Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 15-10-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
williamsclio1
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Clio 182 - Refurbishment and Modifications

I have been looking for a new car for the other half and decided on a 182 Clio, after only a couple weeks of searching I managed to find one listed for £2450 with 90k miles on the clock and listed as in excellent condition.

The issue is that the belts dephaser pulley etc all needed replacing as they where last changed about 30k so I managed to to knock the seller down to £1950, is still rather expensive, however the condition of the car was to good to miss.

The car came with plenty of history, the service book was missing with the car, however its has receipts for service work carried out every year or every 10,000 miles from Renault.

Recent worked included replacement exhaust system, new discs and pads all round and new rear shocks. Its also worth pointing out that its a standard car and its clear that when ever any work was required it had ben carried out.

Only a couple of images of the car so far:

(Exhaust has slipped out the hanger so needs re-aligning)

I have managed to find someone local who works on Clio Cup cars who is going to give the car a full service and change the cam-belt etc for me, I rang Renault to see what it would cost if I supplied the parts and they wanted £550+ needless to say I am not paying them that much especially as the price I have been quoted by the local guy is considerably cheaper.

I ordered all the parts in that are required:

In addition to the service parts I have also purchased two lots of Silver Tek bulbs to replace the orange indicator bulbs:

Also the small registration plate (90mm Depth) to sit flush on the front of the car:

After researching the Renault Cup splitter and seeing that it was £100+ it was brought to my attention that you can buy the Skoda equivalent for just £13:

The steering wheel is in really good condition but in the long term I will be looking to having it refurbished, picture below is of the finish that I will be going for (Snappy a forum user I am led to believe who everyone recommends)

Short term work:
Full service
Cam Belt and Dephraser change
20mm hub centric front spaver
15mm hub centric rear spacer
Cooksport springs
Freshen up the head lights
Full paint detail
Fit LED interior lights (including boot)
Fit LED registration lights
Remove door rubber protectors

Future work planned:
Refurbished steering wheel
Turnins
Cup Spoiler
Interior Mats
Respray door protector on drivers side as slight mark
Touch up small mark on front bumper
Potentially spray the front grill matt black

The reason for my thread is to hopefully help others with changes and ideas with there cars, its also a really good way of keeping a full history of the car whilst in our possession.

Some of you may have seen my project thread for my Ford Racing Puma:
http://passionford.com/forum/restora...storation.html not to much else to do on the FRP so this is the new project.

Last edited by williamsclio1; 01-02-2015 at 11:15 PM.
williamsclio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to williamsclio1 For This Useful Post:
DetailMyCar (12-03-2015)
Old 15-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
jack-c
PC Perfectionist

Car looks great and your plans sound spot on.

Regarding the cambelt it's always worth paying to get the job done right with the correct parts because there's so many horror stories out there with these cars regarding the timing being out or worse can happen. As long as your 100% happy with your guy and he has the genuine Renault cam locking tools I'm sure it will be fine .

Just a heads up, your 182 isn't a cup but that's no big deal because your planning on putting the cup parts on anyway .

Looks like a good find tho and your plans will make it even better. Look forward to seeing your progress.

Last edited by jack-c; 15-10-2014 at 08:54 AM.
jack-c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jack-c For This Useful Post:
williamsclio1 (15-10-2014)
Old 15-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
stuartr
Orbital Oracle

Looking forward to see the changes.
stuartr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuartr For This Useful Post:
williamsclio1 (15-10-2014)
Old 15-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
williamsclio1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-c View Post
Car looks great and your plans sound spot on.

Regarding the cambelt it's always worth paying to get the job done right with the correct parts because there's so many horror stories out there with these cars regarding the timing being out or worse can happen. As long as your 100% happy with your guy and he has the genuine Renault cam locking tools I'm sure it will be fine .

Just a heads up, your 182 isn't a cup but that's no big deal because your planning on putting the cup parts on anyway .

Looks like a good find tho and your plans will make it even better. Look forward to seeing your progress.
Jack thanks for the information, yeah the person doing it is a well know Renault mechanic and has done plenty of full rebuilds etc and has been used by many.

Yeah I should have wrote 182 Clio but wrote 182 Cup by mistake.

I am not one for modifying usually and like to keep cars stock , but due to keeping the FRP standard its nice to be able to have a car to make changes on.

Hopefully most will agree that the changes proposed are improvements to the car. Just after a better looking stance in all honesty and a really nice car for my girl friend to drive and for us to use on weekend instead of her old battered Ka and my old Civic winter run around.
jack-c (15-10-2014)
Old 15-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
jack-c
PC Perfectionist

That's spot on then, good to know .

Trust me those modifications will only improve the car. That modifications list is perfect for these cars so you've clearly done your research.

I've got cooksport springs on mine and they are fantastic. They give a great ride height, flat cornering but retain the comfort. They Can get a little bumpy on rough roads but that's to be expected I guess. You won't be disappointed.

Just a heads up referring to your future plans of the speedline turinis and spacers. The Clio specific turinis come in two offsets.

Clio trophy turinis are ET45 which is the same as your current 182 wheels.

Clio 172 cup turinis are ET38.5.

It's worth bearing this in mind because if you get 20/15 spacers then buy cup ET38.5 turinis you will get rubbing issues.

Trophy turinis and your current 182 wheels will sit perfectly with 20mm/15mm spacers and cooksports.

Hopefully what I've said makes sense and you know what offset wheels to buy in the future to match your spacers

Subscribed!
jack-c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jack-c For This Useful Post:
williamsclio1 (16-10-2014)
Old 16-10-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
williamsclio1

Garage
Jack-C

Thanks for the heads up on the wheels, I was looking last night to see what the difference was between my standard wheels and Turinis couldn't see anything so you've saved me some work there. Wheels won't be for a while as yet but looking forward to the mods in the short term and getting the car stance sorted.
jack-c (16-10-2014)
Old 16-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
enc

Garage
These clios sure are becoming popular on here. Guess you get decent performance And handling for not a huge amount of cash !!
Like the sensible mods and service schedule you have planned.
enc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
ffrs1444

Garage
Have you a link buddy for the number plate I'm trying to get a smaller plate like this
ffrs1444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
williamsclio1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrs1444 View Post
Have you a link buddy for the number plate I'm trying to get a smaller plate like this
Here you go mate - http://www.fancyplates.com/step1.php

You can specify the height and width that you require. (its on the second page, where you specify the dimensions)

Mine is 90mm, some Clio owners go for 84mm so the space around the reg plate is the same when fitted, however its hardly noticeable.

Last edited by williamsclio1; 16-10-2014 at 05:42 PM.
ffrs1444 (20-10-2014)
Old 17-10-2014, 01:05 AM   #10
williamsclio1

Garage
Mini update, replacement registration light, interior light and boot light arrived.

Also ordered replacement reg number plate light holder:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Re...odel:Clio|Cars Type:2.0 16V Sport&hash=item2325d8c2ab

Trying these wipers as well, might be to cheap, but worth a punt at £5
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/21-21-Aero...item4ab235738f

Last edited by williamsclio1; 17-10-2014 at 01:11 AM.