Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 04-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
ttc6
Sponge Jockey

Our Gateway Porsche

Hello All

Just want to start by saying thanks for the wealth of information shared on this forum. I've used it to great effect in the past, but only ever on cars which weren't in the best of shape to begin with. I'm posting here now to make sure I get this right with something a bit more special...

It's an early 2.7 986. Quite boring in spec, but crucially very well looked after by one owner from new. It's been used properly, and we plan to continue that trend - in fact we will be using it every day. I plan to protect it accordingly - not something I've done before.

There are few problem areas which need attention (it really is very good), I'll post up as I tackle them. I'll search / post in the relevant areas if necessary, but if anyone would like to offer advice on my plan as a whole here I would be more than grateful for the advice.

My previous experience is of paint correction by rotary - I used the advice on here, got stuck in, and have been very impressed by the results. I have one tub of DJ Diamond White that has been doing the rounds for about 5 years, it's been on 5 cars, I get on very well with it but the 986 needs a bit more. I'm not afraid of spending money where it's necessary, but I can't really justify having multiples of exotic products on hand - I get through them pretty slowly as I never wash the cars as often as I'd like. My current arsenal goes something like this:

Valet Pro Snow Foam (not had great results) + decent lance on Nilfisk machine
Surfex (love it)
Car Pro TRIX (used a whole bottle on a motorway warrior and removed virtually zero)
Bilberry Wheel Cleaner (seems to need a lot of work and plenty of blowback - ran out)
DJ Shampoo (Basics IIRC) + 2 buckets
Sonus Clay (not tried)
Menzerna PF2500 / FF3000 + 3M pads (loads left, advice on pads sought)
Aforementioned tub of DJ DW
CG Speed Wipe (alright I presume - don't use it much because I'm never sure how it reacts with what's underneath)

I'm planning to move towards the BH range for most of my stuff. Partly because I've been really impressed with what I have tried (and the science), and partly because I get confused by having cross sections of different product ranges on my shelf.

So, plan for the Boxster:

BH Surfex, Dynax UC - underneath
BH Auto Foam, Auto Wheel, Korrosol - shiny side (up)
Clay, small amount of correction
Gtechniq Total Surface Protection Kit (CSL, Exo, C4, C5, G1, I1, L1, C6, ought to do it)

Bits I'm not sure about yet: (will answer these as I go along)

Headlights: totally clear as yet, need some protection from UV. PPF or ceramic? One prominent scratch, how to deal with without compromising the factory UV protection?
Hood: how to remove any existing protection if any (Surfex?), how to protect the plastic window (seen some good stuff on cleaning / restoring, not required here) - may well ask Gtechniq. Same for poly wind deflector
Corrosion on calipers (anodised I think)
Corrosion on exhaust finisher

All I can think of for now. I look forward to sharing my results with you. I'm pretty well sold on the Gtechniq system but keen to hear of results from alternatives. Almost as drawn to the interior sealants as exterior coatings - especially with the propensity for moisture and UV in a drop top.

Thanks!

PS: previous results on the motorway warrior - soon to depart. DJ DW over dealer applied Supagard! He was really keen to do it (for "free") so I let him on the agreement that he didn't seal in any swirls. Did a surprisingly good job. Here it is after two years (washed about three times in total...):

ttc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ttc6 For This Useful Post:
daydotz (04-11-2017), Derekh929 (16-11-2017), Fentum (04-11-2017), WHIZZER (27-11-2017)
Old 16-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #2
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,856 Times in 4,041 Posts
Very nice Boxter you got there, so great cars out there know at good money lots with low miles as well, enjoy. Your beemers looking great there as well
Derekh929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 10:15 PM   #3
James_R
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Nice little Boxster there.

I've got a 987, and I've used 303 Fabric Cleaner on the hood, before protecting with the 303 fabric Guard.

I'm pretty impressed with it, I did it back in June and its holding up quiet nicely in the weather, and light rain beads up on it really well.

In fairness when the cars outside all day and it rains all day, your never going to get any product to fully repel without soaking in to some degree.

I'd buy the 303 Fabric guard again and I reckon if I got some now and topped up the hood with 2 coats it would be worthwhile.

6 months in and still working I'm pretty happy.
James_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
ttc6
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekh929 View Post
Very nice Boxter you got there, so great cars out there know at good money lots with low miles as well, enjoy. Your beemers looking great there as well
Thanks very much. Such good value they represent at the moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_R View Post
Nice little Boxster there.

I've got a 987, and I've used 303 Fabric Cleaner on the hood, before protecting with the 303 fabric Guard.

I'm pretty impressed with it, I did it back in June and its holding up quiet nicely in the weather, and light rain beads up on it really well.

In fairness when the cars outside all day and it rains all day, your never going to get any product to fully repel without soaking in to some degree.

I'd buy the 303 Fabric guard again and I reckon if I got some now and topped up the hood with 2 coats it would be worthwhile.

6 months in and still working I'm pretty happy.
Thanks James, that's very helpful. I shall look into it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ttc6 For This Useful Post:
Derekh929 (20-11-2017)
Old 20-11-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
Andyblue

Very nice Boxter you've got and yes, definitely looks like it's been well looked after
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 06:39 PM   #6
Demetri
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,609 Times in 2,396 Posts
Garage
Great looking motor
Demetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #7
ttc6
Sponge Jockey

Thanks both!

Work continues apace on the workshop at the moment, small distraction. It's been a long process to get to this stage but starting to come together now the lights are up...

I might do a thread on the build of the mancave if people are interested.

Haven't done anything to the 986 apart from drive it yet. It's looking like we may well keep the F20 through this winter and start afresh in the new year.
Old 26-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #8
JwilliamsM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttc6 View Post
Thanks both!

Work continues apace on the workshop at the moment, small distraction. It's been a long process to get to this stage but starting to come together now the lights are up...

I might do a thread on the build of the mancave if people are interested.

Haven't done anything to the 986 apart from drive it yet. It's looking like we may well keep the F20 through this winter and start afresh in the new year.
Yes please do a thread on the mancave, I'm always after ideas for mine in currently having built!
JwilliamsM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JwilliamsM For This Useful Post:
nickyd (26-11-2017)
Old 26-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #9
ttc6
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JwilliamsM View Post
Yes please do a thread on the mancave, I'm always after ideas for mine in currently having built!
Funny, I was just reading through your thread now! I think you need a floor like mine - I’ll comment in your thread.

I’ll get on to writing mine up!
Old 26-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #10
ted11

Thanked 1,524 Times in 986 Posts
Garage
I have a great set of new bbs rep wheels and tyres that would look the dogs on that.
ted11 is offline   Reply With Quote