Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Britemax
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #1
A&J
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,148 Times in 838 Posts
Britemax products combo winter prep

Ive managed to pull a winter prep today...apart from my job, helping my father-in-law working on the house after work and 2 kids & wife Im having a hard time to find a day off to do anything on our cars lately or anything else for that matter.
But today was THE day and the first of our 3 cars was winter prepped using some Britemax products.

Products I used on this detail were:
- Britemax Grime out, used it on the tyres and wheel wells. Mixed 1:3 and all I can say is its awesome.
- Britemax Rubber max, used on tyres and plastics. I kindly lend it from a friend of mine for this detail.
- Britemax Virtue, got a sample so I figured I mind as well use it. I used it on the roof.
- Britemax Blackmax, bought this a while back and used it a couple of times...super simple to use and the best choise if you are strugling to get the perfect result on a black car.
- Britemax E.E. 2.0, also got a sample...was enough for half of the car.
- Britemax Remax, got the 100ml bottle. Used it on half of the car to see how it will compare to E.E. 2.0 on the long run.

Anyways after TFR, PW rinse, Angelwax shampoo, PW rinse, clay cloth with AW shampoo as lube and again PW I was left with water preety much flat on the surface, except on a side panel which still showed some sheeting from Collinite 915.

Paint wasnt looking bad. Some love marks were present from washing it and looking at it too much after wash (you know the "it swirls if I look at it" joke) on this flat blue Renault Clio paint. Nothing some light polishing couldnt handle.

Since I only got a small sample of Virtue I decided to only use it on the roof as I was unsure how far I could go with it.

I used it on a White LC polishing pad. Its soft enough to not skip off the surface yet firm enough to utilize the abrassives in the polish.
After 2 passes on 1/4 of the roof I was suprised how much dirt it pulled off the surface
Before

After

I caried along with the same pad for the entire roof.
I noticed Virtue removed some light imperfactions but could not remove/hide heavier scratches...Those Ill have to sand away some day.
This is what I was left with

You can see the deeper scratches I mentioned.

After 2 section passes I removed the residue with a clean Chinese MF towel. First pass took most of the polish away, and the second pass (after I flipped the towel) removed the rest. Its not hard to remove, but dont let it on too long as the Sio2 particles can cause some smearing, especially on dark paint.
Paint was noticably more reflective/glassy like afterwards.

Next up Blackmax. Blackmax was used on the rest of the car. I used a couple of pads (CG white hex logic, 3M black, Menzerna black, some cheap Chinese soft ones...) and it was fine on all of them, perhaps it proved best on CG white hex logic one where it filled and/or removed most light defects. Problem is...it can fill/clog the pad fairly quickly so you have to clean or change the pad.
I spread the product on speed 2 and worked it on speed 5 with litle to no pressure. Its not a heavy correcting polish so there is no point in working it too much.

Before

Some fun while polishing

After

Removal was effortless...I wish all products could be remove this way. One swipe and boom...reveal the wet look. Its great for the "Best reflection" thread. Just an awesome product !!!

As for LSP I decided to do a little head to head battle. Remax vs Extreme elements. Sio2 spray sealant vs Polymer resin sealant. Both promising up to 6 months, wet look and great beading. We shall see!!!
I applyed EE 2.0 on the driver half and Remax on the passanger half.

EE was applyed using a foam applicator pad.

Application wasnt easy at first . The consistancy felt too thick, it felt grabby and diddnt spread far. It was also hard at first to achieve a thin layer but once the applicator was loaded enough that got easyer and it spread nicely later on. I started on the front part and finished on the back where I achieved a better thiner layer.
Then my wife called me to go inside as it was lunch time...Some Bratwurst, Sauerkraut und Salzkartofflen eating time later (I assume I left it between 20-30 min to cure outside) it was time for LSP removal.

I started removing it and it seemed promising at first given this photo of me having some fun removing it.

But removal wasnt as easy as I expected it to be. I had to buff hard to remove it and double or tripple check and remove it at some parts. Ultimately I remove all of the residue. I think I applyed it too much on the side part and on the roof. Problems why, listed above

Remax went on the other side of the car. At first I wanted to use a MF applicator, load the product on the applicator and spread it like a coating but it loaded too much causing some smearing when removing. So I switched to the MF towel method. Spray on the towel and apply, flip and remove. At application Remax felt very grabby. It reminded me of Gtechniq C1.5 silo seal I have laying around. Both are super grabby at application but easy at removal once you flip the towel or remove it with a second towel. I experienced the same with Remax when using it as a drying aid too.
As with E.E. 2.0 a double or tripple check of the paint is advised as you can easily overlook smears or parts you failed to remove off paint like this one here

I left Rubber max for last. I borrowed it from a friend. I remembered he bought it a while back and I thought it would compliment the Britemax combo detail nicely. It was the first time I used it and so I diddnt know what to expect. I heard it left a matt look on the tyres and those rumors were true.
It reminded me of Poorboys bold/n/bright but Rubber max diddnt spread as the Poorboys counterpart. In the end I thought I used quite a lot of the product. Looks wise it was nice...matt finish as expected
As mentioned at the beggining I used Grime out to degrease the tyres.
Before

50/50

I also used on the plastic where it also left a nice darkening effect

Oh yeah...glass got a fresh coat of Angelwax h2go which is always nice to have.

