Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 14-08-2016, 12:00 AM   #21
JR1982
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
No probs chum. RE the hands free kit, the head unit is a canbus system and doesn't have a switched live at the rear. This has to be taken from the back of the heater control panel.

Cruise is a very easy fit, a friend did it on his 2004 a4, so I'd assume it's the same on the passat. He bought the stalk, lower steering wheel cowling, fitted them and the got a friend with VAGCOM to code it, hey presto, all done for around 180 quid.

Cooks

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Thanks bud, I will look into that then. Taking it on a proper run for a couple of days then the mods and cleaning with start
JR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1982 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (14-08-2016)
Old 14-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #22
Twizz
Orbital Oracle

If this is the 2.0 TDi fitted with the 140BHP "BKP" engine, have a look at doing the balancer shaft. I replaced mine using a regenerated one from KMB direct iirc.

You're right, the S wasn't fitted as standard with rear speakers as it was the base model... Unless the option box was ticked as you say... Yours probably has the four spoke steering wheel too? You can retrofit quite a lot of stuff from other B6 Passats and have the various bits coded. I've got a SE now and had a Sport too.

Check out UKPassats (forum dedicated to Passats of any age).
Twizz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Twizz For This Useful Post:
Cookies (14-08-2016), JR1982 (19-08-2016), Pignut71 (15-08-2016)
Old 14-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #23
JR1982

Garage
Thanks that sounded like a fun job
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR1982 For This Useful Post:
jdquinn (04-02-2017), Pignut71 (15-08-2016)
Old 14-08-2016, 10:23 PM   #24
JR1982

Garage
Came down south today, effortless drive probably could of managed +60mpg but got a bit carried away in places so only got 49mpg. Anyway I've noticed that it sometimes holds gears a bit to long before changing up and noticeable pauses before changing down, and it's making me a bit paranoid. Sport mode seems slower than normal as it really doesn't like changing up although flicking into manual is perfect. Is this a minor thing like its needs an oil change or should I be really worried, it's under warranty but don't want to get fobbed off by the garage.
Pignut71 (15-08-2016)
Old 15-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #25
AJO
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1982 View Post
Came down south today, effortless drive probably could of managed +60mpg but got a bit carried away in places so only got 49mpg. Anyway I've noticed that it sometimes holds gears a bit to long before changing up and noticeable pauses before changing down, and it's making me a bit paranoid. Sport mode seems slower than normal as it really doesn't like changing up although flicking into manual is perfect. Is this a minor thing like its needs an oil change or should I be really worried, it's under warranty but don't want to get fobbed off by the garage.
Just remember that the DSG is actually a manual box, with clutches so it wont be as smooth as a true Auto. The DSG box does actually learn your driving and adapts as you drive it too, so if you are driving somewhere in a rush and then change driving styles it may well hold on to the gears a little longer than you would normally like.

It will also have learnt the previous drivers, driving style a little bit too and that may take a while to iron out.

My R36 worried me at first but after a few months it smoothed out.

You can do a full reset of the box too via VCDS if you want. The DSG box should have had two services by 100K does your service history back that up? If its due one, get VW to check for any software updates reset the box at the same time.

DSG boxes are great. There are horror stories as there are with most things, but if they are serviced correctly (40K intervals) then you shouldn't have issues. Some of the mechatronic units had problems but TBH, if that was going to throw a wobbly it would probably have done it by now.
AJO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AJO For This Useful Post:
JR1982 (19-08-2016), sshooie (20-08-2016)
Old 15-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #26
JR1982

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJO View Post
Just remember that the DSG is actually a manual box, with clutches so it wont be as smooth as a true Auto. The DSG box does actually learn your driving and adapts as you drive it too, so if you are driving somewhere in a rush and then change driving styles it may well hold on to the gears a little longer than you would normally like.

It will also have learnt the previous drivers, driving style a little bit too and that may take a while to iron out.

My R36 worried me at first but after a few months it smoothed out.

You can do a full reset of the box too via VCDS if you want. The DSG box should have had two services by 100K does your service history back that up? If its due one, get VW to check for any software updates reset the box at the same time.

DSG boxes are great. There are horror stories as there are with most things, but if they are serviced correctly (40K intervals) then you shouldn't have issues. Some of the mechatronic units had problems but TBH, if that was going to throw a wobbly it would probably have done it by now.
Did wonder if this was the case, it's booked in on Wednesday anyway so there going to have a look whilst it's in. It's the same garage that's looked after it since day one and although there not vw dealers they used to be and have kept up all the training etc.. The people that owned it have really looked after it well with the only sign of any wear being on the electric window switches so finger crossed with everything else
Pignut71 (15-08-2016)
Old 17-08-2016, 11:25 PM   #27
JR1982

Garage
Made a start with decontaminating it tonight, engine bay got a good dosing of g101 along with a quick scrub and blast with the pressure washer.
I then moved on to the wheels as they where a bit horrible in places, again started with g101 then moved onto some AF iron out

These cleaned up well but it was too dark to take any finished shots so that can wait till tomorrow, also gave it a good wash and started to decontaminate the body work

Also managed to debagde to tailgate as well, which makes it look better and makes it easier to polish.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR1982 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (18-08-2016), Hondafan1 (19-08-2016)
Old 19-08-2016, 12:06 AM   #28
JR1982

Garage
Had a couple more items arrive today

New speakers for the rear

And a new armrest for the front

Also had to fit the new number plates as I had to pop out

So back to the big clean up, gave it a quick wash followed by clay and lube.
Didn't end up as dirty as I thought it would.

Then moved onto the polishing. Started with some poor boys ssr-1 as I needed to make bits like this look better

Which now look like this

Overall turned out like this

Then I got the first of my new products out which was AF ultra glaze, never used this before and wasn't expecting it to be so watery. And after applying it which seemed far to easy I didn't expect much but was pleasantly surprised.

The paint then came alive

Then onto new product number 2 meguiars mirror glaze, which again was really pleased with.

Then moved on to the trim and decided to start with dressing the engine bay

Again this all cleaned up nicely

Extremely pleased with the finished results although I will give it another coat of wax tomorrow, I also polished the glass and finished the trim with some AG products

Just the inside to do now
Cookies (19-08-2016)
Old 19-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #29
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 4,207 Times in 3,116 Posts
Garage
That looks miles better now chum. The silver is sparkling.

Keep the updates coming.

Cooks

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
JR1982 (19-08-2016)
Old 19-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #30
AJO
Washmitt Meister

Looks much better.

Arm rest is interesting, is it from an Audi A4?

I didn't realise the Passat B6 ever came without an armrest to be honest. I've never seen one without.
AJO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AJO For This Useful Post:
JR1982 (19-08-2016)