Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 27-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
Soapybubbles
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
When to use paint cleansers?

Just wondering when is suitable to use paint cleansers?

I realise they deep clean paint, however wouldn't a finishing polish like M205 do the same job but also leave a better finish to the paint?
Soapybubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Rich
Kosovan Detailer

Send a message via MSN to Rich
No point in removing clearcoat or paint when there are no actual defects to remove - this is where a non abrasive paint cleaner comes into it's own.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Soapybubbles (27-07-2017), TOGWT (11-02-2018)
Old 27-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,720 Times in 2,870 Posts
Garage
Read this

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=396592
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
Soapybubbles (27-07-2017)
Old 27-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,755 Times in 2,063 Posts
Garage
It's worth noting that there are abrasives and abrasives. The particles in "proper" polishes and compounds are typically aluminium oxide, which is one of the hardest substances known. A number of paint cleaners have light abrasives in them, but they are not hard enough to really cut the paint*, and instead just increase the cleaning effect.

If you have reasonably hard paint, and some light swirling, then a quick run over with a finishing pad and a finishing polish may well clean the paint as well as correct the marks, but it's not something I'd want to make a habit of - you always want to leave the clearcoat on the car if you have a choice - once it's gone you can't put it back.

*unless your paint is very much at the softer end of the spectrum, at which point the cut from the pad is also a meaningful consideration
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
Old 27-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
Soapybubbles

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelghost View Post
It's worth noting that there are abrasives and abrasives. The particles in "proper" polishes and compounds are typically aluminium oxide, which is one of the hardest substances known. A number of paint cleaners have light abrasives in them, but they are not hard enough to really cut the paint*, and instead just increase the cleaning effect.

If you have reasonably hard paint, and some light swirling, then a quick run over with a finishing pad and a finishing polish may well clean the paint as well as correct the marks, but it's not something I'd want to make a habit of - you always want to leave the clearcoat on the car if you have a choice - once it's gone you can't put it back.

*unless your paint is very much at the softer end of the spectrum, at which point the cut from the pad is also a meaningful consideration

Great reply as always Ghost.

I enjoy using M205 as it leaves a great glossy finish, I didn't realise it had a great deal of cutting ability when used with a polishing pad.

Is there such a finishing polish that leaves as good a finish but doesn't cut at all?
Or do paint cleaners do this? I didn't think paint cleaners were able to leave as good a finish as M205 etc.?
Soapybubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
steelghost

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapybubbles View Post
Great reply as always Ghost.

I enjoy using M205 as it leaves a great glossy finish, I didn't realise it had a great deal of cutting ability when used with a polishing pad.

Is there such a finishing polish that leaves as good a finish but doesn't cut at all?
Or do paint cleaners do this? I didn't think paint cleaners were able to leave as good a finish as M205 etc.?
Scholl S40 is a finishing polish with very little cut (from what I've read less than 205) - it's also diminishing so as time goes on it cuts less and less, where's as 205 just keeps on cutting as it's not a diminishing polish. Of course the amount of clear removed will be dependent on how hard it is, pressure applied and speed of machine, but it can have a reasonable level of cut to it.

Other brands also do super fine finishing polishes.

You could also consider something like Britemax Blackmax, which is pretty much designed for the purpose you're describing, leaves a great gloss (there's a review on here) and will also clean the paint.

There's also DDJ Lime Prime (Lite), Bilt Hamber Cleanser Polish, M&K Pure, etc etc - all can be applied by DA on a light polishing (or finishing or glazing) pad, cleaning the paint and leaving a high gloss. They won't do much in the way of correction but if you've already sorted the paint, then that's what you want to look after your clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
mb1
PC Perfectionist

Garage
is britemax blackmax ok on light colour cars like silver.
mb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #8
steelghost

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1 View Post
is britemax blackmax ok on light colour cars like silver.
Yes, despite the name it can be used on any colour of car
Old 10-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #9
dchapman88
Dw Reviewer

Thanked 1,211 Times in 862 Posts
Garage
On the Lowie Detailing Days we always clean and decontaminate whatever car we are working on.
We then step back and look at the clean car we have achieved!

We then use some paint cleanser either my DA or by hand and then marvel at how dirty the residue is.

You honestly don't believe how much dirt gets ingrained into the paint
dchapman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dchapman88 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (10-02-2018), steelghost (10-02-2018), TOGWT (11-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #10
HEADPHONES

Pretty much agree with all the other replies.
I have SRP and Prima Amigo that I use by hand to cleanse the paint before applying my LSP which is Soft 99 Fusso.
Not only do you see the ingrained dirt on the applicator pad but the difference you feel when applying the wax later is very noticeable.
The wax goes on and comes off like a breeze.
Without the paint cleanse waxing on wasn't enjoyable at all, and buffing off was a nightmare, taking ages and requiring alot of elbow grease!
HEADPHONES is offline   Reply With Quote