Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
johnnyguitar
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
John's Altea (not another new motor....)

Well following on from my decision to split the Octavia (full details of which can be found searching my threads on this forum), I bought Project 3 Series.....

http://detailingworld.co.uk/forum/sh....php?p=5232627

As a car it was alright. I did a few things with it to tidy it up, but I would have been on a hiding to nothing with the paint so, on the two occasions it was actually cleaned, it went to the hand car wash at the bottom of the road. The only reason I took it the second time was because I'd put it up for sale.

After no end of messers I finally had somebody come round with cash, who's taking it away tomorrow.

I needed a car to replace it and, having sold a couple of parts off the vRS, there was a bit more money in the pot.

Enter stage left, Project Altea.

It was sort of serendipitous - there's a car for sale, belonging to a mate's nephew, here's me needing/wanting a newer diesel (preferably out of the VAG stable) and so a deal was done.

It's an 07 PD170 with 97k on the clock, a couple of parking dings and a scratch on the roof which I suspect was done when fitting roof bars. There's no rust on it, very little stone chips and it drives very well indeed thank you very much. Seats are awesome, it's got electric foldy mirrors and MFSW.

I've already bought some wind deflectors for it and new LED units for the rear number plate.

It's already had a Decat, DPF and EGR delete and the function mapped out, but I think it's running a stock map otherwise. I'll do stage one OR possibly fit the cooler off the vRS if they are a straight swap and go straight to stage 2 (I don't know if this needs a bigger downpipe or I can just use my gutted one).

I'll have the coilovers, RARB and probably brakes off the vRS and then have the Speedlines refurbished and fitted. I want a new head unit and I don't think funds will stretch to an RNS510DAB this time so it will get either an RCD510DAB along with my Bluetooth kit and MDI, or I'll chuck an RNS315DAB in there instead. Lastly I'm going to try and source a set of suitable clocks for it so I can have the full height display.

I'd also like a Cupra splitter and a black bonnet grille and that will do for the time being.

Hopefully all the bolt on bits will be on by Saturday afternoon. Don't hold your combined breath.

Last edited by johnnyguitar; 11-03-2017 at 12:32 PM.
johnnyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
ibiza55

Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,354 Posts
Garage
Looks very tidy matey.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ibiza55 For This Useful Post:
johnnyguitar (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
johnnyguitar

Garage
Cheers - yeah. I'll give it a bit of a fiddle, but it goes well and it's definitely eco enough. There is a bit of a smell of the exhaust that may or may not be down to the decat and dpf delete, or it could be because there is an injector problem which may be covered by a recall.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #4
johnnyguitar

Garage
Those Tapatalk pictures were massive, I've done it the proper way with Flickr now.

Still yet to bolt anything on, although I have bought a pair of pressed plates and fitted the front in the only number plate holder I have. I really want some from a German Seat dealer, so if any of our German detailing brothers and sisters are reading this, do you think you might be able to help me out?!

I've also got an RNS315DAB on the way - I toyed with the idea of getting another RCD510DAB and transplanting the Bluetooth kit out of the Octavia into this, but it'll save some double faffing around.

I think the transplant parts list is:

Speedline wheels
Rear ARB (possibly the front too)
Anti lift kit
MDI

And that's it.

I'd like to put the coilovers on, but I have a slight suspicion they might be different to the Octavia. Oh and I'll have to have the CAN gateway out of the Octavia so the battery doesn't go flat on the Altea once I've put the head unit in.

That's it for now.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #5
TimsBamma
Sponge Jockey

Any updates on this :-) Am thinking of buying an Altea myself...
TimsBamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
davies20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsBamma View Post
Any updates on this :-) Am thinking of buying an Altea myself...
First let me say - holy thread revival!

Secondly - see my post here from back in the day : http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=273966

Long story short. I sold it it the end because of short trips & DPF issues. However, still to this day, the best car I've ever owned. Quick, handling was superb, great feedback from the steering, the gearbox/linkage was excellent! Seriously fun car that surprised alot of other motorists! She did however drink like a fish, no matter how steady she was driven!
davies20 is offline   Reply With Quote