I have not yet test the beading from the two LSPs...Ill do that soon and post it here. IMO Britemax stuff has it + and - bits but ultimately it did provide me with a super nice glassy like wet look finish on my wifes Clio which I drive for the most part. I actually went on a quick drive and noticed some heads turn on a 10 year old Renault Clio so that says a lot...

Now I gotta go and find time for the other 2 cars...I swear Ill get them done till July 2018

Thanks for watching
A&J

Last edited by A&J; 29-10-2017 at 07:58 PM.
A&J is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to A&J For This Useful Post:
Dan J (30-10-2017), Glen B (30-10-2017), sebjonesy (01-11-2017), sm81 (30-10-2017), Yellow Dave (29-10-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
sebjonesy
Washmitt Meister

nice job! I've got EE 2.0 and the Remax spray - just trying to figure out getting the best out of these products as they're not the easiest to apply but the finish is generally superb from them
sebjonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sebjonesy For This Useful Post:
A&J (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
MR X8X
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebjonesy View Post
nice job! I've got EE 2.0 and the Remax spray - just trying to figure out getting the best out of these products as they're not the easiest to apply but the finish is generally superb from them
Hi Seb , what are your issues with EE2 and Remax ? as long as you dont use to much which even then can be possible to over come with a little elbow grease. I have tested it in hot and even cold damp conditions and had no issues, no more and in some cases less than some of our competitors.
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.Remember and i cant emphasis more, less is more with these products due to the levels of product used a little goes a long way .
MR X8X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
sm81
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,114 Times in 988 Posts
Any updates? Can these product especially EE2 stand again automatic washes? What would be expected durability and How chemical resistance it is?
sm81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
A&J

Remax was gone after 14 days (1st wash), EE was still visible after a month.
Now after 2,5 months (about 3 or 4 washes) the car did not show any more paint protection so I applied a new wax this weekend.
Dont know what else to say.
Old 29-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
sm81
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,114 Times in 988 Posts
Only under 3 months ?? What went wrong?
sm81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 08:35 PM   #7
A&J

I may not have the best curing conditions in the world (garage) + weather was s#!t.

Perhaps I diddnt let EE cure long enough...god knows...I may have to do some further testing some day once I get a scrap panel from the car cemetery.
The Following User Says Thank You to A&J For This Useful Post:
sm81 (29-01-2018)
Old 29-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
MR X8X
Sponge Jockey

Garage
What wash shampoo were you using as this can contaminate the finish. When we tested it with britemax pure max shampoo we were getting alot longer than what you saw. Treat the finish like a ceramic coating so when you wash the car use a pure shampoo to not contaminate the finish so you keep the water behaviour of remax.
Old 29-01-2018, 10:07 PM   #9
A&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR X8X View Post
What wash shampoo were you using as this can contaminate the finish. When we tested it with britemax pure max shampoo we were getting alot longer than what you saw. Treat the finish like a ceramic coating so when you wash the car use a pure shampoo to not contaminate the finish so you keep the water behaviour of remax.
It was either OPT car wash or Angelwax shampoo.
The Following User Says Thank You to A&J For This Useful Post:
sm81 (29-01-2018)
Old 31-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #10
MR X8X
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Really surprised at Remax failing on first wash .As all i wash my car with is Britemax pure max and i still get a good show of protection as the car beads crazy. My concern is possible OPT wash has effected the product . Also if the panel is very cold when applied this can effect the curing process .You would not expect a glass coating to cure in cold damp conditions as this would effect how long the product will last .In testing i found when applied to a very cold panel outside at dusk you would get no beading . But given some warmth from the sun totally different results really good tight beads.
Also after re reading through your test on virtue. I am really surprised you were unable to remove the marks out of the paint with Britemax virtue and considering that Renault paint is quite soft. I have been able to remove 2000grit flattening marks with virtue and a microfibre cutting pad on the speed setting between 1-2.5 and no pressure at all with a rupes 15mk2. And the finish was LSP ready.