Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 11-02-2018, 11:37 PM   #11
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,768 Times in 2,071 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxftyyy View Post
Would you recommend any products you've used that stood out? I've tried loads and can't really find any that I prefer over others

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
LSPs? Or in general?
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:16 AM   #12
crxftyyy
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelghost View Post
LSPs? Or in general?
In general, I use majority AF but I'm experimenting more now I've been working on more vehicles

crxftyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:29 AM   #13
great gonzo
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,423 Posts
OP

I would suggest you use a paint cleaner or a cleaner glaze with your polisher, they are good to practice with as they do not cut back too much clear coat in the paint but will still give you outstanding results.
I would suggest Dodo Juice Lime Prime or micro prime this was my first intro into Detailing when I had an STI spec D so I know it works well on Impreza paint.

Gonz.
great gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #14
Pablo_the_dogg
Unwashed Member

Smile

Thanks guys. There are so many different products ots a bit overwhelming.
Pablo_the_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #15
great gonzo
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo_the_dogg View Post
Thanks guys. There are so many different products ots a bit overwhelming.
Hah that there is.
They all do a decent enough job, pick a brand you like the look of and perfect it, your skills regarding application is the best product.

Gonz.
great gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #16
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,768 Times in 2,071 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxftyyy View Post
In general, I use majority AF but I'm experimenting more now I've been working on more vehicles

There are very few universal recommendations, but a few that spring to mind would be:

Car Chem 1900:1 - a quality shampoo at a great price (especially if you get it while on offer!) The rest of their range is also well worth a look - currently working through 5 litres of their fallout remover.

Bilt Hamber - one of the great car care brands IMO - Finis and Double Speed-Wax, Surfex HD degreaser and APC, Cleanser Polish paint cleaner and polish, Hydra Wax liquid carnauba, Auto QD, Auto Foam snow foam / prewash, Auto Wash shampoo, their clay is very good (and good value, too), plus all their anti-corrosion stuff...

Finish Kare - Their FK1000P paste sealant, #2685 paste wax and #425 Quick Detailer are all classics

Serious Performance - I particularly like the Ultra Gloss Paint Cleaner, but there's a whole range of hidden gems here, at cracking prices - the metal polish is another one actually, if you want something that will clean and shine without being too aggressive

Britemax is another much under-appreciated range - I'm a big fan of their Blackmax "polishing glaze" and Vantage paste wax, but all their gear is worth a look.

Auto Glanz - Another range that's well worth a look, with a range of AIO polishes, QDs, LSPs that all use a similar chemistry base and hence can be combined in a way you wouldn't necessarily be able to by mixing and matching.

Sonax - I think of them as the German Meguiars - huge outfit, selling in enormous volume and hence able to spread a considerable R&D budget over many many units sold. As such, they offer cracking value for money in many areas (eg Polymer Net Shield sealants), or products that are best in class, eg their Perfect Finish polish.

I could go on - but go and have a browse a few manufacturer's websites - as the saying goes, "use what you like, and like what you use"

As Gonz says above - you could have the absolute best products for every category, ultimately it's your skills in using them that determine the quality of the end result

Last edited by steelghost; 12-02-2018 at 10:59 AM.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #17
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman88 View Post
So my basic routine would go

