Detailing World Forum banner

Defined Details - Tesla Model S - New Car Protection Plus - Glasgow

32K views 34 replies 34 participants last post by  chrisgreen 
#1 ·
Defined Details - Tesla Model S - New Car Protection Plus - Glasgow

The Home of Vehicle Perfection.

Email: info.defineddetails@gmail.com | Tel: 07817 224 869.
www.defined-details.co.uk[/B]

I was contacted by the future owner of a brand new Tesla Model S. He informed me due to eventually picking up this new purchase. He was planning on Flying down to London and driving the Tesla back hope. Tesla where prepared to deliver the vehicle on the Tuesday. But due to the long waiting time. The owner prefer to take delivery personally and take delivery prior to going off on holiday.
On the evening the car was dropped off and a per detail appraisal was carried out. On inspection it was clear there where many marks within the finish. That would have to be address. Prior to being coated.
Excuse the bugs and grim on the panels. But at this stage the car had covered over 400 miles during the previous night and had not been wash. This would be carried out the following morning.

Most of the defect thus far where cause in the preparation. Prior to hand over. The defect shown below. Where unfortunately manufacturer related and the finish of the paintwork within the factory.

DA Micro marking

Typical machine holograming

DA Pigtails still in the finish

It was clear to see the car would require a minimum of a two stage polish to remove the defects present.

The following day the day was moved outside and the standard wash process and chemical decontamination took place.

Bugs where pre treated with bug removers to aid and soften. Prior to pre washing.

While the bug remover was left to work. I moved onto the wheels and arches. Wheels were cleaned with smartwheels, Tyres & Arches degrease and worked over with varrious brushes and the rinsed under high pressure. Iron X was used to further remove any fallout present on or within the wheels.

The cars body work was rinse under high pressure. Prior to receiving the first of two snow foams and rinsing clean.

Once i was happy that most of the heavy grim bug residue where removed. The paint work was once again treated with Iron X to remove any metal from within the paintwork.
The car then received and dedicated two bucket wash and rinsed free of any shampoo and residue. Prior to being returned to the unit to be Clay bared.

Once clayed and dried off. The paintwork was given a dedicated wipe down to remove any fillers applied during the vehicle prep work. This leave the paint work squeaky clean and ready for paint assessments to be carried out.
As the initial assessment it was clear that the clear on this vehicle was very soft and responded well to a middle of the road correctional polish and pad combo. This combo would be used within all the correction work. Prior to being further refined with a dedicated finish polish and pad.

Few picture taken under a 3M Sungun showing before and after shot. No refining or finishing at this time. Fully wiped down to remove any possible filling or masking at cutting stage.

Da sanding haze

The interior was given a light wipe over with Polish Angel Bellaclean. To cleanse the leather and clean all the hard surfaces. Polish Angel Intimate was used to protect hard surface and Gtech L1 to protect the leather.

Engine bay cleaned and protected hahaha.

Finished interior.

Once I was happy with the level of correction and this was verified under a verity of different lights sources. I moved on to a light finishing set and then carried out a further wipe down prior to CquartzUk being applied. Within the recommended guidelines laid down by CarproUK and there detailer approval scheme. Angelwax H2GO rain repellent was applied to the all window.

CquartzUk was applied and left over night to fullu cure. Prior to Reload being applied to protect the coating from environmental damage and safe guard the product till it become chemical reisstant and full hardened.
Few picture late in the evening prior to reload and finish off Tyres and trims.

Early the following day a light dusting of Carpro Reload was applied, Trims & Arches protected with Carpro Perl. And the car was given a final check over prior to handover on a bight and sunny morning.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post and hope you found it interesting. All comments and questions welcome.

Gordon.

See less See more
#32 ·
Top drawer work as always Gordon. :wave:

We've seen some horrendous examples of these come through the door (as we've done a few) but they are taking steps to improve the condition of the cars before they leave the West Drayton depot anyway. I've had a couple of their guys come in and buy refinishing products from us.

However, due to the sheer volume of cars they have to prepare for collection they don't get any longer than approx 1 hour per car (inside and out) so they'll never be anywhere near perfect.

Fortunately for us they are a joy to work on, despite the sheer size of them and look amazing when completed to a level such as this. :thumb:

Alex

#33 ·
A very good piece of work for sure. Well done @DefinedDetails.

In relation to the imperfections from the outset, as stated above, Tesla USA are looking at ways to improve. Being a new manufacturer, perfection takes time and it is safe to say Tesla are getting there. The Model S is a very unique car and should be appreciated for a lot more than its beautiful body!

EVERY "new" car, regardless of brand, has imperfections. Some less and others more..
I have worked on various high end new cars and I can assure anybody that this Tesla's imperfections is no different. 99% of new cars leave the dealers like this regardless of the badge.

#35 ·
Truly excellent work there.

Sadly, I've heard of several Tesla S cars with horrific paintwork, including seeing a few in their dealership in West Drayton (just round the corner from my house). Suggests that bodywork QA is not a high priority for them, which is sad on such a nice (and expensive) car.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.