Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,678 Posts
Garage
Buying car from 'Trade' centre...

Hi All,

Spotted a car that is priced well at a dealer some 300 miles away. I say priced well it's probably about £1000 to £1500 cheaper than everywhere else, it's an older BMW in good spec (Not an M5 lol). It's got lower than average miles on it.

I've checked all the MOT History on it, all seems really good.

There are 2 issues, the 1st is the seller is being honest and said there is no service history except for the stamps in the book from when it was new, it looks like. He said I'm not going to make up history or be dishonest and that is why it's at the price it is.

EDIT: He said they have put a new rocker cover gasket on it as it was weeping from there.

He said there's no Vanos Rattle or timing rattle on it, (It's done 100k these are average around 140 - 170k miles at the moment), I would assume if I go and I hear any rattle etc then my 'refundable' deposit would be refunded as it's not as they described.

It all sounds fair enough and they do have about 80 cars in stock at the moment.

The reviews of them online, there are some bad but none of them have been because of crap cars, more so selling cars before someones come to look as they didn't leave a holding deposit etc. The one that had a bad car go wrong 4 weeks down the line, they stated they gave him all his money back and refused to sell him another car.

They say that warranty isn't included but is at an 'extra' cost....I'm just asking, I Thought by law, any dealer that especially has as many cars as these and isn't some back alley guy flipping a couple of cars a month...have to by law have some form of warranty/come back if you drive it down the road and a major fault develops.

The actual car is something I want so if it did break something massively in a few months, I'd lump it and pay up. It's more of a heart over head decision wanting to actually buy such an old car in the first place, now they're showing up in modern classic mags etc.

I would be keeping the car for as long as I could so I would build up service history and if they keep rising in value and along with the love I give to it, would hopefully improve it's value... or at least not lose any.

1.) No service history...
2.) Supposedly a trade sale.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Starbuck88; 08-02-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
Sam6er

What engine is it and year? If its one of the diesel models that suffer timing chain issues then be prepared for the bill that goes with it. If its before the timing chain issues M47/M57 engine then itl be fine on the chain front so major costs should be minimal. Have you done a HPI check yet to see if the history is ok?
He should offer basic warranty but if its classed as a trade sale he might get way with it although im not sure that's entirely legal on his part as all cars sold from a business must come with 6 months engine/gearbox warranty.
Sam6er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam6er For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #3
Starbuck88

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam6er View Post
What engine is it and year? If its one of the diesel models that suffer timing chain issues then be prepared for the bill that goes with it. If its before the timing chain issues M47/M57 engine then itl be fine on the chain front so major costs should be minimal. Have you done a HPI check yet to see if the history is ok?
He should offer basic warranty but if its classed as a trade sale he might get way with it although im not sure that's entirely legal on his part as all cars sold from a business must come with 6 months engine/gearbox warranty.
It's a 530i and I think it's not the newer TU engine, so it has the in between vanos on it., I'm avoiding the diesel on purpose due to their issues and besides I've had countless diesels and want to run something a bit more fun, smooth, sound nice etc.

I know nobody can make the decision for me and I'm not asking if anybody thinks I should buy it or not unless for good reason of course.

If I pay a holding deposit, or the whole thing on a credit card...would I have recourse for a charge back?
Old 08-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #4
Sam6er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck88 View Post
It's a 530i and I think it's not the newer TU engine, so it has the in between vanos on it., I'm avoiding the diesel on purpose due to their issues and besides I've had countless diesels and want to run something a bit more fun, smooth, sound nice etc.

I know nobody can make the decision for me and I'm not asking if anybody thinks I should buy it or not unless for good reason of course.

If I pay a holding deposit, or the whole thing on a credit card...would I have recourse for a charge back?
The 3.0 engines are usually bullet proof apart from the vanos as you said. Check for oil leaks around the manifold as the gasket on these engines take a beating and dry up causing oil leaks, not a very expensive fix mind. Check the gearbox is working as intended and if its a manual id get the fluid changed out and if its an auto id get the whole gearbox service done (Which includes a new sump/fluid/mechatronic sleeve).