Pre wash and Foam
Rinse
2BM wash
Rinse, dry
Fallout
Rinse
Tar and glue remover
Rinse
Clay,
Rinse
Dry
Machine (compound/polish/glaze/cleaner) depending on what your trying to achieve
LSP
The above is a good overview of what you probably want to be doing to get that 'pop' you're looking for. As a relative newbie to all this myself, and in the vein of "use what you like and use it often" I might suggest the following:
  1. Pre-wash (Bilt Hamber Auto-Foam, used as foam through a PW lance or as a liquid through a simple garden sprayer)
  2. Rinse
  3. 2BM wash (Bilt Hamber Auto-Wash or Auto Finesse Lather. Both are simple shampoos without any gloss enhancers and have high dilution ratios so are quite economical. Keep this wash bucket for later in the process...)
  4. Rinse & Dry (Drying will help the fallout remover cling to the paint longer)
  5. Iron/Fallout removal (Bilt Hamber Auto-Wheel or BH Korrosol. These are basically the same product and both are paint safe so can be one product for two purposes)
  6. Rinse
  7. Tar removal (Auto Finesse ObliTARate)
  8. Rinse (leave the car wet)
  9. Clay (Bilt Hamber Soft Clay. The soft variety is easier to work and has the least chance or marring your paint. Should be all you need if your paintwork is already in okay condition. Now, if you choose, you can also use the water in your BH shampoo bucket as lubricant to clay the car. Alternatively, BH clay works absolutely fine with just clean water as lube)
  10. Rinse & Dry (You don't want to be using any drying aids during this process that add any kind of protection as you need naked paint for the polishing and sealant steps. )
  11. 'Polish' (If your paint is in okay condition and you're not trying to fix any major defects I'd go with something like Bilt Hamber Cleanser Polish as it'll clean your paint and fill in any small defects without any risk of removing clearcoat. This is where all the prep starts to pay off and you start seeing that 'pop')
  12. Sealant (AutoGlanz Synth-Seal. Really easy to apply, a little goes a long way and should get you a good 6 months of protection and a little gloss)
  13. Wax (Bilt Hamber Double-Speed wax. This'll give you that nice warm finishing gloss and some good beading action)

All the products listed I've had a good experience of and found them easy to work with as a beginner. There's a lot of BH in there I admit but I do have stuff from other brands that I've not mentioned.

You'll have to re-apply the wax maybe every 4-6 weeks depending on outside conditions and how much driving you do but the sealant underneath will just keep on trucking for 6 months so you're always protected.

After this whole process you can just get by with maintenance washes where you can use your drying aids to bring back the gloss & pop. If it's a wash where you're topping up the wax then I'd go without the drying aid.

If you do go chasing every last defect with your DA then you'd need cutting compounds. I've always found Megs M105/205 to work well on my car but I go gentle with it as my Honda Civic has very soft paint. You might find a diminishing compound from someone like Scholl is a little safer in case you get a bit over-excited and try to work the product too long.

Hope that is of some help to you. It's very much my own personal experience with my car and I'm sure others will have another view.

Other stuff in my kitbag:
- Chemical Guys After-wash drying aid
- Meguiars M105/205 compound and finishing polish
- Sonax Wheel Cleaner
- Meguiars Quick-Detailer spray
- Zaino Z-16 Tyre Dressing (Also works wonders on exterior plastics, all around the engine bay, door seals, kick panels, vinyl floor mats, boot load liners.....)
olliewills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #18
Pablo_the_dogg
Unwashed Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for such detailed replies guys.
Pablo_the_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #19
westerman
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I was exactly like you when I first tried a DAS-6 and found things a bit daunting.

You'll find many on here are close to perfectionists on what they do and it is within your grasp to progress to that if that's what you want. Following procedure you will be amazed at what you can achieve.

If like me you are unable to find a scrap panel to work on I wouldn't be too nervous as you can't really go far wrong with a DAS-6.

I am no expert but was amazed how much difference it makes if you wash and prep your paint using clay and fallout remover prior to polishing.

There's loads on here and some great vids on Youtube on how to use the polisher and because it's a dual action machine, the risk of damage is minimal just as long as you follow the recommended procedure.
Have fun.
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 04:40 AM   #20
Ruairi
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo_the_dogg View Post
Hi guys. I have bought my first machine polisher, a das-6 pro.
I've never had a go at polishing or clay barring, nothing more than a snow foam and wash. I'm a little nervous tbh and would like recommendations for products to use. Ive had a look in the article section but still feel a little lost. My car is a silver impreza sti and the paintwork is in good condition. I just want to get it popping lol. Also I'm a little confused about when to use some products like glazes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Bilt Hamber Clay is very popular but some people say it’s too hard. Might want to try Megs Clay.

Glaze is basically a filler. Will fill the scratches but will eventually wear off. Depending on the defects on the paint, you have compounds and polishes. Compounds take on the more serious defects whereas polishes are a light abrasive used on minor defects.

Haven’t used a machine polisher myself but look on YouTube for Junkman and Forensic detailing. They have videos on polishing.
Ruairi is offline   Reply With Quote