Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 27-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
C16 RKC's Mercedes S320 CDi project

I've actually had the S320CDi for over a year now... but following my last experiences:

C16 RKC Daimler V8 project
C16 RKC Jaguar Super V8 project
C16 RKC Mercedes S430L project
C16 RKC Jaguar X358 Sovereign project

I thought I should start a new one up for my current Merc. Unfortunately work on my house has meant that there are quite a few things left to do on the poor old girl, but she is mechanically quite good so it's mostly cosmetic this year. But the following is an update on what I have done to date!

I bought her in November 2013. She had 175,000 miles on the clock and I bought her on a Sunday in a blind panic as I had no car. The intention had been to sell here after I found a better car... but I ended up liking this car so much I thought I would spend the money tidying her up. I was particularly impressed with the performance and economy from a 175,000 mile car! So anyway here she is....

She had dents to all doors and wings, very worn leather seats and armrest, dashboard lot up like a Christmas tree with faults and at the time had 17" wheels.

I drew up a basic list of things that urgently needed doing!

1) Have dashboard errors diagnosed (suspect simple cassette module in steering column).
2) Have dent guy push out dents.
3) Take care of excessive stone chips on front bumper and bonnet.
4) Repair heated seat.
5) Purchase and fit new cases on remote keys.
6) Fit new bonnet struts (old ones are so stiff bonnet barely opens).
7) Have leather seats replaced or coloured/repaired.
8) Respray rear drivers side corner trim which is badly scuffed.
9) Diagnose non-working front parking sensors.
10) Replace awful 17" wheels with something better.

As you can see in the photo I took case of item 10 straight away with a nice set of AMG wheels - all be it that they were in quite a bad state...

Next update will show work done!
c16rkc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
So the first thing to attend to was the bonnet struts. Purchased some nice replacements from Ebay for not too much cash...

I propped the bonnet up with a stick and actually found these are much more of a pain to fit that I had thought!

But after some furious stretching and compressing the dampers into position I managed it and that's one job done....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c16rkc For This Useful Post:
*Milkybar* (27-01-2015), luke w (27-01-2015)
Old 27-01-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
*Milkybar*
Unwashed Member

Just read through your other threads and I've subscribed to this. Nice work!
*Milkybar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Mindis
Orbital Oracle

Subscribed
Mindis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 12:47 AM   #5
James_G
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Having read your other threads, I'm looking forward to this. Love seeing a nice Merc brought back to life.
James_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #6
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Now perhaps I should have censored these next pictures.... When I purchased the car it had this rather strange 'R-SOOL' number plates on it. It did not take long for my colleagues to work out what that sounded a bit like. Why someone paid to put these on it beyond me!

I ebayed them and promptly got rid.... the sale pretty much only covered the transfer so I made little out of it.

Anyway.......

There were a very high number of stone chips present across the front bumper and bonnet - as well as some scrapes to the bottom edge of the bumper. I decided to touch some of these in with paint to reduce the impact.

Some before shots:

And a couple of afters:

Just takes the eye away a little - won't last long but will have to wait until I can afford the re-spray work...

Another thing I cannot stand it that awful grill with the star in the middle - will have to find an original grill from somewhere and replace!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,303 Posts
Garage
Nice car, that front bumper is a brilliant improvement, even if it is for the short term
Christian6984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #8
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
One of the most dissapointing things I found when I bought the Merc was that neither the heating or cooling worked in the drivers seat.

On closer inspection I found that the cooling did not work on the passenger seat either - but the heating did - so I've been riding around with the capability to warm up my passengers bum, but with no way to warm my own cold behind!

Obviously this will not do... so I did a bit of research on how to fix the issue. First I took out the offending chair. I placed it on towels on the concrete floor of the fire room in our house (which has been stripped to a bare shell so is perfect to work in).

I had read that it is possible to locate the point at which the heating elements in the chair have snapped/burnt out and re-solder them back together. First I had to dismantle the chair itself.

I found the point at which the heating element had burnt and re-soldered together.

I then used my multi-meter to check the continuity through the coil - Bugger! Still open circuit!!

I hunted for another break, shorting the cable out to a known good cable (half split method) to try and narrow down it's location. but some of the cushion is near impossible to locate without pulling some parts of the fabric apart that I am not comfortable trying to repair. So I gave up! Plan B it is!!

I took the remainder of the cushion off, and purchased some aftermarket heating element pads. I inserted and stuck these into place on the base and back of the chair.

They had to be cut to size to fit (they still work when you do this!). I then soldered these new pads into the existing wiring harness plugs.

So then I re-fitted the chair into the car and then came the moment of truth.... pleased to say it all works.

I now have a warm bum (and back) again!!! I can certainly recommend the aftermarket carbot heating pads - I got these off Ebay and they are great! The principal would obviously work on any make of car and the pads are supplied with all the controls/buttons if you are fitting into a car without heated seats as standard. I would encourage anyone to try this!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c16rkc For This Useful Post:
JB052 (12-02-2015), SBM (17-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #9
MadOnVaux!
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,096 Times in 1,026 Posts
Nice work, very satisfying to work on a seat and get it back to how it should be

What about the cooling though? and a good opportunity to hoover under the drivers seat too

oh, and is this the grill you're looking for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-S...item1e99905bb0

Last edited by MadOnVaux!; 11-02-2015 at 05:27 PM.
MadOnVaux! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadOnVaux! For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (11-02-2015), irish pete (01-09-2016)
Old 11-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #10
c16rkc
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Thanks for the comments - Yes I did give the car a good hoover ha ha.

That's a pre-2003 grill (there was a minor facelift) so unfortunately no good. I actually ordered and took delivery or a used grill from a breakers but it had so many stone chips that I sent it back.

I've ordered a brand new Grill from the Mercedes dealer - and funny enough my partner collected it from the dealers this morning. Cost me a cool £200 including VAT but I think it will be worth it.