfortable and are motorway mile munchers. Just keep the oil changes up and you wonít have a problem. Is yours 4wd? People refresh the diff oil and while your there you may as well change the gearbox oil to keep smooth changes up. Nothing is safe for life and oil will break down eventually. Be good to see yours when you get it.

Mines back buin bits going back for a developing bad oil leak.

Ryan

The Following User Says Thank You to footfistart For This Useful Post:
Cookies (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #53
Alexbmwx5
Sponge Jockey

I had a V70 last year and found an awesome mechanic who really knew his stuff and was well priced. Out near Windsor. Let me know if thats of any interest and I'll dig out his details.
Alexbmwx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #54
rob267

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfistart View Post
House deposit. I can dream of that. They are comfortable and are motorway mile munchers. Just keep the oil changes up and you wonít have a problem. Is yours 4wd? People refresh the diff oil and while your there you may as well change the gearbox oil to keep smooth changes up. Nothing is safe for life and oil will break down eventually. Be good to see yours when you get it.

Mines back buin bits going back for a developing bad oil leak.

Ryan

Mine is 2wd. Seems ok when i test drove it. But time will tell. Will be changing the autobox oil for sure.
To be honest i think the engine are very reliable so the autobox is my only real worry. Will try and get some pics up when i collect it.
Will be spending some time removing all the silicone spray on the interior trims that the dealer kindly applied.
Why oh why they do this i dont know.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
rob267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #55
footfistart

Garage
So tomorrow is my first day off of twelve. I work four on four off shift take four days leave and boom. Anyways tomorrow it will be attempt number two to collect the car. It turns out that some bolts that where refitted and stripped which ch was causing a leak. So new bolts and holes tapped and helicoils fitted it now doesnít leak. Well Iíll be the judge of that when I bring it home. Last attempt it got as far as Heathrow. My home is another 25miles on that.

So on my twelve days off for the price of four days leave I am hoping to get the lpg system serviced if Valentineís Day hasnít rinsed me ha ha.

Just be nice to get it home and then I can turn my attention to other details. I need to replace the fuel filter and air filter needs doing. Iíve bodged the filter on there if you look at previous pictures. Itís a pipercross filter I had on my mondeo which was a direct fit. This was almost a good fit. A reason for having this in there at the moment was because the original filter was all damaged and allowing air to bypass the filter all together so I pulled the lid off and chucked that one. Sounds a bit chavvy with the brrrrrrrr low down and the chooooosh as you let off the gas. That sounds okay but not the low down so itís go my back to original.

I canít remember if I said this before but when I had it before it leaked again it pulled so much better and my mpg crept up a bit too so it will be interesting when doing 1500 a month again in that to see how it is.

Ryan

Old 09-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #56
footfistart

Garage
So the tank is home. Yay. After some revision and the dog huffing at me for play time I decided to have a little play around under the car. I never went under but my £18 karcher under car cleaner did.

I used some autoglym all purpose cleaner as thatís the closest thing I have to degreaser.

Itís good that you can adjust the fan for different heights and you change the spray nozzles in the same. Not sure what they do but it was bloody cold so wanted to get on.

This was the condition underneath. May or may not be able to tell and I donít have any finished shots as I plan to jack the car up at some point to have a deeper look. But getting the worst of it was the plan.

Gave the entire underside a good spray down with the fan.

Sort of seeing it spraying away.

Foaming time now

I left it that long I forgot about it. Was at least 15mins. During that time I opened the bonnet so I could clean the oily marks away. Now unfortunately because of the lpg system I canít just go and spray everything so Iím a bit limited to cleaning.

So thatís before and as you can see below it can be a bit difficult to get to places.

During this cleaning process an unforeseen incident occurred. Itís happened a few times now and I must get some wood to help for now. The bonnet has two gas struts which hold it up. Much to my knowledge they are original so they are not very good at hold the bonnet up. It slammed a couple of times in the past but today while I was wiping the residue of the edge of the headlight the bonnet came done and my finger was in the cap on the wing. Ouch you could say.

Left a nice indent but now itís ballooned. Took five minutes to untrap it as I couldnít quite reach the edge of the bonnet to lift it enough to free my hand as it patched closed.

I carried on and I think it looks better. There no oily paw marks or spilt oil anywhere now. My power steering doesnít leak now because of the new cap and the oil filler doesnít leak either as it has a new seal on it.

Its undressed as I donít have any 303 aerospace and I donít fancy just spraying everywhere.

Not sure whatís next. I just look at it and decide Iím doing that today. So stay tuned for more fun.

Ps this evening it decided to stall twice and cane up with engine service required. Not sure what was about so I cleared the two fault codes which were to do with throttle position and it purrs again.

Strange......

Ryan

Old 09-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #57
Craighightower
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Really enjoying the article. Where did you get the chassis cleaner for £18? Thanks
Craighightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:05 PM   #58
footfistart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craighightower View Post
Really enjoying the article. Where did you get the chassis cleaner for £18? Thanks

Thank you. Itís a bit all over the place. Not very good at posting or with cars haha but it seems to entertain some people.

B and q had a massive clearance ages ago. Found out on this forum in the here today stone tomorrow section. I bought a couple and sold one and kept my one.

Ryan

Old 11-02-2018, 07:06 PM   #59
Snowglobe

If you need new gas struts, these guys make them for many OE suppliers.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boot-tailgate
Snowglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snowglobe For This Useful Post:
footfistart (17-02-2018)
Old 17-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #60
footfistart

Garage
So not much of an update really as Iím running mega low on money haha.

My left dipped beam failed on me last night and turns out the right hand lamp was fitted upside down so I had to drive through thick forest with fog lights and side lights. Not the best. So after some trouble with the connection as the car plastic surround has crumbled I managed to replace both lamps and got them working. At one point nothing was working but there was a tiny break in one of the lamps which I couldnít see which was rather annoying.

Next thing was to figure out why my reverse lamp on the right hand side had given up. Typically Volvo being good a building cars.... well not very good at giving you access to remove the tail light assembly. I need to get hold of a semi deep reach 10mm socket. So I took the lamp holder out and saw it was a bit damp. Then tried to take the lamp out and this happened.

I managed to get the other bit out and had a look. I swapped the holders over from right to left with a new lamp fitted but nothing so after some swapping of holders and lamps I have come to the agreement that the holder is buggered.

Next I vacuumed the car out. Looks loads better now. Just one problem I came across. Now the cabin gets nice and warm because the stat of a up all the way i lifted up the super thick carpet mats to vacuum underneath them and noticed it was wet under there. Thought maybe a bottle had leaked. Felt it and it felt slightly sticky. I tasted it and yuck!! Antifreeze. Took the panel off under the glove box and had a look and low and behold the matrix is leaking. Not massively as I donít get steamy windows or anything but itís leaking and thatís a B****** of a job to do. While I was under there I took the cabin filter out and that was nasty too. So Iíve kept that out until I get another one. Anyway matrix Iíll need to find a new one but thatís why my level has been dropping slightly now my car is all running well.

So after that I thought f*** it Iíll wash it and before I knew it darkness is starting to draw in and the dog whining for a walk so had to put a stop to it. But the car looks loads better and Iíll be able to see where Iím doing now.

More to come

Ryan