Detailing World Forum banner
21K views 31 replies 29 participants last post by  caledonia 
#1 · (Edited)
BMW E46 M3 (BMD Genisis) - Defined Details

The Home of Vehicle Perfection.

Email:- info.defineddetails@gmail.com | Tel:- 07817 224 869.

Having previously detailed and corrected the owners Serria Cosworth. Dave contacted me once again to inform me he has now purchased an E46 M3. And although it was a low mileage car with great service history and the like. Had suffered from neglect in the paint department and is could do with a freshen up. After viewing the M3 we both decided on a course of treatment to bring this up to the standard, he would be happy with. This one was not going to be a total garage queen like his Cossy. But used when and where he could.
Moving on to the detail. The BMW was treated to the same and standard wash and decontamination as all vehicle that we detail. 2 snow foams followed with a 2BW. All wheels cleaned and fallout and tar removed from all external surfaces. Prior to a further bucket wash to remove residue left behind from the previous course of treatments.
It was then brought inside to be safely clay bared and due to the current weather condition. This was gently heated and softened with warm water, to reduce marring and ease of use.

Positioning the clay bar between finger tips and the palm of you hand also reduces the risk of uneven pressure and pressure marring. This can also be used to further reduce the risk of marring by using your finger tips and palm as a guide. This way it is supporting the weight of your arm and you are not barring down on the clay.

Once the vehicle had been fully clayed and dried with either a plush drying towel or air dryer. The M3 was treated to a spies hecker wipe down to further remove clay lube and any filler or wax present on the vehicle.
Various reading where taken across the vehicle and a dedicated test set carried out to visually check the leave of correction combined with paint removal rates. I settled on Menzerna PF2100 on a green Hexlogic pad. But there would be localized scratches that required the same polish and an upgrade in spot pad to Orange.
Defects present and corrected. Before and afters using PF2100 on various pads.
Generally worked at no more that 1500Rpm and no refining at this stage.
After shot taken after a further Spies wipe down to give a true reflection and condition of the paint.

As with any form of paint correction it is imperative that defects are show under varying light sources. Within this detail. Metal halide, 50watt LEDs fluorescent strip lighting and the sungun was used.

Bonnet.

After the initial correction set. I was left with a random mark. Which was dealt with locally on a spot pad and this was conserving the clear for a latter day.

N/S Front wing.

N/S Door.

N/S 3/4 Panel

O/S 3/4 Panel

O/S Door

O/S Front Wing

After the full car was corrected. I then turned to FF 4000 on a Blue 3M pads and refined and jewel the finish. This was carried out varying the speed and working area, whist rejuvenating the polish oils to gain the most form this combo and increase the gloss.
The full vehicle was then given a final wipe down, verifying the quality of the finis as I went.
Wheels sealed with FK 1000P, Tyres sealed with RD50, Arches dressed with Meg All seasons and paintwork protected with BMD Genesis paste wax.
Once again Thank you for taking the time to read through this post and I will leave you the after shots from within the unit and natural daylight from the skylights.
Gordon.

See less See more
1 46
#19 ·
Thanks Dennis. Glad to see your still around on the forum m8. :thumb:
Some munchy boxes well spent there :p

The gloss levels are almost surreal.
You leave my dietary habits alone As you can talk with the amount of food you have packed in recently :lol:
Hi Gordon beautiful work and how a outstanding detailer should show his work off
showing use of different lights which will show different marks holograms etc also they way you show befores and after with no stepping back or completely different angles and no focusing camera on light and not the paint.

Great work as always :thumb:
Thanks Lee. You have known me long enough and most of all how I work. But agree with you totally. Lighting shows up all manner of differnt defects and should be highlighted. To show true correction. :thumb:
Excellent work Gordon. All the best for the New Year coming soon.
And you too my friend all the best in the coming year and look forward to some of your fine detailing examples.
Stunning mate. Is it on 18's then changed to the polished 19's? or do my eyes deceive me?
Your eyes did not decisive you and glad to see someone notice. The M3 arrived with its Winter boots on and left with its Summer wheels on. They where both sealed during the detail.

Still one of my all time favourite cars, top job :thumb::thumb:
Thanks Derek and Happy New when it comes.

Thank you to all those that have viewed, read & commented on this post.
Gordon.

#5 ·
Hi Gordon beautiful work and how a outstanding detailer should show his work off
showing use of different lights which will show different marks holograms etc also they way you show befores and after with no stepping back or completely different angles and no focusing camera on light and not the paint.

Great work as always :thumb:

Reactions: caledonia
#23 ·
Thank you for the kind words.

On the BM it was medium to hard. But like every car a test set is always of benefit to determine removal rates in comparison to the level of cut being created with your pad and polish combo. This will inform you as to the true level of hardness. Not the badge or manufacturer.
Gordon.

#32 ·
Welcome any a time Bruce. Just bring one of those fine motors along. Cant beat some nice eye candy. :thumb:
Cracking results there Gordon:thumb:

All the best for '14!:wave:

Chris
Same to you Chris. Hope you are well m8.
That looks fantastic Gordon.

Are you coming south to do any courses? I really liked those days out.
There is talk Andy. But this is all it is at present. Last year was a bit of a blur. So mainly down to if and when I can free up some time. But have made some real good friends down south. So it would certainly be a welcome visit for all.

Thank you all for the gracious comment. There are welcome and very much appreciated..
Gordon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.