Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:21 PM   #11
footfistart
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyblue View Post
That's a great purchase and as you said very comfortable cruiser, will look wonderful when you've detailed it as you want.

If the wiring is still there for the sub, see if you can mount one elsewhere, alternately pop one in a small sub box in the boot - it will make a world of difference to the sound as the system is set up for one...

Enjoy
It's much better now now it has been tracked and some decent wellies fitted.

Regarding the sound system. Its a decent system as it has a 300watt amp under the drivers seat, has a million speakers in all doors and on the boot pillars and a amp for the subwoofer. I did post about this on a forum as the subwoofer sits where the spare wheel sits. In my case there is a 80litre lpg tank and for the life of me I cannot find the subwoofer. Found some very dodgy wiring coming off the controller for it but no sub. They are bloody expensive too. I do however have a subwoofer in the garage so I may see if it works and then go from there.

By the looks of it the controller has been moved and put on top of the battery.

Looks like a controller with the knob for the gain. I was meant to take it out and have a look but I've had no time to do it.

Things what I'm worries about. The wiring looks like its out of a house and to carry 240v down it. Bit of a bodge. I'll find some speaker cable and make a better job of it I think.

Ryan

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
footfistart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:25 PM   #12
footfistart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
Only problem cookie is that I'm very much south west of London but I appreciate the help and I didn't think about gumtree so thanks. Been looking on facebook, shpock and eBay but they are either the wrong offset or diameter. Some will come up I'm sure. Don't care about rubber as they will be swapped for what I've got now so ideally 17" with either 215/45/17 or 225/45/17. They will come.

Ryan

The Following User Says Thank You to footfistart For This Useful Post:
Cookies (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 08:31 PM   #13
footfistart

Garage
I've got one clean picture after I have it a quick once over.

Ryan

Old 06-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #14
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,125 Times in 3,745 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by footfistart View Post
Only problem cookie is that I'm very much south west of London but I appreciate the help and I didn't think about gumtree so thanks. Been looking on facebook, shpock and eBay but they are either the wrong offset or diameter. Some will come up I'm sure. Don't care about rubber as they will be swapped for what I've got now so ideally 17" with either 215/45/17 or 225/45/17. They will come.

Ryan

Cheers Ryan,

So Aberdeen might just be a wee bit too far lol. It'd be nothing to the big v70

Here's a set in London, bud. https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...els/1278908910

For some reason there appears to be quite a few sets of volvo alloys in Scotland....

Cooks

Sent from my Wenger 16999
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
footfistart (06-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #15
Mother-Goose

Sub'd! Love Volvos and this looks like a goodun - at this age etc you don't mind if you have the odd issue either do you, as opposed the hell you went through with that Mondeo!
Mother-Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:06 PM   #16
footfistart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother-Goose View Post
Sub'd! Love Volvos and this looks like a goodun - at this age etc you don't mind if you have the odd issue either do you, as opposed the hell you went through with that Mondeo!
I hope it turns out to be a goodun too. I'm not too fussed with issues. I think the idea with this one is to run it until I can no longer afford to repair it (head gasket).

I am glad the mondeo went and it's now someone else's issue.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #17
percymon

Garage
Good luck, hope its a lot easier ownership experience than the Mondy.

Get the mechanicals sorted/serviced whilst the weather is crappy; plenty of time for spit n polish, and the aesthetics in the spring
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #18
footfistart

Garage
So from a previous comment when no mentioned about cooling. Running the car whether in gas or on super unleaded the car never reaches the middle of the gauge and for thees cars is around 90℃ or operating temperature. The only time it gets up there and no higher is when the car is stationary for a few minutes in traffic. Then once set off the needle drops to the line below. A picture will follow.

My heating is not exactly toasty either which makes me thing either I have air in the system or the thermostat is stuck. I'm leaning more towards the stat because when mom in traffic and the gauge moves to the centre, warm/hot air comes through the vents. When at its normal temperature its luke warm.

From what I have read online the matrix is a constant flow style and when you move the climate control nobs you can hear parts moving deep within the dash.

I would like to flush the system anyways and change the tank on it too.

Tomorrow I'll have a look in to the subwoofer and also look at the original stereo that was fitted to the car. With Volvo everything is coded to the car so anything non original may either work but not everything or nothing at all. Bit of a pain as as far as I'm aware no one has created anything as such to revise things yourself. I have also been tasked to look for a specific bit of wiring which will allow me to then buy the OBD enhancer for the car where I can change setting like fog lights switching in with full beam etc etc. But I need to get the car into some sort of ship shape before anything else can materialise like a stage zero.

Ryan

Old 09-01-2018, 04:38 PM   #19
MadOnVaux!

Thanked 1,096 Times in 1,026 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the flex wiring....I used some old Dyson flex to wire in a 2nd boot light on my Insignia, it does the job fine....and is well hidden away.

I hope this is a good car for you
MadOnVaux! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #20
footfistart

Garage
The Dad Tank.

I agree Percymon I’m not doing any machining until spring time. I may try and reduce the scratches in the windscreen but there is a bad repair on the screen and I’ll show you but I think the hammer be the better option. You see what I mean

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by footfistart; 09-01-2018 at 07:32 PM.