My sister has run an X3 3.0 petrol into 100k+ and has had no issues apart from a rad leak and manifold gasket turned to stone lol.

Just give it some good oil and keep it changed every 10k rather than the recommended 20k miles.

For me it would all depend on the overall condition of the car. My most recent 330d E91 when i bought it looked a sad sight and i guess that's what put off alot of buyers but the engine and all mechanicals were solid, mainly has bodywork issues, but that didn't bother me much seeing as it was my daily for work and back.

On the credit card front, i believe it should be covered by them if you purchase part or all of it on credit card, but im not too familiar with the credit card laws, so best to read up on them.

Last edited by Sam6er; 08-02-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Sam6er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam6er For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,345 Times in 4,430 Posts
It could have the service info logged on idrive if it has it , they don't use books know, take a test drive and go to BMW dealer and get the key read to see when serviced etc?
Derekh929 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derekh929 For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #6
Banksy40
Sponge Jockey

Garage
If its is old enough to have gone through an MOT take a look online and see where it was done.

Give the garage a call and see if they did any other work on it.
Banksy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Banksy40 For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
andy665

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,036 Posts
In terms of warranty - yes by law they have to provide a warranty but this can be simply them stating that they will effect repairs within a given timeframe - there is no legal obligation to provide a 3rd party warranty

To be fair to them it sounds like they are being upfront and honest
andy665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andy665 For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #8
Starbuck88

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam6er View Post
The 3.0 engines are usually bullet proof apart from the vanos as you said. Check for oil leaks around the manifold as the gasket on these engines take a beating and dry up causing oil leaks, not a very expensive fix mind. Check the gearbox is working as intended and if its a manual id get the fluid changed out and if its an auto id get the whole gearbox service done (Which includes a new sump/fluid/mechatronic sleeve).

My sister has run an X3 3.0 petrol into 100k+ and has had no issues apart from a rad leak and manifold gasket turned to stone lol.

Just give it some good oil and keep it changed every 10k rather than the recommended 20k miles.

For me it would all depend on the overall condition of the car. My most recent 330d E91 when i bought it looked a sad sight and i guess that's what put off alot of buyers but the engine and all mechanicals were solid, mainly has bodywork issues, but that didn't bother me much seeing as it was my daily for work and back.

On the credit card front, i believe it should be covered by them if you purchase part or all of it on credit card, but im not too familiar with the credit card laws, so best to read up on them.
This is it at the end of the day, it looks clean enough online, the seller has been honest as far as I can tell and the proof in the pudding would be in seeing it. It's just a long drive there and back if I'm not comfortable with it when I get there (I agree less hassle then driving buying it and it being a lemon however lololol).

They HPi all their cars etc so I will be able to see proof of that (I'll do my own anyway too but belt and braces).

And even if I say so myself, I'm not an idiot and know my way around a car.

I just doubt myself a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekh929 View Post
It could have the service info logged on idrive if it has it , they don't use books know, take a test drive and go to BMW dealer and get the key read to see when serviced etc?
Yeah its a bit too old for that. It's an E39, but good shout thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy40 View Post
If its is old enough to have gone through an MOT take a look online and see where it was done.

Give the garage a call and see if they did any other work on it.
On all the mot histories I've looked at recently for other cars and this including the ones I own now....it just says "Test location unavailable until further notice" again, a good shout though.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #9
wish wash

If something happens within 30 days you can reject the car under consumer act. After 30 days to 6 months your entitled to a repair / replacement free of charge. After 6 months you have to prove the issue was there when you bought it.

I would be wary if he try's to get you to sign something about no warranty.
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wish wash For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #10
kingswood
Orbital Oracle

these types of cars are all about history, its £1000-1500 cheaper than others youve seen but you dont say how much it is!

if its a trade sale, no warranty - aprat from the bare minimun - id be tempted to go through the classifies and find one local.

buy cheap, buy twice
kingswood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kingswood For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (08-02-2018)